Issues with Taking PrEP

Hello 

Before Covid took over the world I had started PrEP since I am forever on my knees. I was prescribed with Tenofovir. The issue though is, I have never been able to swallow tablets. No matter how hard I try and i probably sound like such a baby. My doctor said i can cut it in ahlf but it made it ten x worse cos of the taste. 

I stopped taking PrEP when covid happened because I wasn't having sex 

does anyone have any advice as I am considering PrEP again

On 9/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, Sharmercharmer said:

You know what my advise would be Twised! stay off PreP lol x

You're not helping and it's not funny.

On 9/5/2022 at 2:38 PM, TwistedPrince94 said:

Hello 

Before Covid took over the world I had started PrEP since I am forever on my knees. I was prescribed with Tenofovir. The issue though is, I have never been able to swallow tablets. No matter how hard I try and i probably sound like such a baby. My doctor said i can cut it in ahlf but it made it ten x worse cos of the taste. 

I stopped taking PrEP when covid happened because I wasn't having sex 

does anyone have any advice as I am considering PrEP again

How about crushing it up and putting it into a VERY sweet drink to mask the taste?

I think you're first-class for getting back on PReP.  Getting the stuff down your throat shouldn't be all that tough.  Maybe in a spoonful of your favorite ice cream?  Or, have a spoonful ready and waiting, just after you take the pill?  A swig of chocolate syrup (or any other), maybe some jam or jelly?  Or a shot of whiskey, if that's your preference.  

In any case, kudos for getting back to protecting yourself and enjoying your sex-life again.  A moment's worth of bad taste (either literally or eyejunk from some jerk) is a small price to pay for taking all the precautions to protect your health.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you want to try getting the tablets down you, I'd suggest coating them with a lubricant (ordinary sex lube would work, or vegetable or mineral oil) and taking them with a lot of water (perhaps even a mouthful of water, and then tilt your head back and drop them into it - I've done this with larger pills or many pills at a time).

Another option that I'm not sure is open to you is to try the newly available injectable cabotegravir which can be used as PrEP - it's one injection every month or two. See this topic:

• Upvote 1

First of all it's great that you are protecting yourself with PReP. After COVID-19 I started my course of PReP again, too. Have tons of fun on PReP.

Unfortunately injectable PReP (cabotegravir) isn't available in the UK and Northern Ireland AFAIK. It's a bitter pill to swallow that you won't be able to get out of swallowing your bitter pill.

If you want to mask the taste of the tablets, try taking them with applesauce or pudding. Any sweet and flavourful (soft) food will do.

Or you might use a straw sucking up liquid instead of washing your pill down. The reflex movement of sucking up might distract you.

Two further methods ('Pop Bottle' and 'Lean forward') to ease swallowing pills that seem to help a lot of guys are described here:

[think before following links] https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/11/11/363024822/trouble-swallowing-pills-try-the-pop-bottle-or-the-lean-forward

I used to have the same issue, then I tried to take it with something else. For me,I take it at night time and I usually take PrEP with fruits, or sometimes I drink it down with fiber supplements. It works well myself and my doctor told me as long as you keep the habit (take PrEP with a little bit other food), PrEP will work just as protective. 
And I agree, PrEP has an unbearable bitter taste, but it makes me sucking and taking dicks without concerning getting bugged up. 

On 9/5/2022 at 6:51 AM, TwistedPrince94 said:

gott protect myself from HIV, dont want bugged yet

Yeah, my hiv pill is twice the size of my husband’s prep pill.  If you’re struggling with the former, you don’t want to need to take the latter.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NEDenver said:

Yeah, my hiv pill is twice the size of my husband’s prep pill.  If you’re struggling with the former, you don’t want to need to take the latter.

I do know in america there is a PrEP vaccine you take 4 times a year id rather have it but don't think it is in the UK yet 

I have had problems with swallowing pills all my life. I've found the easiest way for me to take meds is to swallow it in a bite of food.  Take a bite of something you like, chew it up and just before you swallow, slip the pill in your mouth and swallow it all together.  You might have to try a couple different foods to figure out what texture works best for you.  For example, pills might slide right down with something like pudding or applesauce. Or, you might be able to disguise it better if you eat something crunchy. 

I will say that over time, sucking cock and trying to take cock deeper into my throat had the added benefit of helping me relax and open my throat when it comes to taking pills.  I can swallow pills now, but I still prefer to take them with food as described above.

There is research on extended release medications -- primarily with the injectable meds.  Currently, dosing is every other month but I think 6 month dosing is in trials, Hopefully soon all of us people who have problems with pills will have more options.

2 minutes ago, funpozbottom said:

I have had problems with swallowing pills all my life. I've found the easiest way for me to take meds is to swallow it in a bite of food.  Take a bite of something you like, chew it up and just before you swallow, slip the pill in your mouth and swallow it all together.  You might have to try a couple different foods to figure out what texture works best for you.  For example, pills might slide right down with something like pudding or applesauce. Or, you might be able to disguise it better if you eat something crunchy. 

I will say that over time, sucking cock and trying to take cock deeper into my throat had the added benefit of helping me relax and open my throat when it comes to taking pills.  I can swallow pills now, but I still prefer to take them with food as described above.

There is research on extended release medications -- primarily with the injectable meds.  Currently, dosing is every other month but I think 6 month dosing is in trials, Hopefully soon all of us people who have problems with pills will have more options.

thats great advice,I will try that thank you x 

One more thing to try (this may have been referenced in one of the links people posted, but if not...): take a big swallow of some drink - water, soda, whatever - and keep it in your mouth without swallowing. Slip the pill in, then start drinking more and swallowing the flow of both what's in your mouth AND what's joining it. The pill may well slide down in the liquid.