NEW FEATURE: Map of logged in members

rawTOP

User Map: Good Idea Or Bad?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. User Map: Good Idea Or Bad?

• I don't like it. It reveals too much about me, etc.
    • I like it the way it is.
    • I want it to show screen names.

Love the idea of a map on this site. It’s a great way to meet guys who are like minded pigs in a local area. Right now it shows me about 40kms away from my actual location. This maybe a drawback, as it shows me in the suburbs, when I live downtown. From past experience not many men message or take an interest if they think you are far away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My profile pin is 450 miles away from my true location. I have both my network and physical GPS sensors turned on. When I view my location in a separate geo-location dependant program (such as latitude or geo-tracking software that I have installed), my location is precise to within a couple of feet. Is there a way to enable hardwired GPS sensors so that if our geo-loc is wrong, we can reset it?

• Administrators
My profile pin is 450 miles away from my true location. I have both my network and physical GPS sensors turned on.

It uses the known lat/long of your IP address, not any location data from your phone, etc. So it can't really be fixed (very easily).

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked it out, and I do like the idea, although my pin is about 40 miles off.

What about locating by postal code? In most cases they're accurate to the street but not the house. By adding a box on profiles for postcodes to fill in (that isn't visible to other users), a user would have the choice whether to include himself in that increased accuracy, otherwise the pin could be placed in the center of the town/city on their profile.

• 2 months later...

I can get to the map and everything but the Pins in my area or any eara when I click it pops a windwo with a "View in Google Earth" There is nothing else listed in the window and I can't tell which one is supposed to be me or were the map has me located.

Am I doing something wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...