I'm planning to stay to the US for about 6 months

Sharp-edge

I'm currently a dentist and I work  also in the research field. There is a program that I have quite good chances of being accepted that I will be in the US for 6 months (more or less). I will receive 2000$ monthly. Practically, I can chose everywhere inside the US (as long as the corresponding institution accepts me). I've never travelled to the states so on the one hand I'm excited on the other I'm very stressed. Could anyone advise me on anything? 😄

You may need to share more information. $2,000/month isn't a lot of money if you have to pay for your food and housing from that amount. That could make living in a larger metropolitan area difficult or impossible if you don't have access to other funds to support yourself. Also, what are some other things that are important to you? Sex, nightlife, weather, cultural and other social opportunities, and travel opportunities are some things that you may want to share.

30 minutes ago, Bareswapper said:

You may need to share more information. $2,000/month isn't a lot of money if you have to pay for your food and housing from that amount. That could make living in a larger metropolitan area difficult or impossible if you don't have access to other funds to support yourself. Also, what are some other things that are important to you? Sex, nightlife, weather, cultural and other social opportunities, and travel opportunities are some things that you may want to share.

Ι had in mind that I would add +1000$ so it would be 3000/month. I wouldn't like a freezing cold weather, I'm not much of a party animal, but I would like to meet people who wouldn't hate me bcz I'm Greek. I also have a Greek friend in California that he could help me with the place etc but I wouldn't stay at his place. I'm quite ignorant about life in the US.

Life in the US can vary from place to place.  Beaches, mountains, deserts...all offer different activities.  Despite our reputation for bring a nation of rude people, we are actually quite friendly and as far as I know, only jerks would hate you for being Greek.  Should you decide in favor of a visit, I hope you have a pleasant stay.

• Like 1

So you say you'd have a total of $3,000 per month for living expenses. If you were able to line up a shared-living situation (ie someone looking to share an apartment, or rent you a room and bathroom), you might be able to make it in most, but not all, areas of the country.

You say you don't like freezing cold weather - which could eliminate much of the northern half of the country.

You mention that a "corresponding institution" must accept you here - does that mean a dental school? If so, that alone will limit your choices, as there are only 62 (I think) accredited dental schools in a country that is more than 3000 miles across. And if only certain schools participate in this program, that would limit your options even further. 

• Upvote 1

First, congratulations on receiving (what sounds like) a fellowship in your field of study.  

I can't imagine anyone resenting the fact that you're Greek, but I suppose some folks are capable of resenting anything these days.  Both replies above (BootmanLA & Treehugger) are excellent, and I may have one other:  stay away from what are called "red" states here in the US, since there is a higher likelihood that you'd encounter negative behavior merely because of your ethnicity. Southern California would be a great choice for you, since you already know someone there, but more importantly, SoCA has been the recipient of population influx for many decades, and you'd probably have the least chance of running into pinheads there.  In the US, thousands and thousands of people over the years have relocated to CA to "get a fresh start", as the saying goes, and there's a more liberal, accepting-of-others attitude prevalent among more of the population.  Northern CA, not quite so much.  

Places to avoid would be so-called "red" states, mostly those of the former Confederacy, which have a 400 year old history of discrimination against non-Caucasians, and which continues to this day. In the South, racism, hatred of "the other" runs deep - it's in the very dirt beneath our feet.  That is not to say that everyone in these states are hatemongers or racists of course.  That said, when I relocated from the North to the South, I was stunned to see people with Confederate flags on their houses, trucks, caps, other clothing, running around with no apparent sense of shame.  I'm still surprised how blunt and overt the racism is around here, and this burg (Ft. Lauderdale) is considered a large city.  But, it never freezes or snows either, and for me, that counts for a lot.

There are "red" states in the North-West as well, but mostly in rural areas, which dilutes the effect of racism somewhat.  Your school would most likely not be located in areas like that, but the winters can be long and cold there.  If you have a chance at a school in Hawaii, that would be paradise !!

Good luck !!

Thank you all for your replies. About the places, it doesn't have to be a dental school, it could be any laboratory that runs dental research from a basic biology lab that studies dental pulp cell to a pharmaceutical lab that tries a flashy dental floss with a watermelon scent or something. So I have plenty of choices about that. Regarding the discrimination party, I am a typical Mediterranean. Quite hairy, dark brown hair (and green eyes) so maybe my ethnicity and accent and not my colour could be the problem for someone. The philosophy of the program is also to know the US culture so they will boost certain actions (although not specified). What could it be I don't know, maybe museums orsomething? And after the 6 months I have to go. Talking englsh with native speakers was also a big desire, I love english and foreign languages. I hope this will help me have a better accent.

There is also the choice of Texas with a good institution but everyone tells me "Forget it".

Texas isn't that bad, especially in the larger cities of Houston or Austin. Houston has the largest medical center in the world, and Fort Bend County (Sugar Land) is the most ethnicly diverse county in the United States. The major cities are Democratic (liberal leaning as opposed to conservative Republicans) and both Harris County where Houston is located and Fort Bend County are run by Democratic governments. Houston institutions sometimes have a lead on housing opportunities for fellows and other practitioners. 

Whatever you decide, congratulations! 

• Upvote 2

Not that I disagree completely with @hntnhole but a blanket suggestion to "avoid red states" isn't necessarily called for. I'm not sure why he cuts slack for western red states by suggesting you just avoid rural areas, when the same advice would apply in the south.

For instance, Atlanta, Georgia, is in the heart of a mostly red state, but the Atlanta metro area is exceptionally progressive and has enormous health care resources (so likely a good spot for dental research). The same is true to a lesser extent in New Orleans, Louisiana; and the same is true in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Fort Worth in Texas. (Houston has an enormous medical research community as well.) All of these places have lively gay scenes in addition to lots of other fun and cultural activities.

It's true that California has a lot to offer. But it's expensive. Average cost of a studio apartment (that is, essentially one combo living room/bedroom with a kitchen area and a bathroom) in Los Angeles will run you about $2,000/month. A one-bedroom apartment (that is, the bedroom is separate from the rest of the living space) averages about $2,200. There are areas that are more expensive and less expensive, but any way you look at it, rent alone in Los Angeles will consume much of your budget - before you add in the cost of utilities, which are typically extra. Then you have food and transportation costs as well. 

It's about the same cost in San Diego (the southernmost large city in CA) and it's considerably more in San Francisco (where you'll be hard pressed to find any rental for less than $2,500 and that's a tiny studio).

And lastly - remember that you'll need some sort of health care. In some states, you might (or might not) be able to get onto some sort of publicly assisted plan, but there's nothing even vaguely resembling ESY here. Granted, I'm an older guy (58), but I have an individual health care plan and it costs over $1,200 per month. Yours may be much lower cost, as a young man, but even so, it's likely to be a few hundred dollars at least, if not more.

So be sure to factor in costs. It can be frightfully expensive to live in the U.S. 

• Upvote 2

I stand corrected in the "blanket avoidance" of red states.  There are, of course, exceptions to be found in large metropolitan areas in the South.  Given the state of political affairs in TX however, I'd urge our new arrival to be very careful about exactly where in TX I'd want to stay.  I do know that tons of guys have located in Harris County, and the medical institutions are something I wouldn't know anything about.  NoLa is absolutely wonderful, for instance.  

I have some family that live in rural areas of the West; thus I hear maybe more about the negative aspects - plus the long, cold winters out there are discouraging.  On the other hand, lots of folks like it.  

Thanks, laguyinhou and BootmanLA for your comments.  I'm sure our new friend appreciates as many viewpoints as he can get - I know I would in his circumstance.  

I've been wrestling with including this aspect of where to locate temporarily while in the US, mostly because it's politically-based, and I don't want to stir that pot. 

That said, there is one more consideration our Greek friend may want to consider:  I am not completely aware of how the covid situation has impacted his homeland, but here in the US, the issue of getting vaccine shots has been thoroughly politicized.  The very last thing I want to do is offend others, but any visitor to the US should at least be aware of the situation, which is most regrettable. 

The so-called "red" areas of the US are markedly unvaccinated, for purely political reasons.  This makes no sense to most people, but it simply does exist, and far more extensively in the "red" areas of the US.  This is commonly distributed, qualified, proven information that any visitor to the US should take into consideration.  While major urban centers in "red" areas are populated with mostly-vaccinated folks, the fact is that new infections, illness and deaths are occurring in politically "red" states (to a lesser extent however, in large metropolitan areas) in far greater numbers than in "blue" areas. 

My apologies if this offends anyone - that is not my intention, which is only to offer information to a visitor who may be interested in health-related potential concerns.  

Take a look at “Greek Americans” in Wikipedia for an indication of Greek centers in the US that you m any want to consider.  

“Greek Americans have the highest concentrations in the New York City, Boston, and Chicago regions, but have settled in major metropolitan areas across the United States. In 2000, Tarpon Springs, Florida, was home to the highest per capita representation of Greek Americans in the country (25%).”

Tapon Springs, Fla is in a red state but clearly welcoming to foreigners.  Don’t worry about red or blue states, find a place with cultural interest, affordability and where you can increase your education.  Don’t let politics blind you to a particular area.  

On vaccinations, I live in Los Angeles, a “deep” blue city and State.  Since 3/2020, there have been 1.45 MILLION infections in the County with 27k deaths.  I was fully vaxxed in April this year and got Covid in August (Delta variant) and ironically had to cancel my all gay Greek cruise.  So one needs to be cautious in any place.  Good luck and I hope you have a great time while in the US.

3 hours ago, Sharp-edge said:

No offence meant for the Greek Americans but usually, they are the worst kind of Greeks.

I mailed a lab in Oakland California and another one in Boston. I hope one of them will accept me, otherwise I will keep looking.

Dude, if cold bothers you, Boston is not the place to be. Did you even look to see what winters there are like?