Classic Trump

honestly i'm lost. sorry if this is being insensitive but i don't get it. 

Pete B for example says he's gay. i'm proud that an out gay man has a high profile job but it has zero to do with him being qualified and or my voting for or against him. likewise i've literally asked zero questions like "but is he really gay tho?" or brought up a GF he may or may not have had in the past or claimed that a married white father wasn't "gay enough" to please me. etc. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PozBearWI said:

What does it matter.  Of the two candidates one is looking to benefit us the voters, the other is looking to benefit himself.  How is race even relevant to this particular election?

People like to know what party people represent because that usually gives them a good idea of their Ideology and what agenda they’re going to follow.

I don’t think there’s any wrong with black voters asking her ethnicity because like the political parties, many of us have our ideology and agenda, and we need to see if hers aligns with ours.

4 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

He shamelessly compares himself to Abraham Lincoln.

per the above ^ ....

There's a new theatrical production opening soon, about that tragic event at Ford's Theatre in DC.  

Maybe the Orange-utang will find his interest piqued, and oh .....  decide to sit in the Presidential Box of Ford's Theatre in DC. 

Some say history repeats itself,  but that's more an old wives tale than anything else .....   

8 minutes ago, norefusal said:

honestly i'm lost. sorry if this is being insensitive but i don't get it. 

Pete B for example says he's gay. i'm proud that an out gay man has a high profile job but it has zero to do with him being qualified and or my voting for or against him. likewise i've literally asked zero questions like "but is he really gay tho?" or brought up a GF he may or may not have had in the past or claimed that a married white father wasn't "gay enough" to please me. etc. 

That is totally apples and oranges. Because Pete Buttigieg has always said he was gay and never claimed to be anything else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

That is totally apples and oranges. Because Pete Buttigieg has always said he was gay and never claimed to be anything else.

no it's not and your last post proves it. when i was younger i made the silly assumption that a gay man would naturally not vote against his own interests and be a republican. boy was i wrong! knowing someone's minority group gives you zero useful information about their abilities or their political leanings. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

Google is a friendly tool. I did a search - 'Kamala Harris dosa'. Btw, Kamala means 'lotus', in Sanskrit, and her grandparents lived in Besant Nagar, in Chennai, as she said during the video. 

1 hour ago, BlackDude said:

In her case, yes. Especially if your going to use that as a credential and gain credibility with black voters

i'm a tall skinny white guy, and i like the fact that Kamala is a woman, Indian and Black.  For me, it has nothing to do with credibility, but perspective.  She will bring diversity and perspective to the office, and i think that's an asset.

Credibility is a different topic to me, though i do find Trump to be incredible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

I don’t think there’s any wrong with black voters asking her ethnicity because like the political parties, many of us have our ideology and agenda, and we need to see if hers aligns with ours.

Question answered, move on counselor....as is often said during law series on TV. Next you'll say she's not American enough because she spent 1978-1981 in Montreal while her mother was a cancer researcher  and lecturer in McGill University. [think before following links] https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/westmount-highschool-kamala-harris-u-s-vice-president-1.5881211 

1 hour ago, BlackDude said:

she's a member of the AKA sorority - how come I know this and you don't? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poz50something said:

she's a member of the AKA sorority - how come I know this and you don't? 

What does her being in a sorority have to anything? You’re assuming I didn’t know that?

Edited by BlackDude

Some random thoughts on both Kamala Harris's racial identity and Pete Buttigieg's sexual orientation:

Harris has always, to my knowledge, acknowledged that she is part Black and part (south) Asian. In fact, I seem to recall - though I could be wrong - that in some of her early local races (when she was an official in San Francisco) that she touted this as an advantage, having been exposed to multiple cultures growing up, and being judged for her assumed identity as part of those cultures. For Orange Julius to latch onto a few instances where she focused on her Indian heritage and decry her as "not Black" not only reveals his inherent racism (and limited intellect), but overlooks the long history of racial identity in this country, where having one great-great-grandparent who was Black was enough to have you declared "Black" in many states. That had significant repercussions in an era of ostensibly "separate but equal" meant the racial identity handed you by the government, as opposed to the one you defined for yourself, either granted you access to certain things or blocked you.

I'm not a supporter of pure race-identity politics, where the assumption is that people should vote for a candidate simply because of his or her race. And yet, I do think race is a relevant factor - not because I think people of a particular race are better suited for certain positions, or because people of some other race or not suited for it. Rather, I think that for offices that have historically been held only by people from a particular group - typically, straight white Christian men - opening those offices to qualified people who don't fit that mold can only improve things - because their perspectives as someone from outside the typical governing class can change the way government works.

As a simple example from decades ago: Lindy Boggs, the first woman to represent Louisiana in Congress in decades, served on the Banking Committee, and when the committee was marking up the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (which barred discrimination on the basis of race, religion, or national origin in granting credit), she quietly took her copy, added "sex" and "marital status" to the bill, and made copies for all the other members. Then she told them "Knowing the members composing this committee as well as I do, I'm sure it was just an oversight that we didn't have 'sex' or 'marital status' included. I've taken care of that, and I trust it meets with the committee's approval." She was the most junior member of the committee, but her late husband had been the Democratic Majority Leader at the time of his death (and in line to become Speaker), and no one wanted to cross her. The fact that married women can have credit in their own names is directly due to her intervention, something none of the men on the committee had thought about.

The same is true when it's not sex, but race, or sexual identity or orientation, or religion, that's the issue. Gay men and lesbians are going to think of how things will affect other gay men and lesbians, even if straight people might not. So having a variety of perspectives among our elected officials is important, and in my view, it rises to the level of a qualification for office.

There's this myth we have in this country (and possibly elsewhere, though I can't speak for that) that there is always a single "best" person for a job, an office, or whatever, and we need to focus solely on finding that "best" person. The reality is that rarely is "best" necessary; there's a threshold of "good enough" that needs to be met, and beyond that, a host of other factors can (and should) be considered. Race, sex, sexual orientation, and so forth are among those - not that we should always vote for "one of our own", but that we should strive to see that there's diversity. Because diversity of experience means diversity of viewpoint, and engaging with diverse viewpoints is always preferable to just continuing with the same old same old. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

What does her being in a sorority have to anything? You’re assuming I didn’t know that?

AKA is the first sorority from a HBCU, Howard University.  It was founded in 1908. You were questioning her 'black' bona fides....

Edited by Poz50something