The relationship between barebacking and casual sex.

Is barebacking the same as casual sex.   

65 members have voted

1. 1. How connected is barebacking to casual sex?

• Barebacking is the same as casual sex. If you have casual sex, you are going to be barebacking soon; can't really separate the two.
    • You can choose to indulge in one without the other. I choose to bareback only with my partner.
    • I like casual sex but use condoms and don't bareback as I am scared of the possible consequences. I am not sure I have adequate health insurance protection, and don't want to take chances.
    • I get tested every time I have a barebacking encounter while having casual sex. I do not consider myself a barebacker and do not think the same are necessarily together.

Is barebacking inseparable from casual sex, or can a Man indulge in one without the other?

The decision to bareback i.e. have sex without condoms is often seen as synonymous with casual sex. However, a recent musing by one barebacker on the merits of barebacking, after a visit to his oh so freúndlich doctor is making me wonder what these terms mean to people.  

Can one bareback without having casual sex or does barebacking always include casual sex?

Can a gay man realistically expect to have casual sex without barebacking? Are there guys who have casual sex and yet not bareback but use condoms?

• Downvote 1

I chose the 2nd option as the best fit. I believe you can choose to bareback only with those you know well, even if they aren't a LTR partner, and use condoms for random casual sex. I haven't used condoms in years personally, but know a few who still do.

7 hours ago, brnbk said:

Is barebacking inseparable from casual sex, or can a Man indulge in one without the other?

I don't think so; there are (presumably) plenty of guys that have 'casual sex' - perhaps often - with a barrier on the Cock.  I realize that where I live, there are far more rawmen than condomed men, but most areas of the country aren't known as a "sexual destination" either.  I've never even seen a condom in the fuckjoints I go to. 

7 hours ago, brnbk said:

making me wonder what these terms mean to people.  

"barebacking" means fucking/getting fucked naturally, i.e. with no barrier between the men.  But, it's possible that guys can have huge amounts of sex with a barrier between him and the other guy(s), i.e. a condom.  The wanton behavior can be practiced either with or without barriers, but one is fantastic, the other, not so much.  

7 hours ago, brnbk said:

Can one bareback without having casual sex

Of course.  There are tons of raw men that are perfectly happy within a monogamous relationship with their partner.  Including the term "casual" only implies increasing the number of sex partners.  I'm guessing that most monogamous men in relationships always fuck raw (unless perhaps one or both contracted hiv prior to the beginning of their relationship), and they don't want to pass it to one's partner.

7 hours ago, brnbk said:

Can a gay man realistically expect to have casual sex without barebacking?

To the last question, sure he can.  "Casual" only implies plenty of action with plenty of guys.  The issue of barriers is a separate issue, at least as I see it.  Around here though, "casual" sex implies raw sex.  

• Upvote 2

• Moderators

They are not necessarily connected. You can have casual sex with or without barebacking, and you can have bareback sex whether you engage in casual sex or are monogamous. To my recollection, I've done all of the combinations (i.e. had casual sex when I exclusively used condoms for it, had casual sex when I exclusively barebacked, had a monogamous relationship where I barebacked).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, brnbk said:

Can one bareback without having casual sex or does barebacking always include casual sex?

They are not "inseparable". Plenty of men have casual sex without barebacking, and plenty of men have bareback sex but not casual sex.

8 hours ago, brnbk said:

Can a gay man realistically expect to have casual sex without barebacking? Are there guys who have casual sex and yet not bareback but use condoms?

Yes. A quick perusal of profiles on any dating/hookup site that includes an option for safer sex options will show that plenty of guys still say "condoms only" and even more show that condoms are sometimes used. 

It seems to me these are two unrelated things that sometimes go together, and sometimes don't - like "Does eating fast food always mean using your hands?" Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can't eat the fast food without a fork or spoon or something. And sometimes even "nicer" food requires using the hands without utensils.

I think the most you could say is that in recent years (thanks to advances in PrEP and HIV treatment both), bareback sex as a component of casual sex has increased. But they're by no means the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, cumslutfuckpig said:

I don’t think I understand the question. There were a lot of options not included in that poll. 

the question basically tries to understand what barebacking- gay sex without condoms,  and casual sex -sex without commitment and usually someone u might not necessarily know before hand, for eg a guy u run into in a book store, a sauna, a park, or an empty office, a male toilet etc.        – mean to you. 

In hindsight, I should have added the option of "Undecided" as it allows people to express themselves, if the have some other option in mind - but often feel that doing so would make more likely to choose it, rather than the options presented.  Which option you would have preferred to be added to the poll?

The only thing you don't have a choice with when it comes to sex is who you WANT to have sex with. We can't control who we find attractive and have no control at all over who reciprocates. Everything else is choice. That can be influenced or, in the worst cases, forced. So rubbering up, asking guys to cover up, or not is just that. Whether its with someone you know or someone you just met there's always options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

As others have suggested, one key option that is missing is that you can have casual sex without barebacking. 

Options 2 and 4 would  be the closest options for the situation you propose as both are scenarios that call for casual sex without barebacking. Option 2 would be if you choose to bareback only with your partner, but have condom sex with others; and Option 4 would be if you choose to bareback- rarely when having casual sex, and almost always use a condom. 

For some of us, sex isn’t sex if it’s wrapped in latex - casual, marital, or otherwise.  Some guys are in relationships. The choice where they’re not related has a totally unnecessary second clause about barebacking only with a partner. The third option again creates a specific mindset that makes it untenable for those with the same practice, but different motivation.   The fourth option links testing after every potential exposure as a pre-req for considering casual sex and barebacking separate.  

to refine your poll, try separating choices into more discrete statements with a single concept.  If you want to get at motivations, consider a second question.  

• 1 month later...

i think you are missing the ven dia where bb overlaps w casual and is labeled "risky"

one can bb safely

one can do nsa hookups safely

however, if you're addicted to risky sex as so many of us gays are, then you're a raw is law no refusal slut