Gran Canaria cruise bars and darkrooms nowadays?

5 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Thanks for that detail, @rawfuckr- it’s an important one and I didn’t know it.  I’ve always wanted to know the exact legal status of poppers in Spain, but it’s very difficult to find much about it online, and even people who live there don’t seem to be too sure…

Do you know if it varies from province to province, or if the law as you outline it is valid nationwide?  I’m just wondering if that’s why enforcement seems to be a problem in Madrid, but not elsewhere?

The illegality of poppers/pot in spain in public venues and street was established with the "Ley de proteccion de seguridad ciudadana" in 2015 by the conservative party (PP).  It's caused a lot of problems due to pot being so common and many youth being caught with it. Current progressive goverment is trying to change the law to make it more permissive.

It's supposed to be valid nationwide but enforcement was unheard of or very rare. It's definitely province dependent with Madrid taking it more serious than other places. Catalonia/Canary Islands/Andalucia is simply not enforced or selectively enforced. In Madrid, during the pandemic, police had tons of fun raiding normal gay bars and saunas multiple times per week. It's been gross. Sauna Octopus, where older mature can be found, was routinely raided and many older folks got fined just for popper use. The cops rush in the sauna and force everyone to come out and check one by one locker's to see if they got anything. Same process in bars, a bunch of cops rush in screaming "nobody move!" so no one tosses drugs on the floor. then everyone is searched and patted individually. Madrid is tilking heavily conservative lately and really dislike gay stuff. Govmnt entities, including police, feels it's their duty to enforce dumb laws like this one. Also during pandemic, police was just bored and didn't have anything better to do, This was a great way to pass time for them.

Edited by rawfuckr

Shocked and surprised to hear about that heavy-handed policing of bars and saunas in Madrid, @rawfuckr- we always think of modern Spain as so liberal and permissive. That’s similar to the kind of behaviour that set off of the Stonewall riots in New York in 1969!

Thanks for the detailed response, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject. Do you live in Spain?

On 9/15/2022 at 3:12 PM, Spunkinmyarse said:

Shocked and surprised to hear about that heavy-handed policing of bars and saunas in Madrid, @rawfuckr- we always think of modern Spain as so liberal and permissive. That’s similar to the kind of behaviour that set off of the Stonewall riots in New York in 1969!

Thanks for the detailed response, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject. Do you live in Spain?

I spend a lot of time in Spain indeed. I was actually caught in one of the raids in Madrid and it is NOT fun. As professional as the cops were trying to be we all knew we had been profiled.  At some point, The Ring Private was being raided every other week, ( that's why they lost most of their clientele) Ring Private now will check your socks (it's naked venue) before going downstairs to make sure you don't have anything. 

I think they've calmed down a bit now that tourists are back in full swing and cops have better things to do. But just comes to show how vulnerable we are as a community even in a supposedly safe haven as Spain.

• 3 weeks later...

In PdI for fetish week. So far: 

- Construction is the main cruising bar , especially under 50 years old,  

- Factory is a great space but the floor downstairs gets slippery which makes fucking challenging.

- Bunker is tired and too many guys are there to stare and not fuck. 

No problem finding hot holes to fuck. 

• Thanks 1

Useful info, @Aixactif

Strong Construction seems to have been the top spot for quite a while now.

I never liked Bunker- last time I was there, it stank (and not in a good way) and is crying out for a major refurb.

Haven’t been to GC since Factory opened- looking forward to trying it out next time I’m there.

After a week in GC and lots of fucking: 

The Factory & Construction are the two best sex clubs I have visited. Night to night the vibe changes but consistently there are lots of opportunities to fuck. 

Reds is decent. I only went 1 night. It was busy but not that much action. I will visit again. 

Noxon I attended a horse market event. The staff is friendly and the event was hot, if a little small. I would go back depending on the night. 

Bunker is tired and smelly. Don’t waste your time or money. Their no dress code means lots of guys wearing street cloths and just staring. 

I am returning for most of the winter and need to visit some of the other spots (Zoo, Tom’s, Box etc) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:51 PM, Aixactif said:

I am returning for most of the winter and need to visit some of the other spots (Zoo, Tom’s, Box etc) 

I’m hoping to spend a month or so over there in the winter too- perhaps we can review the bars together, one from a top’s perspective and one from a bottom’s- and then write the definitive guide!

id also quite like to explore the gay scene in Tenerife- anyone know anything about it?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve been in Gran Canaria for a couple weeks now, mostly going to Strong Construction a few times a week. It is pretty reliable for finding some ass. I need to branch out and go  to some of the other bars and clubs. Where do you want me to try? I will report back on the current scene. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aixactif said:

I’ve been in Gran Canaria for a couple weeks now, mostly going to Strong Construction a few times a week. It is pretty reliable for finding some ass. I need to branch out and go  to some of the other bars and clubs. Where do you want me to try? I will report back on the current scene. 

Had a very good time at the Box last time I've been there. Crowded, great atmosphere and no condoms anywhere to be seen.

7 hours ago, Aixactif said:

I have never been, probably because of my age, but I have been told and heard that Reds and Zoo are pretty reliable to find ass. Bare too. They are just around the corner on Avenida Tirajana. I believe they do have dress codes for different nights. Check out their websites.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:16 AM, NLbear said:

I have never been, probably because of my age, but I have been told and heard that Reds and Zoo are pretty reliable to find ass. Bare too. They are just around the corner on Avenida Tirajana. I believe they do have dress codes for different nights. Check out their websites.

Last night was a special theme into the darkness at Zoo where the whole place was supposed to be blacked out. The dress code was underwear/naked/fetish. It’s the first time I have been there, so I can’t say how much darker it was but there were places downstairs that you could barely see anything. It was moderately busy but a great crowd. 

I fucked 5 or 6 guys with one in the sling that was a really good fuck. It’s a nice change from String Construction and Bunker where there are too many guys walking around with clothes on. 

The staff is friendly and I will definitely be back. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aixactif said:

Last night was a special theme into the darkness at Zoo where the whole place was supposed to be blacked out. The dress code was underwear/naked/fetish. It’s the first time I have been there, so I can’t say how much darker it was but there were places downstairs that you could barely see anything. It was moderately busy but a great crowd. 

I fucked 5 or 6 guys with one in the sling that was a really good fuck. It’s a nice change from String Construction and Bunker where there are too many guys walking around with clothes on. 

The staff is friendly and I will definitely be back. 

I should add the crowd was mixed age, guessing 25-65. 

• Like 3