UT,LA,VA,MS,MT,AR,TX,NC are now ALL blocked! (IN & ID 7/1)

For those of you who use Apple products, I purchased my VPN through Malwarebytes and my location was set by default to NYC.  This has been an advantage to me on other sites as well, so if you are looking for a VPN you might want to check with them.  It's reasonably priced and worth the cost.

• Administrators

TX is now unblocked. You can read more about the judge’s ruling here: https://www.freespeechcoalition.com/blog/fsc-secures-preliminary-injunction-against-unconstitutional-texas-law

Based on the ruling it may be possible to lift the blocks for other states as well.  When I find out for sure I’ll unblock them if possible.

I strongly suggest you join and/or donate to Free Speech Coalition (the URL above). They are the primary organization fighting these laws and they’re doing an incredible job considering their budget is 1/10th the budget of some of the adversaries. 

UPDATE: The other blocks will remain. The ruling only covers Texas and while I would be likely to win if anyone sued me, I have no interest in the expense, distraction and publicity of a lawsuit.

Indeed - the ruling on Texas's patently unconstitutional law pretty much eviscerates the justifications for such bans. While it's true that this decision only invalidates and blocks the Texas law, IF the state appeals the ruling, it will have to be heard at the US Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (which covers TX, LA, and MS federal cases).

You never know what an appeals court might do, of course, and the 5th Circuit is notoriously conservative, but this ruling is so solidly grounded in existing Supreme Court jurisprudence that the 5th Circuit will be hard pressed to find a way to uphold this law and stay within prior SCOTUS rulings. (That doesn't always stop them, but SCOTUS, conservative as it is, tends to slap down those kind of things.)

And if the 5th Circuit affirms the judgment on appeal - as they should - that would likely spell doom for Louisiana's similar law, as well as Mississippi's (which, full disclosure, I have not read, but is unlikely to be able to avoid the same problems as Texas).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rawTOP said:

And Texas is blocked again… The 5th Circuit (the worst in the nation) just lifted the preliminary injunction.

That explains my experience just now. Had been using a Texas site with my VPN provider because the speed penalty was negligible, but shifting to a blue state fixed the problem. The speed penalty isn't that bad.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

That explains my experience just now. Had been using a Texas site with my VPN provider because the speed penalty was negligible, but shifting to a blue state fixed the problem. The speed penalty isn't that bad.

The BZ server is now outside of Detroit - so Detroit / Chicago / Toronto VPN location should be best.

Tonight the we hate government oversight state of Texas blocked me from accessing this site. I’d to vpn via EU to get logged on! I guess we only have freedoms if we are on the same page as bible hugging politicians that claim to be family and church but fuck around, take brides and screw over the citizens of their state! Can’t wait for the day the republicans get a kick in the balls and lose their grip on Texas!

On 8/9/2023 at 7:41 AM, ytowndaddybear said:

Ohio Republicans saw Issue 1 as a stepping stone to enacting God's Law in Ohio.    I have heard this from multiple sources including elected Ohio Republicans as well as the pastor that lives next door to me. He also a pollworker, the one I had to walk up to and get my ballot from yesterday, he was all smiles and neighborly but just his presence there might intimidate or remind some what his opinion on the issue is since he preaches it in his church regularly.    Since Issue 1 would only impact the power of a people's initiative and not the state legislature's ability to propose constitutional amendments, it was obviously a power grab with the immediate impact affecting the chance of the outcome of Novembers election which includes two people's initiatives protecting the right to choice and legalizing recreational use and home grow of marijuana.

NOW we have to Vote Yes on 1 for the Nov 8th Election!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bumchum said:

Tonight the we hate government oversight state of Texas blocked me from accessing this site. I’d to vpn via EU to get logged on! I guess we only have freedoms if we are on the same page as bible hugging politicians that claim to be family and church but fuck around, take brides and screw over the citizens of their state! Can’t wait for the day the republicans get a kick in the balls and lose their grip on Texas!

It's not the state of Texas blocking you. It's this site, because the state of Texas is demanding (unconstitutionally, in my view, and they're likely to lose a challenge, but...) that all sites with sexual content over some ill-defined percentage must age-validate users. BZ, like many other sites, is instead simply blocking users who appear to be from Texas (and, for similar reasons, from a lot of other states).

Texas was un-blocked for a while because there was a temporary restraining order on the law, but that has been lifted, so it's back to blocked.

See this thread:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.