Absolutely the WORST IML EVER

I’ll keep this short because I’m pissed that I wasted the time and money. 2024 shall mark IML as the worst ever. From the opening to tonight’s closing it was pathetic.

And absolutely my last.  Sad but true. 

IML IS DEAD.

• Thanks 2

@Samak76- can you tell us why you were disappointed?  Lack of turn out, quality of the guys, not organized well?  I used to do alot of the former "circuit events" and even though they were nothing advertised like IML is, you could always count on a good turn out in certain cities with plenty of guys to go around.  Those events stopped when organizers, at the events I went to, were accused of stealing money from what was supposed to be a charity event.  

Sorry you had a bad time, that is disappointing.

• Like 1

I've been hearing from several buddies about IML ... from what I've gathered, there's a bit of tendency to hit the other N side fuckjoints this time around, rather than just spending the entire time at the hotel - but I'll be hearing more now that it's wrapping up.  I haven't been to IML since I moved to Ft. L. though. 

Everything changes as the years roll by.  

18 hours ago, Samak76 said:

I’ll keep this short because I’m pissed that I wasted the time and money. 2024 shall mark IML as the worst ever. From the opening to tonight’s closing it was pathetic.

And absolutely my last.  Sad but true. 

IML IS DEAD.

i gave up on IML years ago as it seemed to be over the top cost wise.  also, it pissed me off when they started charging to get into the sales section.  btw, you are hot as fuk

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 9:40 AM, ellentonboy said:

@Samak76- can you tell us why you were disappointed?  Lack of turn out, quality of the guys, not organized well?  I used to do alot of the former "circuit events" and even though they were nothing advertised like IML is, you could always count on a good turn out in certain cities with plenty of guys to go around.  Those events stopped when organizers, at the events I went to, were accused of stealing money from what was supposed to be a charity event.  

Sorry you had a bad time, that is disappointing.

Horribly produced. Events were across town. And Chicago is huge.  The attendees weren’t jerks at all.  We were all trying our best. 
They clearly can’t balance the cost. Partially Covid. Partially a dying crowd. Completely mismanaged. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Wow, I’m really sorry to hear that. This was the first time in 18 years I haven’t gone. And two of my friends said the same thing. I’m sure I would’ve had fun but with these reviews the money will be spent better elsewhere. I hope it’s better next year.

• Like 3

I came in for IML just like I have for years, and had a good time but compared to past years, here’s a couple points I noticed. 

*There was a definitely a lack of the intrinsic joy and feeling of community that past IML’s have had. While it was still crowded people felt more click ish and less willing to meet others.

*way less sex overall. Doors always used to be open everywhere and public sex even in spaces where it was technically prohibited was the norm. That was NOT the case this year. It was almost like everyone switched from a cruising mindset to an app mindset. 

*Events were VERY widely scattered and somewhat disorganized. As noted Chicago is fairly large and spending over $300 on Uber/taxi/lyft was the norm for the weekend. Many events were not close to transit systems.  Events at the hotel were meager and mainly was just about the leather mart. 

*Costs for certain things were just annoying, like $12 for a mediocre well cocktail at the leather mart. This was compounded by the fact that the events were so far and required transport.

*the hotel staff which always gets special training for this event was way off. To the extent that they were asking people to leave if they were not staying there.  

I still had a great time seeing everyone but when all of those items combined the event fully lost some of the magic it always had. I will still go next year and I imagine the organizers will try and fix some of the issues that people had this year. 

Edited by wood
Added more info
  • Thanks 2

On 5/31/2024 at 11:18 AM, wood said:

I came in for IML just like I have for years, and had a good time but compared to past years, here’s a couple points I noticed. 

*There was a definitely a lack of the intrinsic joy and feeling of community that past IML’s have had. While it was still crowded people felt more click ish and less willing to meet others.

*way less sex overall. Doors always used to be open everywhere and public sex even in spaces where it was technically prohibited was the norm. That was NOT the case this year. It was almost like everyone switched from a cruising mindset to an app mindset. 

*Events were VERY widely scattered and somewhat disorganized. As noted Chicago is fairly large and spending over $300 on Uber/taxi/lyft was the norm for the weekend. Many events were not close to transit systems.  Events at the hotel were meager and mainly was just about the leather mart. 

*Costs for certain things were just annoying, like $12 for a mediocre well cocktail at the leather mart. This was compounded by the fact that the events were so far and required transport.

*the hotel staff which always gets special training for this event was way off. To the extent that they were asking people to leave if they were not staying there.  

I still had a great time seeing everyone but when all of those items combined the event fully lost some of the magic it always had. I will still go next year and I imagine the organizers will try and fix some of the issues that people had this year. 

How do we tell the organizers?

12 hours ago, Samak76 said:

How do we tell the organizers?

Halfway through reading wood's commentary, I started wondering the same thing.  It's been a few years since I moved to Ft. L., but I still know (at least tangentially) some of them, and I'd definitely ask a few guys a few questions.  Sounds like an issue with the Committee.  Is the LA&M still in that mix? 

I did not stay at Congress this year. I went to The Congress on Friday night and hung out in lobby bar with friends.  The bartenders were clueless. Congress used to have such a friendly and organized staff. Two years ago at The Congress, my room got robbed, and the staff couldn't do anything right,  so I'm not going back. Every time we came into the hotel we had to go through security and show we were guests, butt I still encountered  2 people in the halls that were definitely not IML patrons, and I got robbed. This year I was not going to pay $180 for market pass. My friends said the market was really disappointing and didn't buy anything. I asked my friends to get me poppers butt I bought poppers at Steamworks for $25.  I really enjoyed staying at "The Den off Eastlake." I'm not giving IML any of my money anymore.

I just wrote a post about my adventures at Steamworks in "Where did you get your last load?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dickluva said:

I really enjoyed staying at "The Den off Eastlake.

Do you mean Eastlake Terrace ???  

There wasn't anything particularly "gay" on that street when I lived in R.P. ..... Please tell more !!!