Suggestion on site restrictions

BootmanLA

Going against the general wave of "I should be able to do more sooner!" posts here, I'd like to suggest one more way of tightening down, at least for RawTop to think about.

I'd suggest that new members not be allowed to create entirely new topics/threads in any forum until they've posted at least X number of replies to existing topics/threads (assuming that's possible with the forum software). What number "X" should be, I can't say, but not excessive - something like 5 or 10.

This should force anyone who's new to at least look for an existing topic that might cover their question/point/whatever, and hopefully keep discussions together rather than separated.

As a side benefit, I think some familiarity with the system organization, and reading more posts and how this community operates, would help them when they do gain the ability to create a topic. I've noticed a spate lately of topics that are almost incoherent (possibly due to language issues, possibly not) and all seem to be from people who have posting histories in the single digits.

I recognize this means one more thing people can't do "from the start" but I also think this has more upside than downside. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I recognise the low quality posts you probably mean. 
Some tolerance for language-issues may be asked for, but to understand one-another and for the mod's to moderate - as moderators do - we do need a basic level of writing comprehensible English. (Or American... Oscar Wilde once had something to say about the distinction).

I'm not against some more restraints for our new fellow members in principle, but there's always a time when the training wheels come off.
The principle BZ uses already by earning points by participating, has the benefit of combining something that's almost like an initiation, but without the mumbo-jumbo or having to pass some (arbitrary) test or evaluation; but I think it really has an educating effect on us as members.

I would like to add that although I'm not a new member at times there are still incidents I find it hard to navigate the website.
- Partly that's because of our websites (no infringement on your ownership rights intended @rawTOP 😉) has a very broad scope of subjects and we have members from all walks of life.
- Some things also have to do with the system / programme used to build and maintain the website. Not meant as a complaint, I'm happy with BZ. If and when there are possibilities for improvement I'm confident rawTOP and his team of Mods will act; I've read  posts where they share the troubles with it themselves at well so they'll probably jump at the first opportunity.
New members with their fresh perspective, can offer valuable insights when input is handy at some time in the future, if the lay-out of the website might be changed.

We as members have the opportunity to report threads, or talk to our fellow members by DM or in response to a new thread too and active members like yourself do this. Perhaps more of us should.

Bottom line is that I'm not certain and leaning towards a 'no' but it will also depend on the work-load the moderating-team experiences with the activities of our new felllow-members.

Yes its so frustrating as a member for a while and ranked kind of high and still at most I can only leave at most 10 reactions. There are so many great post that i like to react too.

Again very frustrating 🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, polyglutton said:

I would like to be able to "like" more than 3 posts/responses per 24 hours. 

I don't post much myself, mostly just enjoy reading what others write as inspiration for my nightly wanks. 

33 minutes ago, Njn0mc said:

Yes its so frustrating as a member for a while and ranked kind of high and still at most I can only leave at most 10 reactions. There are so many great post that i like to react too.

Wasn't too long ago that I regularly ran out of 'likes' to hand out. Just keep at it, and it'll get better.
Although frustrating - which I understand and have felt myself on numerous occasions - the system does work, preventing 'lurkers', trolls and others here for the wrong reasons from messing up the website of our community. 

To get back on Topic (!):
Did you two start new topics/threads here or would you miss it if you had to wait for that to do?

On 8/20/2022 at 7:15 AM, polyglutton said:

I would like to be able to "like" more than 3 posts/responses per 24 hours. 

I don't post much myself, mostly just enjoy reading what others write as inspiration for my nightly wanks. 

and

On 8/20/2022 at 8:13 AM, Njn0mc said:

There is an extensive thread on the ability to react to posts elsewhere here in this very forum. Perhaps these comments would be better addressed there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any good ideas about people like the one behind this very anonymous profile, trying to use the loophole in the website restrictions?

1 hour ago, hotpussyboy said:

I like how you think, Rodney. I'm not able to send you messages, so if you confidentially send me your your email address, I'll contact you - okay??

Regards,

Jamie

My thoughts: On the one hand, it is getting around the restrictions. But on the other hand, unless someone does it repeatedly, all he's likely to get is the one address, maybe one or two others, and that shouldn't cut into the discussion aspects of the site very much.

For that matter, if a new user posts his BBRT, A4A, Telegram, or other site handle in his profile, people will already be able to contact him off-site. So I don't think there's a whole lot that can be done about those off-site exchanges. And if the new user doesn't post publicly, he's unlikely to ever advance to the point where he can do much interacting on here at all. 

Well, there are all these medals, and I can't say I know what they're used for. At first, I spent so much time in the "responses" clink I moved a small table w/reading lamp in there too, along with some books .... but BZ is still well worth the wait.  I very much enjoy (most of) the subject matter and the discourse.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.