Cruises, Oinks, woofs, taps, etc

AirmaxUK

Out of the blue, you get an Oink (or whatever) from a stranger on a hook up site or app. How do you react? 

Some guys block oinks altogether- does that work? Do you get more real messages? 

Do you deal with oinks differently if the person is 100s of miles away? Or if you like /don’t like them? 

I found that replying to an oink with a real message saying thanks for the oink works better than just oinking back. 

how about you?

• Upvote 1

I’ve had varying degrees of success in response to starting with oinks or messages.  However I usually find that the ‘chat’ goes cold and nothing comes of it. So much so that I’ve just removed myself from bbrts. I’ll stick to real life cruising/saunas etc. 

• Upvote 2

I despise them. When possible I disable them; when not, I try to add a note in the profile that I won’t respond, but that usually proves useless - the kind of guy that taps you isn’t usually a profile-reader.

It drives me mad that if I get tapped and I do respond, the guy on the other end invariably has nothing to say, apparently expecting me to initiate and carry all the weight of the encounter. Therefore I now look upon all such signals as telling me that the person on the other end is lazy, unimaginative, and undeserving of my time and attention.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say it varies depending on who they are and what they say in their profile. I'll try to reply to most, but if there's no message with it it would be a low priority. 

What I normally don't respond to is guys unlocking their private pics. It's all well and good, but no message with it? As much as i love seeing cock and arses, etc., it's almost like someone jabbing you in the ribs as they walk past you.  

1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

if I get tapped

Is being "tapped" some kind of electronic communication on one of the apps?  In my (admittedly) outdated lexicon of the apps, I remember "oinks", but "tapped" always meant you got fucked - as in "so and so tapped my ass really well".  

If getting "tapped" is similar to the old "oinks", then it surprises me not one bit that you get those messages.  You're one of the very special ones, and have my complete admiration for answering your calling.  Precious few have that same courage. Thanks for all the important and interesting discourse too; I know all of us appreciate your excellent contributions, even if some neglect to mention it.

Since I log into the apps so infrequently these days, they are usually a week or 2 old by the time I notice them, as well as usually being from a guy whose profile reads like we have nothing in common, so I usually just don't respond. If it is a long distance one that includes information that they are traveling to my area and his profile looks somewhat compatible, I may respond but haven't hooked up that way in several years. 

I did have good luck at the begining of the month replying to and hooking up with one guy each in LA and Palm Springs, that started with BBRT links, but both of their profiles indicated very compatible interests. So it may be somewhat location specific, and whether you are a good fit for what guys are looking for.

54 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Is being "tapped" some kind of electronic communication on one of the apps? 

‘Taps’ are Grindr’s version of these odious pokes-in-the-eye, and if they consistently mean anything, it’s that you’re not going to get fucked.

I understand what you’re saying - there was a time when to ‘tap’ an ass meant to use it, but in this case, no. I’m not even sure the overall concept of tapping someone physically is surviving. When I go to the bathhouse I always mention in my profiles that I’m there any anyone who wants my ass can just tap my shoulder and get it, no questions asked. I’ve never felt a tap.

I don't have any luck with these functions at all.  I never send them, but I receive and respond to them.  I always say something like "Thanks for the oink/woof/whatever.  Great profile and hot pics.  You looking to meet up today?"  And then...NOTHING.  No further responses or replies.  Maybe they're treating the woof/oink/whatever function the same as they do a "like" on social media and a reply isn't necessary?  Regardless I find it frustrating.

I always check to see who.  If they are within 20 miles, I'll respond.  Yeah, nothing ever comes from 90% of them.  But I'm a horny bastard and they get me worked up so I can shoot.  On rare occasions something more gets put into the works.  That's when finagling schedules and seeing if we can meet happens.  And about 5% of the time I end up with their load in my ass.

Since I'm becoming poz-friendly/not-quite-chaser-yet, I figure it's only a matter of time until some Indiana gifter sets his sights on me, wears down my defenses, uses me as his proper cumdump at least until the deed is done.  So I don't complain about winks, oinks, or whatever.  I just consider them part of the chase and building up a list of "passbys" and "near hits" until a load lands and I become an active chaser and hunting the right ones to bury deep.  Assuming one didn't find me first.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

Out of the blue, you get an Oink (or whatever) from a stranger on a hook up site or app. How do you react? 

Some guys block oinks altogether- does that work? Do you get more real messages? 

Do you deal with oinks differently if the person is 100s of miles away? Or if you like /don’t like them? 

I found that replying to an oink with a real message saying thanks for the oink works better than just oinking back. 

how about you?

Much the same. I usually reply with “Thanks for your tap/oink/whatever. Much appreciated.” If they have a picture and look fit it will be “much appreciated and reciprocated.”

To be honest, I never have understood why guys clutch their pearls and reach for the smelling salts about them. It’s only the online equivalent of an unsolicited wink across a bar. And some of us are grateful for the attention. Obviously, if one specifies that winks etc will be ignored and someone goes ahead anyway, that’s a different matter. But I can’t ever imagine making such a stipulation myself. I’ve always lived by the motto “never say no to new adventures, otherwise you’ll lead a very dull life.” 

• Upvote 3

Some men may be shy to initiate conversation, not everyone is confident just to say hi or state there intentions straight of the bat. Personally I don’t mind them and think they are a decent tool to have as a ice breaker. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ErosWired said:

‘Taps’ are Grindr’s version of these odious pokes-in-the-eye

Ahhhh .... Grindr, then.  That app is also one of the reasons why crossing several streets in the area are almost begging to be run down.  Guys actually drive around, staring at their phones in the wee hours.  There are relatively minor crashes all the time.  One day, someone is going to invent some doo-dad that pedestrians can push a button on, and fry the Grindr guy's phone. 

Thanks for the info.  

I look at these things - growls, woofs, grrs, oinks, taps, whatever the site has - as the old-school bar equivalent of catching someone's eye across the room and nodding, or otherwise acknowledging that something about him caught your eye.

I suppose one problem of "the apps" is that some people INSIST that the only reason to use them is to get laid and how DARE anyone reach out on them for ANY other purpose because you're WASTING my precious time so fuck you. Well, most such apps have an option where you can (a) post what you're looking for - and surprise! many of them offer choices other than "come fuck me right this minute" - and (b) describe what you're looking for and what terms you're looking under.

Someone else's failure to utilize those means to convey a clear message about what they want does not constitute a requirement on my part to refrain from contacting them, even with the dreaded "oink" or whatever. If someone puts in his profile "I don't respond to oinks (growls, woofs, whatever)" then I abide by that. If someone puts in his profile "Only contact me if you want to come fuck me within 10 minutes of your first hello message", then I abide by that too.

But if someone wants to get his panties all wadded up because he failed to do either of those things and then - OH MY FUCKING GOD - someone has the temerity to attempt to break the ice with the digital equivalent of that across-the-bar nod, I'm grateful, because that's someone I can immediately block with a clear conscience because he's a fuckhead.

As for receiving them: I almost always reply. If I have no interest in the person after looking over his profile, but it's otherwise innocuous, I simply say "Thank you, that's kind of you." Most people can interpret that correctly. If I do have an interest, I thank the person AND either growl/oink/woof/whatever back, or just give the written equivalent.

If the person's profile indicates he hasn't read mine (for instance, his clearly says he's only looking for single people and his only "Looking for" is "Partner/husband"), I point out that they really, really should learn to read a profile before expressing interest in someone that clearly isn't what they're looking for.

• Upvote 5