Another One Gone - Horse Cave, KY ABS Closed

ErosWired

15 hours ago, pervinmt said:

You all should live where I do, then complain, lol.  City county health forced our sad, pathetic abs to cover the glory holes. And they raised the rates to $15 for three hours. Of course there's no guarantee you'll even encounter another person there during that three hours.

At this place, the entry fee was $20. There wasn’t a time limit I was aware of, but you could easily spend three hours there and get nothing out of it - very hit-and-miss, as others have said, and this was right off Interstate 65. Traffic flow is no guarantee.

3 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

That is a side effect primarily due NOT to repressive health officials, but to the fact that Montana has the third-lowest population density in the nation, only behind Alaska and Wyoming.

And yes, it's true that we don't have control over where we're born, and to some extent, that can dramatically influence where we live as adults. If you inherit a spread of land in a state like Montana or Wyoming, it can be daunting to sell that asset and move to a more densely populated area (which presumably has a higher percentage of gay people as well). But that's still something largely within the control of the individual.

In many respects I loathe the state where I was born and live to this day. Looking back from the perspective of being out of high school over 40 years now, my first mistake was not working harder to go to an out of state college or university; and the second mistake was not leaving once I finished school and made a go of it elsewhere. And I could blame it on any number of external factors - all of which impacted things - but the bottom line is, I was too insecure to trust that I could do well elsewhere without the safety net of multiple generations of a large extended family right here. And I could blame my parents for instilling in me a sense that I wasn't good enough - because nothing I ever did was good enough for them - but ultimately, I made choices and my life, as lived, is the consequential result. So be it.

First of all, don't presume things you know nothing about. It was 100% the result of repressive health officials that caused the glory holes to be covered as they were getting cases of STD's that were being specifically transmitted there, and threatened to close it down entirely if the business did not comply.

Second of all, your assuming the low population of Montana has something to do with the lack of business is also incorrect. It's location being in a primarily residential/light business area that offers no real anonymity is the main reason for it's lack of patrons. Prior to 2012 we had a different, much larger ABS located directly behind two very popular bars that had a connecting strip club between them. But it burned down. There was always tons of action going on there. And I mean TONS. It was easy for guys to park in the huge parking lot without anyone knowing which venue they were in exactly. In the current place, if your vehicle is parked close, people know what you're doing. And its on a busy one way, so there's always lots of traffic going by. Not exactly secret for entering or exiting the building. Also, the prior place used quarters, not a flat fee, which was way more enticing for frustrated horny guys who just wanted to get their rocks off. I know cause I've talked to countless guys over the years who refuse to pay that much money to go to the current dump.

Third, don't make assumptions of why people live where they do. You know nothing about it. Keep your judgments and opinions to yourself.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, pervinmt said:

First of all, don't presume things you know nothing about. It was 100% the result of repressive health officials that caused the glory holes to be covered as they were getting cases of STD's that were being specifically transmitted there, and threatened to close it down entirely if the business did not comply.

My point about population wasn't regarding the covering of the glory holes. It was about the lack of sufficient people to make availing oneself of the facilities there worthwhile.

Second of all, your assuming the low population of Montana has something to do with the lack of business is also incorrect. It's location being in a primarily residential/light business area that offers no real anonymity is the main reason for it's lack of patrons.

If there were a lot more people in Montana, you can bet there would be more alternatives, some perhaps more discreetly located. If you think the fact that Montana's sparse population density (it's not just that it's got very few people, it's that it's very few people in a HUGE fucking expanse of state) has zero to do with the number and quality of ABS's and such, I don't know how to explain the law of supply and demand to you.

Prior to 2012 we had a different, much larger ABS located directly behind two very popular bars that had a connecting strip club between them. But it burned down. There was always tons of action going on there. And I mean TONS. It was easy for guys to park in the huge parking lot without anyone knowing which venue they were in exactly. In the current place, if your vehicle is parked close, people know what you're doing. And its on a busy one way, so there's always lots of traffic going by. Not exactly secret for entering or exiting the building.

Reasonable point. Nonetheless, I'd point out that if the demand were so high, it's surprising the owners couldn't rebuild in the more discreet location. I suspect, rather, that the low usage (even the "tons of action" that used to be there) meant the money wasn't there to rebuild and they had to take what pre-built space they could get.

Also, the prior place used quarters, not a flat fee, which was way more enticing for frustrated horny guys who just wanted to get their rocks off. I know cause I've talked to countless guys over the years who refuse to pay that much money to go to the current dump.

Also a reasonable point. But my somewhat educated guess would be that guys plopping down 50 cents into a video machine, getting blown, and leaving (making no other purchases, because the wife/girlfriend might find out) is not the model for a thriving business. Especially if there's the one guy who comes in, doesn't even pony up the quarters because he's just there to blow other guys who are happy to spend 50 cents to get sucked off, spending hours generating zero revenue himself and only pittances from the horny truckers/cowboys/whatever.

Third, don't make assumptions of why people live where they do. You know nothing about it. 

I don't know why any particular individual makes a decision to live somewhere unless he tells me, that much is true. I do know the macro view of it - too many people who have emotional investments in family or property there, who like living in that kind of landscape, but who hate the lack of ability to enjoy same-sex relations. There's the married men who want to get sucked and can't get the wife to do it, there's the closeted men who don't want to risk getting beaten to a pulp, and so forth. Those are (broadly speaking) the kind of men who patronize ABSs in rural areas, along with the gay man everyone knows and tolerates because he keeps his head down and doesn't acknowledge knowing that 9 out of 10 of the guys he blows at the ABS are "straight" and/or "married" and/or "Christian" so they don't want to hurt the only sexual relief they get.

Now - as to why people don't leave - sure, I'm open to reasons other than "I own land here and this is my livelihood" or "My family has been here for X generations and it's home." I'm sure there are a not insignificant number of men who've moved there to work in natural resources extraction (mining, forestry, etc.) but I'd be shocked to find that there are migration waves because Montana schools are world-class or because the cultural scene is so lively.

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

My point about population wasn't regarding the covering of the glory holes. It was about the lack of sufficient people to make availing oneself of the facilities there worthwhile.

If there were a lot more people in Montana, you can bet there would be more alternatives, some perhaps more discreetly located. If you think the fact that Montana's sparse population density (it's not just that it's got very few people, it's that it's very few people in a HUGE fucking expanse of state) has zero to do with the number and quality of ABS's and such, I don't know how to explain the law of supply and demand to you.

Reasonable point. Nonetheless, I'd point out that if the demand were so high, it's surprising the owners couldn't rebuild in the more discreet location. I suspect, rather, that the low usage (even the "tons of action" that used to be there) meant the money wasn't there to rebuild and they had to take what pre-built space they could get.

Also a reasonable point. But my somewhat educated guess would be that guys plopping down 50 cents into a video machine, getting blown, and leaving (making no other purchases, because the wife/girlfriend might find out) is not the model for a thriving business. Especially if there's the one guy who comes in, doesn't even pony up the quarters because he's just there to blow other guys who are happy to spend 50 cents to get sucked off, spending hours generating zero revenue himself and only pittances from the horny truckers/cowboys/whatever.

I don't know why any particular individual makes a decision to live somewhere unless he tells me, that much is true. I do know the macro view of it - too many people who have emotional investments in family or property there, who like living in that kind of landscape, but who hate the lack of ability to enjoy same-sex relations. There's the married men who want to get sucked and can't get the wife to do it, there's the closeted men who don't want to risk getting beaten to a pulp, and so forth. Those are (broadly speaking) the kind of men who patronize ABSs in rural areas, along with the gay man everyone knows and tolerates because he keeps his head down and doesn't acknowledge knowing that 9 out of 10 of the guys he blows at the ABS are "straight" and/or "married" and/or "Christian" so they don't want to hurt the only sexual relief they get.

Now - as to why people don't leave - sure, I'm open to reasons other than "I own land here and this is my livelihood" or "My family has been here for X generations and it's home." I'm sure there are a not insignificant number of men who've moved there to work in natural resources extraction (mining, forestry, etc.) but I'd be shocked to find that there are migration waves because Montana schools are world-class or because the cultural scene is so lively.

Your condescension is really annoying. I hope it makes you feel better about yourself. All I will say is in regards to your assertion of it not being a viable business to rebuild, it actually was. The owner was going to rebuild, but was denied by the city because of ordinances requiring the lead architect to be licensed in the state of Montana, which he was not. You can read it for yourself online. The place was called Pretty Girls.

But you already know everything.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, ErosWired said:

Absolutely right. I could expound on the decrepit state of “justice” as practiced in this one-goat county, but I won’t.

Another example of justice in Kentucky.... [think before following links] https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/any-luck-finding-that-video-kentucky-prosecutor-suspended-for-spending-years-demanding-nude-images-of-defendant/

Louisville seemed a liberal Mecca to me when i lived there, in an otherwise very conservative state.  Most of my sex was anonymous walk in at my house in the Highlands off Bardstown Road. CL was still active in 2010 and i used it to hook up most of the time.  

The times when i wanted more instant sex i'd go to Theatair X in Clarksville, just across the river from Louisville. When i look them up in Squirt, that location is on again off again,  Battling the sex police who seem controlled by local religious zealots, sometimes the GH are open, sometimes they're closed. i had some great sex there, for the most part. i'd also drive out to Radcliff and go to Dixie Video. i also lived within walking distance of Cherokee park. There's a cruise area in part of the park where i've had open air sex. 

i moved to Oregon in 2014 and found out having sex in ABS type venues is legal in Oregon. The local ABS shares a parking lot with the Oregon State Police and has "buddy booths" as well as glory holes between booths. The laws protect minors and forbid prosititution, but otherwise are liberal and allow sex. i went to a theater in Portland that had a bed on a sort of stage, obviously made for exhibition, and a man and woman were openly having sex when i was there. 

4 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

The local ABS shares a parking lot with the Oregon State Police

!!

4 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

i also lived within walking distance of Cherokee park. There's a cruise area in part of the park where i've had open air sex. 

What part of the park is it in? I’ve visited Cherokee Park a couple of times, but I didn’t see anywhere that screamed “cruisy”. But then, I’m oblivious enough that a guy would pretty much have to come up and stick his hand down my pants before I would be aware anybody was cruising, so it could have been obvious.

1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

!!

What part of the park is it in? I’ve visited Cherokee Park a couple of times, but I didn’t see anywhere that screamed “cruisy”. But then, I’m oblivious enough that a guy would pretty much have to come up and stick his hand down my pants before I would be aware anybody was cruising, so it could have been obvious.

There's a parking lot just off of Lexington Road. i haven't been there since 2013, but the parking lot then was one where guys would pull up to an opened window to cruise. The lot butts up against a inclined, wooded area of the park with a well worn path. Get out and walk on that path and it'll scream cruisy pretty quickly if it's still the same. 🙂 i've bent over several conveniently downed trees and received loads there. Watch out for cops, they go there too.