Got HEP C from barebacking and I'm devastated

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully you can get some assistance in covering the cost of modern medical treatment. I knew someone who contracted Hep C many years ago, before there was any cure; about 40 years ago. She told me she went to see a very old doctor at the time and he had her consume a large amount of sugar for a few weeks. She said that stoped the Hep C. She still trigger Hep C in a basic screening, but her blood work showed the virus is inactive or undetectable; not sure of the correct terminology. Unfortunately I don’t have any good information other than what she had told me. I believe her to be a reliable source, so I don’t doubt what she told me to be untrue. It might be worth doing some research. She still has liver issues as a result, so she has to be careful not to do things that negatively affect the liver, like drinking alcohol. She also takes a good quality supplement, Milk Thistle, to help her liver when it flares up. At the time, she had no other health problems that I am aware of, so not sure if that was a factor in stopping the virus or not. I am not a medical professional and this is what she has told me.

I hope you get the help you need. Good luck and try to keep a positive mindset as best you can. 

My partner tested positive for Hepatitis C in late 2013 while we were in Albany NY.  He was part of a phase 3 trial for Harvoni (ledipasvir/sofosbuvir).  At that time the cost was $100,000 per tablet according to the pharmacy. The pharmacy delivered one tablet per week to him and waited and watched him take it due to the cost. He was on a 12-week regime and it completely cleared the Hep C from his body. It is now 12 years since he had  the Harvoni, and he still tests 100% negative for Hep C.  I do not know what the current cost of Harvoni is but from firsthand knowledge of its working for my partner it may well be worth checking into.  Admittingly, he was very lucky to participate in the phase 3 trial and not have to pay anything for the treatment.

On 2/4/2024 at 3:38 AM, rawfuckr said:

I'm scared and now I may  have to  live with hep c  due to my stupidity ....

It's not really "stupidity" because then being "wise" would be to never have uninhibited anonymous sex in saunas, darkrooms, gloryholes, and parks.

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:31 AM, biobare said:

Do you know in which situation you caught it? Was it 1 to 1 sex or in a group? I caught it once at my first Berlin visit in 2012, I guess after letting a few random guys fuck me in Laboratory or at a Coffee&Cream Party. Today I'm quite sure that the main way of transmitting Hep C is when Tops run from bottom to bottom without cleaning their cocks or even when "Safer" Tops use the same condom for a number of bottoms. ...

Did your Doc tell you something about the strain / subtype of HCV you have? ...

I'm now 100% certain I got Hep C at the lab in Berlin in my trip mid december. I can pinpoint the infection all the way down to my 2 visits to the lab on thursday and friday.  Been tracking my ALT levels weekly and they've already peaked. From the literature ALT peaks around 8 weeks, and timeline exactly matches my days in Berlin where I only bottomed at the lab. I also had brutal flu like symtomps 2 weeks after this, with stubborn fever it would not go down even with ibuprofen/paracetamol.  I never get the flu or colds. I also didn't have much going on before this Berlin trip and even had a neg AB Hep C test beginning of November. So it's clear I got it there at the lab.

Reading your comments here has been revealing and everyone seems to agree, with multiple accounts saying the same @Leather69 @biobare. You get hep C through group sex, specifically with something being inserted in your hole that has been in other holes before. That can be a cock, a condom wrapped cock, a fist, a toy.. with the key being, not being washed or clean before going in you. Ironically condom wrapped cock does nothing unless it's a fresh condom, and it could even be worse as it could cause even more irritation and tearing on other bottoms drawing more infected material to transport into others. And indeed, this is exactly what I was doing while at the lab: me on my 4s with all the busy crowd of the lab plowing holes left and right mine included. I can't remember how many loads I got, I think I counted 7 on friday, so multiply that by the load-to-fuck ratio and it could be a significant number.   

There's another striking connection from the comments, and it's 3 people got Hep C in Berlin including me, but that may be completely accidental... Also, the case where you get HepC from a load can't be completely ruled out but must be at the level of geting HIV from oral sex: Hep C viral load is only present in semen during acute phase (~3 months) then goes UD. So you need a Vers top, that's on Hep C acute phase breeding you with a torn hole... 

Things are moving along with me to start treatment and insurance should cover Epclusa. I got HCV genotype 1a and Epclusa seems to be very effective for type 1, so I'm hopeful. I'll update when I've got more news.

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Checking in with some positive news.

I started epclusa (sofosbuvir/velpatasvir) treatment a month ago and at my first viral load test at the month mark and I'm already undetectable. My liver enzymes are also down to normal. This is all very impressive because my VL was in the high millions/ml and the liver enzymes (AST and ALT) on the 1000s, (now <40). This stuff works and even didn't get side effects from it.

Need to keep taking pills for 2 months and then 3 months later the official viral load test to confirm the cure. 

As far as pricing goes even when my specialty pharmacy was quoting me 7k a month, it was $0 at checkout so I will not complain about that! (I think they autoapplied the gilead coupon). 

Will update later on..

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3