Jake Angeli is hot ngl

GeorgeGrove

7 hours ago, holefucker said:

Not at all. But as we've already established the very concept of race is almost nonsensical, then how do you define white? Generally speaking if someone looks white and is mostly white, then they can legitimately call themselves white. Ted Cruz is mostly white. So is Geraldo Rivera. I've never heard anyone say British PM Boris Johnson isn't white just because he's 13% Turkish (and his real surname is Kemal). 

What is it with the American idiocy about race? Is there anything in the world MORE racist than lumping everyone non-white into one category and calling them 'people of color', or insisting that if you have one drop of non-white blood them you're a 'person of color'? 

It may well be idiotic of Americans to, as you say, "lump everyone non-white into one category and call them people of color." I'm not defending that.

But to the extent that we do this idiotic thing: Ted Cruz is not "mostly white" simply because one parent is (50% is not "mostly"). Under our admittedly (for the sake of this discussion) "idiotic" classifications, Cruz's father was absolutely a person of color. Ditto Geraldo Rivera, whose father was Puerto Rican, an ethnicity we "idiotic" Americans absolutely consider a person of color.

And of course, I get the racism inherent in classifying only "pure" (insofar as people can tell) "white" people as authentically white, while recognizing anyone of mixed ancestry as a "person of color". It's unquestionably racist. But no more so than deciding that someone with one white grandparent is "white". Put another way: if it's illegitimate to call someone with one parent who was unquestionably black a "person of color" or "black" because of that ancestry, it's equally illegitimate to call someone with one unquestionably white parent a "white person". If you want to argue we're all, with few exceptions, rather a mixed lot, you won't get much argument here.

3 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

It may well be idiotic of Americans to, as you say, "lump everyone non-white into one category and call them people of color." I'm not defending that.

But to the extent that we do this idiotic thing: Ted Cruz is not "mostly white" simply because one parent is (50% is not "mostly"). Under our admittedly (for the sake of this discussion) "idiotic" classifications, Cruz's father was absolutely a person of color. Ditto Geraldo Rivera, whose father was Puerto Rican, an ethnicity we "idiotic" Americans absolutely consider a person of color.

And of course, I get the racism inherent in classifying only "pure" (insofar as people can tell) "white" people as authentically white, while recognizing anyone of mixed ancestry as a "person of color". It's unquestionably racist. But no more so than deciding that someone with one white grandparent is "white". Put another way: if it's illegitimate to call someone with one parent who was unquestionably black a "person of color" or "black" because of that ancestry, it's equally illegitimate to call someone with one unquestionably white parent a "white person". If you want to argue we're all, with few exceptions, rather a mixed lot, you won't get much argument here.

Let's be specific about Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz's father comes from Cuba, and he has parents from Cuba and the Canary Islands, which is a part of Spain. I'm not saying there aren't minorities in the Canary Islands, but as I've been there many times I can assure you that the vast majority of the population looks white. Now according to this article: [think before following links] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1529-8817.2003.00125.x 62-78% of the Canary Islands gene pool is Iberian - i.e. white. Obviously this will vary between individuals. And according to this: [think before following links] https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004488, 72% of the Cuban genome is European, and again you will have more or less than that in individuals. Suffice it to say that this is higher than the US, and just like the US there will have been social barriers to European Cubans mixing with non-white Cubans, especially prior to 1939 when Rafael Cruz was born. So I grant you that a certain percentage of Rafael Cruz's DNA could be non-white, but let's have a look at him:

rafael_cruz.jpg.ea5915c868de58745cfefab2b4a2732e.jpg

Would you really say that this man could be 50% non-white? Or even 30% non-white? I think most people would not detect any non-white at all, but even if you assume he's 75% white, then that makes Ted Cruz 87.5% white, which is exactly the same as Boris Johnson, the British Prime Minister. So yes, I'd call him mostly, in fact overwhelmingly white. If his name were Ted Cruise you wouldn't even question it.