Anyone Get The 'fuck Flu'? What Were The Symptoms?

Guest Saturn1

Guest Saturn1

Hey, all! I feel okay in general but I have been feeling really tired, lately. I also have been blowing my nose alot and I don't have allergies. Maybe I just have a cold? I have been taking POZ cock for awhile, now. Maybe I'm finally converting? I don't know. What do you think? What was your experience like?

• Moderators

That sounds like ordinary flu or a cold. There have been some nasty bugs of that type going around this spring. My husband and I have both had it.

That said, I hope it's the flu you've been waiting for.

I did go through the fuck flu and it sucked, though wasn't as bad as some of the stories I have heard from people.

Mine, start to finish, went like this:

- Started with a low fever (100.3 degrees fahrenheit).

- Went to bed that first night with extreme shaking chills, never had them that bad in my life.

- Fever increased over the next few days, peaking at 102.6 F.

- Felt miserably fatigued over those few days and did not want to do anything but lay in bed.

- Fever tapered off after about five days.

- After the fever was gone, I had diarrhea like a motherfucker for the next three or so days.

I would say from start to finish, it was about 10 days before I started feeling normal again. What alarmed me at the time was that in the past, I have never gotten a fever for no apparent reason. I had always gotten it along with things like strep throat or a sinus infection, things like that.

What you have doesn't sound like fuck flu, especially if you don't have a fever.

Guest Saturn1

Actually, I had a slight fever of like 99.8 for a few days. I took my temperature a  few hours ago and it's 100.7. No shaking or chills. No extreme night sweats. I took some aspirin to try and break the fever.

Actually, I had a slight fever of like 99.8 for a few days. I took my temperature a  few hours ago and it's 100.7. No shaking or chills. No extreme night sweats. I took some aspirin to try and break the fever.

Hell, you're not even close. My temp ran between 102 and 103 for several days; I alternatively thought I was on fire or freezing (I was in front of the gas fireplace, the thermostat set at 82, 2 comforters over me, and I was still freezing). Every muscle felt as if an elf was inside, pounding with a hammer, and I was delirious for a couple of days.

Hey, all! I feel okay in general but I have been feeling really tired, lately. I also have been blowing my nose alot and I don't have allergies. Maybe I just have a cold? I have been taking POZ cock for awhile, now. Maybe I'm finally converting? I don't know. What do you think? What was your experience like?

Hell, you're not even close. My temp ran between 102 and 103 for several days; I alternatively thought I was on fire or freezing (I was in front of the gas fireplace, the thermostat set at 82, 2 comforters over me, and I was still freezing). Every muscle felt as if an elf was inside, pounding with a hammer, and I was delirious for a couple of days.

Its important to remember that only about 30% of people actually get a "fuck flu" that would be on par with having the actual flu.  Also just like diagnosing ANYTHING medical over the internet, you are likely not going to be very accurate.  Many people who have acute HIV infection have extremely light to no symptoms of the infection, and because the symptoms are so similar to regular common illnesses or even allergies, its impossible to tell the difference without the proper tests. Could your current cold be an HIV infection? sure.  But so could a month ago when you felt great.  My friend who became HIV+ about two years ago had no symptoms whatsoever, but another fuck buddy who converted years ago was sick as hell for two weeks, another guy I know just felt mildy "off"  It all depends on your body, strain, reaction, etc.     

• Upvote 3

Yes, you can't predict conversion from the symptoms.  Only way to know for sure is to get tested in a few weeks and see.  That being said, I had a pretty extreme "flu" when I converted.  Fever, aches, chills, bone crushing fatigue, swollen glands.  No cold/flu symptoms like sneezing, coughing, congestion, sore throat.  I was sick in bed for 2 straight weeks.  The fatigue lasted at least a month and the swollen glands never completely went away.  From what you describe, I would doubt that you're converting but you never know.

• 1 month later...

Honestly when I got the fuck flu, I was so "out of it" I don't even remember what happened. I have a vague remembrance of a very close friend coming to see me, pick me up in her car and drive me to the emergency room. I was talking nonsense apparently and remember very little, other than being in her car and then getting an IV to hydrate me. This friend of mine is so busy with work, etc, that the fact that she showed up at my house without an invitation must mean it was really bad.

I didn't even think it was seroconversion until 3 months later while discussing it with my doctor, she asked me, "have you had unprotected sex lately?" And then like a thunderbolt it hit me that that was the fuck flu. I had had sex with 4 guys that December but all of them claimed to be negative. And then at Christmas I went walking around San Fran with a friend so I thought this was something I picked up while outside in large crowds in the cold in SF. Little did I know what was really going on.

I seroconverted almost without symptoms. One day in 1980 a housemate came home from the clinic in a foul mood: he'd tested positive for second stage syphilis by blood test and showed us the rash that he thought went with it. The same rash as I had had at the time. So I went to the clinic expecting a syphilis diagnosis, but there was no trace of syph. Of my rash the doctor said that they didn't know what it was, probably some virus going around, and that they'd seen a lot of it recently. Although I was diagnosed by blood test in 1987, I actually didn't join the dots of the rash till sometime relatively recently when I saw a photo of a typical serconversion rash on (I think) wikipedia: the exact same rash I'd had. I checked with my doctor who said that if I had that rash in 1980, then I was clearly seroconverting. The housemate moved out in the late spring of that year, and we moved the following year, which is how I can narrow it down to the year. The things you learn when you go over old memories...

• Like 1