Moderna will test HIV vaccine

35 minutes ago, SmoothATLBttm said:

Second that. An HIV vacc would totally change the availability of M2M sex for the better....unless you're a bug chaser. That fantasy would go poof!!!

Not really. Look at Covid: There are tens of millions of people who are happy to risk getting Covid (and thus risk dying MUCH, MUCH faster than you will from HIV) rather than get a vaccine. HIV chasers will simply avoid taking the vaccine.

• Like 1

Guest takingdeepanal
2 hours ago, SmoothATLBttm said:

Second that. An HIV vacc would totally change the availability of M2M sex for the better....unless you're a bug chaser. That fantasy would go poof!!!

2 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Not really. Look at Covid: There are tens of millions of people who are happy to risk getting Covid (and thus risk dying MUCH, MUCH faster than you will from HIV) rather than get a vaccine. HIV chasers will simply avoid taking the vaccine.

It HAS to be better than having to remember to take PrEP when you need it. Only problem would be if you change your mind and want to chase.

18 hours ago, takingdeepanal said:

It HAS to be better than having to remember to take PrEP when you need it. Only problem would be if you change your mind and want to chase.

Oh I agree it'll be a wonderful thing to have available. I was just commenting on SmoothATLBttm's suggestion that chasing would go away. Anyone determined to chase (when there are people on PrEP) is going to continue to chase even if some of the PrEP folks switch to a vaccine. The chasers won't take the vaccine (why would they?) and I don't see it getting that much harder for them to get pozzed than it is already.

• Like 1

I'm not a medical trained but I doubt it would be one shot of vaccine for life. Most vaccines require boosters.

Tetanus is recommended every 8 to 10 years here in the UK.

Hep B vaccine eventually reduces in effectiveness and requires boosters is another example.

Covid they are talking about a 3rd jab before winter here in the UK for the over 50's

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, chargedodger said:

I would volunteer because I want young people to have the choice to vaccinate.I am a bugchaser and fully understand my habits may be of great value to the effort to develop a vaccine.

Great spirit, wanting to help others!

As a chaser you could make a very important contribution.

Clinical trials at different stages will include (and exclude) participants at certain risk levels. Typically, early-stage trials that establish that a product is safe, measure immune response, determine the appropriate dose, etc. enroll low-risk participants, because there is not much evidence that the product works.

Depending on ethics, study design, prevalence of a disease in the study population, and transmissibility of the disease, later-stage trials that measure efficacy — how well a product works, in a study — might enroll either low- or high-risk participants.

The less common a disease is and the harder it is to transmit, the more likely that it will be necessary to enroll high-risk participants. Otherwise, getting enough positive cases in the control group would take too long or require too many people. On the other hand, ethics discourages reliance on high-risk participants in a blind trial, because they won't know whether they're receiving the real product (which might, optimistically, be found to provide some protection) or placebo (which certainly won't provide any protection).

Because establishing the efficacy of Truvada for PrEP depended in part on knowing how much sexual risk the study participants had, some later-stage Truvada for PrEP studies required participants to log their sexual activity. Higher-risk participants who received Truvada in essence challenged the product more than low-risk participants.

To use another PrEP-related example, in countries where Truvada for PrEP is now the standard of care, other HIV prevention studies (of: antibodies, as in the AMP trial; PrEP products other than Truvada; HIV vaccines; and behavioral interventions) have to be larger, run longer, or be designed differently because it is not ethical to deprive participants of routine care. We know that Truvada for PrEP is very effective in preventing HIV, and we can't withhold it from study participants if it's generally available.

All of this is to say that study volunteers who are at high risk of getting HIV can be very important to HIV prevention research.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RawUK said:

I'm not a medical trained but I doubt it would be one shot of vaccine for life. Most vaccines require boosters.

Tetanus is recommended every 8 to 10 years here in the UK.

Hep B vaccine eventually reduces in effectiveness and requires boosters is another example.

Covid they are talking about a 3rd jab before winter here in the UK for the over 50's

Just my thoughts.

Not any more for tetanus jabs in the  UK. Providing the childhood vaccination schedule is followed that's considered sufficient with a booster  only given following a dirty wound that could lead to a tetanus infection, foreign travel to high risk countries or high risk jobs.

I would totally be down to get it. While Prep works for most people it can cause liver and other problems and people can’t tolerate it. There’s the cost as well (although there’s some programs for some people). But for younger kids who aren’t out you can’t really go on Prep if you’re on your parents insurance as they’ll find out. This would be an alternative. I’m all for having another tool in the arsenal against HIV/AIDS. It would be great for folks in the medical field and first responders who are at risk for exposure as well. I get the disappointment from the bug chasing crowd, but hey…just look at Covid…there’s a lot of people who just refuse the concept of vaccines, Medicine, and science. There will always be some people around carrying the disease.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PigBoyDallas said:

I would totally be down to get it. While Prep works for most people it can cause liver and other problems and people can’t tolerate it. There’s the cost as well (although there’s some programs for some people). But for younger kids who aren’t out you can’t really go on Prep if you’re on your parents insurance as they’ll find out. This would be an alternative. I’m all for having another tool in the arsenal against HIV/AIDS. It would be great for folks in the medical field and first responders who are at risk for exposure as well. I get the disappointment from the bug chasing crowd, but hey…just look at Covid…there’s a lot of people who just refuse the concept of vaccines, Medicine, and science. There will always be some people around carrying the disease.

With Prep the biggest problem is kidney disease that sneaks up on you. I had that happen about year five on prep when my kidney function suddenly started a rapid decline. Was sent to a nephrologist who took me off all of the medication I was on for a month and then tested me again, and my kidney function started to make a rebound. Went back every two weeks for more bloodwork and kidney function continued to improve. We determined it was the Prep. I was put on a regiment that was more kidney friendly (and more costly) and although I did suffer some kidney damage, I recovered most of the loss. The doctor told me it wasn't uncommon for this to happen years later and it wasn't uncommon for it to happen quickly, especially on Truvada, so keep an eye on your  numbers.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1