Too Hot For Facebook

TigerMilner

I'm with PhoenixGeoff. I deleted (deactivated. They won't let you delete) Facebook almost two years ago and I don't miss it. I like my privacy. I quit using google a long time ago for the same reasons. They don't need to know what they claim they have the right to know. I didn't like it when it started sending ads based on content in my private email. I still have an account with gmail, but I don't use it to discuss important issues with anyone. I'm still trying to find a good email system that isn't so intrusive. While your Facebook page sounds hot, I'm not willing to have big brother looking over my shoulder anymore than they already are if I can help it.

I'm finding you have to pay for your privacy, but not too much.  Typical costs for email range from about $35 to $50 a year, which is less than the annual subscription at BBRT.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd add to the FB hating:

I write m/m fiction, but I also teach public school in a conservative state, so obviously the two can't mix.  A year or so ago I created a Facebook page under my pen name, and I used an entirely different email address, birth date, name, etc. than my "real" FB page. I even used a different computer and a different browser, and I never even check that email on the computer I use to visit my regular FB page! Totally separate. However, a week or so after I opened the pen name FB page, I started getting friend suggestions that INCLUDED MY FREAKIN' STUDENTS!! I could not fucking believe it. I have since learned from a friend who's a bookkeeper that a client questioned him about having used the client's computer to access FB after my friend had taken his computer home to do some work on it (the client wasn't on FB but apparently got several emails about joining soon after my friend had the computer). The only explanation we could come up with was that FB had to be aware of our IP addresses and had made the connection that way, then climbed into bed and fucked us, and not in the fun way. He had had the client's computer on his wireless network and had accessed FB from his personal computer that used the same network while he had the client's computer on it, so that makes sense. I had to abandon my FB page completely, which is fine. I hate that fucking site. I also heard recently that FB is now blocking ad blockers, so they can kiss my rosy ass goodbye altogether.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/technology/facebook-ad-blockers.html