Any LGBT+ Republican individual out here?

tonio

I'm a registered Republican for the sole purpose that I can vote in the primaries.  It's also a good way to find out about who is a MAGA or Mom's for Liberty idiott. In the general election I usually vote straight ticket Democrat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

That jogged my memory:  I can't remember exactly what grade I was in - probably Junior High - when my Dad took me downtown to the YMCA one night to hear an "expert" clinically describe what the heteronormative event we call fucking consisted of.  It was an "X happens to the woman, Y happens to the man, Z happens when they fuck" kind of thing, quite "clinical".  While I recognized a number of schoolmates (with their dads), I don't think any one of us ever talked about it at school.  

That was it, as far as my cultural sexual education went.  Thank Whatever it was only a one-night thing.

They were at least trying, I get the distinct feeling parents that even try are a minority.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:33 PM, BootmanLA said:

My parents were both conservatives, and neither of them spoke one word to me - ever - about sex. Nothing about how babies are conceived, nothing about STI's, nothing about nothing. I know that my mom must have told my sisters at least some basics about how to handle menstruation, but I don't think that she or my dad went beyond that.

The worst part, in my view, is how abuse of kids with no sex education is cyclical and repeats, especially in poorer families and even more so in single-family ones. 

I once had a nocturnal emission in my teens. The only thing my Mum had to say about it was 'stop leaving your disgusting pajamas in the wash'...and I looked at her quizzically because it was weeks after the fact. 'If you have to pollute yourself at least use a tissue'...what it did was then to make me trust my parents less as a source of knowledge. And, was this 1880, instead of the 1980s? I replied, 'I had an accident, these things do happen, you know, Mum'  Thank goodness Gran was there to say something like 'yeah, it happens. Next time, wipe it up so your Mum doesn't get upset. Your Mum is going through menopause, so try and not argue with her.' But yeah, welcome to '60s parenting, where sex was a shameful thing to discuss, instead of a teachable moment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, NWUSHorny said:

They were at least trying

I agree.  They were both victims of O.R., which only taught repressive notions, and the advent of "free thinking" had barely just begun.  Frankly, I think they were both too embarrassed to ever allude to sex in general, let alone anything useful to a kid.  

Once, my mother actually made a date for me, after receiving a call from one of her friends.  The friend's oldest daughter (a real mousey wallflower) didn't have a date for the Prom, and asked my mom if I'd take her.  My dad was home, sitting in a wing chair with this Cheshire Cat look on his face, glancing at me sideways.  He knew what was coming, and I didn't.

So, mom explained the situation, and asked if I'd ask what's-er-name to the Prom.  I was stunned, and my dad was trying not to smile.  I told my mom that she could never ever try to make a date for me again.  Dad began to lose the battle not to smile.  At which point, mom said "alright, you call (her friend, the mom of the girl) and tell her "your daughter isn't good enough for you".  I'll never forget that exchange - my mom was furious.  I simply replied "No, YOU call her, and tell her not to make the same mistake with her son (3rd or 4th oldest, I think). 

Now.  I would have gladly taken the second-oldest daughter - she was a firecracker if ever there were one - she was a lot of fun.  Loved getting into mischief, laughing, just a lot of fun.  Not for anything sexual at all, just for the fun that surely would have taken place.  I don't know how my mother dealt with the issue: she never mentioned it again, thank Whatever.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/26/2024 at 3:48 PM, bradhall said:

I'm a registered Republican for the sole purpose that I can vote in the primaries.  It's also a good way to find out about who is a MAGA or Mom's for Liberty idiott. In the general election I usually vote straight ticket Democrat.

If my state had had party primaries (ours are open, "jungle" primaries where all the candidates run together, and the top 2, regardless of party, go to the general election), I might have considered doing the same thing.

We're *supposed* to go to party primaries for Congress and a few other state offices (but NOT our statewide officials or our legislators, or any local officials). Starting in 2026, that is. Our law will allow unaffiliated (that is, "independent", not "Independent Party") voters to vote in either primary, but only one of the two, so I may "unaffiliate" from the Democratic party just to be able to crossover vote in the Republican primary against whoever is the worst option with a chance of winning the nomination.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

so I may "unaffiliate" from the Democratic party just to be able to crossover vote in the Republican primary against whoever is the worst option with a chance of winning the nomination.

Whatever works, right?  As long as we can vote (and, fingers crossed, have it counted properly), we'll have to accept any contrivance to get the job done. 

As long as we're all sharing...this is more a statement than an invitation for debate, so I'll just put this out there.

I was a registered Democrat when I lived in NY, but more for the reasons that @BootmanLA cited since I lived upstate. If I lived in NYC or close, voting wouldn't even matter since a rat on a treadmill in a cage registered as a Democrat would automatically be elected. Sad. When I moved to Florida, I went with my true party affiliation since my positions are more focused on fiscal conservatism and social libertarianism. So I'm more conservative but have a conscience about whom I'd vote. I'm also Pro 2A and a firearm owner, support border enforcement...basically, I'm not voting a liberal agenda.

That said, we have awful choices again in '24 like we did in '20, but I cannot bring myself to vote for Biden. So my vote will be more a reaction to this administration and its ineffectiveness than a vote for the presumptive Republican nominee. But our real problem is the divide we have as a country when in reality most politicians are bedfellows with their counterparts across the aisle. Well, them and Pharma.

• Confused 1

On 2/28/2024 at 9:50 PM, SomewhereonNeptune said:

As long as we're all sharing...this is more a statement than an invitation for debate, so I'll just put this out there.

I was a registered Democrat when I lived in NY, but more for the reasons that @BootmanLA cited since I lived upstate. If I lived in NYC or close, voting wouldn't even matter since a rat on a treadmill in a cage registered as a Democrat would automatically be elected. Sad. When I moved to Florida, I went with my true party affiliation since my positions are more focused on fiscal conservatism and social libertarianism. So I'm more conservative but have a conscience about whom I'd vote. I'm also Pro 2A and a firearm owner, support border enforcement...basically, I'm not voting a liberal agenda.

That said, we have awful choices again in '24 like we did in '20, but I cannot bring myself to vote for Biden. So my vote will be more a reaction to this administration and its ineffectiveness than a vote for the presumptive Republican nominee. But our real problem is the divide we have as a country when in reality most politicians are bedfellows with their counterparts across the aisle. Well, them and Pharma.

I'm not sure how anyone who claims to have a conscience could cast a vote for Mango Mussolini and sleep at night, but then I guess "conscience" is relative.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/1/2024 at 4:51 PM, BootmanLA said:

I'm not sure how anyone who claims to have a conscience could cast a vote for Mango Mussolini and sleep at night, but then I guess "conscience" is relative.

Some like mustard, others like ketchup. We all have differing perspectives. The question originally was whether there were LGBTQIA++ folks who were Republican. I think I answered. Just as you cannot understand voting for Trump (whom I really don't care for either), I'd conversely struggle to understand why people will vote for Biden. Again, we all have different perspectives. 

I'm also a Gen X'er. A mean tweet doesn't trigger me as it seems to others.

1 hour ago, SomewhereonNeptune said:

Some like mustard, others like ketchup. We all have differing perspectives. The question originally was whether there were LGBTQIA++ folks who were Republican. I think I answered. Just as you cannot understand voting for Trump (whom I really don't care for either), I'd conversely struggle to understand why people will vote for Biden. Again, we all have different perspectives. 

By Mango Mussolini, I guess you mean Biden

12 hours ago, SomewhereonNeptune said:

I'd conversely struggle to understand why people will vote for Biden

This may help with that struggle:  Since the US has a "two party" political system (liberal & conservative), there can only be two candidates with a serious chance at being elected President.  Yes, there are other political "parties", but none of them possess even a fraction of the political power of the Republicans or Democrats. 

Thus, unfortunately, occasionally the voters are presented with a 'which is the least-bad' situation in any given election (local, statewide, national), and make their decision based upon that regrettable choice.  None are ever "perfect", very seldom are ever "totally incompetent" (either Liberal or Conservative) candidates for the Presidency, so voters must weigh the pros and cons of each candidate against what they personally believe most important for the country.  

It's hardly an ideal system of electing a President, but - it's what we've got - so we weigh the pros and cons, and go vote on election day.  Sometimes people only cast votes for local or State positions, and leave the top of the ticket empty.  It can be a tough situation, but the crucial thing is to actually go vote. 

We can't complain about the results if we didn't bother to go exercise our right to have our voices heard.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, SomewhereonNeptune said:

Perhaps you can understand why someone might vote for Biden if you consider the following:

1. At the end of the day, either the Republican candidate or the Democratic candidate will take the oath of office for the presidency January 20, 2025.

2. If that candidate is Biden, regardless of whether you think his policies are disastrous or wonderful, you don't have to worry that he's going to take steps to ensure he can evade the two-term limit, or that he's going to try to cancel the 2028 elections, or that he's going to try to overturn the results of the 2028 elections if they go for the other party.

No one who saw what happened on January 6, or who's listened to the (admittedly deranged and rambling) promises Trump has made to install an authoritarian administration can legitimately NOT worry that those things may well happen under Trump. Especially if the Senate flips to Republican control, since all the leading candidates for Republican leader in that chamber are hard-core MAGA types.

It's not the mean tweets; those just show what a complete asshole Trump is. It's the deranged tweets that reveal a mind beset by paranoia and dwindling daily in capacity; the brain that can't produce a coherent stump speech, that can't remember that Biden, not Obama, is the current president, that Nikki Haley was never Speaker of the House.

It's the utter disregard for anyone other than himself, including this nation and our allies. Early in his term he blabbed Israeli intelligence to Russian officials right in the Oval Office, including giving enough detail to out intelligence sources. He's essentially promised not to come to the aid of any NATO country Russia decides to attack. The only current leaders he seems to admire are the autocratic thugs - Xi, Putin, Orban, Erdogan - even when he can't keep straight who leads which country. That's why he's expressed frustration that police can't just beat people when arresting them, regardless of the alleged crime of which they're accused - he wants a country ruled by fear of the government.

And if he wins, you can bet - as I've said elsewhere - that his people will bring enormous pressure on Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito (who are 75 and 73, respectively) to retire, so that he can appoint another pair of early 40's right wing justices who'll control the Supreme Court until I'm almost 100. There are already likely four votes on the Court to overturn Obergefell. There are at least three, possibly four, to overturn Lawrence. 

And on and on. Not mean tweets. Deranged promises to turn this country into an authoritarian nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

13 hours ago, barefucker44 said:

By Mango Mussolini, I guess you mean Biden

I've never seen Biden wearing orange makeup, the way Trump does. Nor does he have any authoritarian impulses that I can tell. If he did, he'd just lock Trump up without a trial, the way Trump wants to do to his political enemies. But then only one of them claims that presidents are "absolutely immune" from prosecution for anything they do as president. Hint: It ain't Biden.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

For some perspective, I have always considered myself a small government, fiscal prudence, civil/social/cultural libertarian, who believes a politician must have decent enough character to set a good leadership example both domestically and on the international stage, who believes the robust level of immigration and infusion of new ideas has been one of the unique economic advantages the United States has enjoyed over its entire existence, I usually voted Republican prior to 2016. I made exceptions if the candidate was what we now call a cultural warrior, was overtly racist or anti-immigration, or was lacking in the character required to set a leadership example. I voted for Garry Johnson in 2016, think it would limit Hillary's mandate, Biden in 2020 because Trump's term was even worse than anything I could have even imagined from both a policy and leadership perspective.

I'm at the elder end of Gen-X, and have voted in every election since 1987. I can't even comprehend how anyone who claims to be a fiscal conservative, civil libertarian, cares about national security, or believes that the character of our politicians matters, can vote for Trump or any craven MAGA candidate who's only campaign promise is to do whatever Trump and/or the loudest craziest faction of MAGA (there are a lot of policy areas where Trump himself doesn't have a strong position so he defers to the loudest craziest conspiracy driven group of his coalition to keep their votes) personally demands. His entire political career and the MAGA political movement (and the Tea Party before it) has been a race to the absolute lowest common denominator.

This political transformation, at least in terms of party leaning is not because I'm bi, my entire family and many of my straight friends that previously learned Republican have arrived at the exact same place. We have a lot of policy differences with Biden, but even on policy Biden is very clearly the least of the 2 evils.

Edited by NWUSHorny
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

Perhaps you can understand why someone might vote for Biden if you consider the following:

1. At the end of the day, either the Republican candidate or the Democratic candidate will take the oath of office for the presidency January 20, 2025.

2. If that candidate is Biden, regardless of whether you think his policies are disastrous or wonderful, you don't have to worry that he's going to take steps to ensure he can evade the two-term limit, or that he's going to try to cancel the 2028 elections, or that he's going to try to overturn the results of the 2028 elections if they go for the other party.

No one who saw what happened on January 6, or who's listened to the (admittedly deranged and rambling) promises Trump has made to install an authoritarian administration can legitimately NOT worry that those things may well happen under Trump. Especially if the Senate flips to Republican control, since all the leading candidates for Republican leader in that chamber are hard-core MAGA types.

It's not the mean tweets; those just show what a complete asshole Trump is. It's the deranged tweets that reveal a mind beset by paranoia and dwindling daily in capacity; the brain that can't produce a coherent stump speech, that can't remember that Biden, not Obama, is the current president, that Nikki Haley was never Speaker of the House.

It's the utter disregard for anyone other than himself, including this nation and our allies. Early in his term he blabbed Israeli intelligence to Russian officials right in the Oval Office, including giving enough detail to out intelligence sources. He's essentially promised not to come to the aid of any NATO country Russia decides to attack. The only current leaders he seems to admire are the autocratic thugs - Xi, Putin, Orban, Erdogan - even when he can't keep straight who leads which country. That's why he's expressed frustration that police can't just beat people when arresting them, regardless of the alleged crime of which they're accused - he wants a country ruled by fear of the government.

And if he wins, you can bet - as I've said elsewhere - that his people will bring enormous pressure on Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito (who are 75 and 73, respectively) to retire, so that he can appoint another pair of early 40's right wing justices who'll control the Supreme Court until I'm almost 100. There are already likely four votes on the Court to overturn Obergefell. There are at least three, possibly four, to overturn Lawrence. 

And on and on. Not mean tweets. Deranged promises to turn this country into an authoritarian nightmare.

I read, (skimmed through) all five paragraphs and nowhere did I see why someone might vote for Biden.

Edited by topblkmale
  • Like 2