Classic Trump

1 minute ago, BlackDude said:

What does her being in a sorority have to anything? You’re assuming I didn’t know that?

I believe that the point is not that she was in "a sorority" but she was in the oldest Black sorority in the country. She was a member in the early 80's, and my understanding (though I could be mistaken) is that the sorority at the time was effectively (if not legally) restricted to Black women. In other words, she was Black enough for AKA, which is pretty strong evidence she was considered Black at the time, even if she was also considered Asian.

• Thanks 3

1. Me, like most black people, are not voting for Trump. They may have a few people who the republicans or Fox News do some racial showcasing with, but it’s not a wave. The only exceptions would probably be protest votes or black citizens in NY or Chicago who are directly affected by the migrant wave. Trumps racial credentials are platinum plated and a non starter for most. 

2. Black voters are not hung up on race for the most part. We been voting for democratic for years, race not a factor. However, if you’re  use your blackness to entice black voters, then we need to check your authenticity. Someone famous once said politics is war without the bloodshed. So if you’re going to wear our uniform and our badge, then we need to check your paperwork.

3. Her engaging in stereotypical troupes about black people (Kwanza, collard greens, 2Pac, etc.) is off putting to newer black voters, especially when the timelines are off. We want policy proposals.

4. Black voters are allowed to have an agenda and vet their candidates as they see fit just like every other voter group.

5. Her being in sorority is inconsequential and no evidence of blackness. People have a bad habit of being black when the can get something, then saying kiss my behind after. See Vijay Chokal-Ingam, Rachael Dolezal. We are not political or social slaves. 

6. Like it or not, Obama changed the mindset of many of the black electorate. Symbolism ain’t gonna fly anymore. 

7, Black voters are not “uneducated” or “misinformed” if they don’t agree with Dems. 

8. Pedistalising Black women or other gender warring tactics is a risk strategy. Ignoring black male voters, a la Stacy Abram’s, especially in a close race, is not advisable. 

Edited by BlackDude
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

@BlackDude - I can't disagree with much of what you've written. But I would note, as I have many times before: if you don't want Trump as president, and you don't vote for his principal opponent (and live in a state that could go either way), you're basically voting for him anyway.

I don't mean this as a civics lecture, but when we vote for or against a ballot proposition of some sort, we can choose "yes" or "no" (or "for" vs. "against", depending on wording). With votes for a candidate, in a system (like that for president) where only one of two people has any chance of election, not voting for the (even marginally) better candidate is roughly equivalent to casting half a vote for the worse candidate.

I think - and you may disagree, of course - that Trump represents a clear, present, and unique danger to the United States. If he is returned to office, I think most of the norms we have depended on to keep government effective for us will be shattered. If he replaces a resigning Thomas or Alito (or both) with another under-50 justice like Barrett, we could be facing 30+ years before the Supreme Court can be returned to some semblance of sanity. If Kagan or Sotomayor has to retire for health reasons, we could be looking at a 7-2 Conservative Supreme Court for 40 years.

I get that some people feel like they have to be "motivated" to vote for someone, otherwise they withhold their vote. And that's certainly one way to look at it. But I have no patience for anyone who does that, and then complains because the worse candidate, who they helped elect through refusing to vote against him, pushes through something truly awful. And it's especially important this election, where our future is at stake. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

@BlackDude - I can't disagree with much of what you've written. But I would note, as I have many times before: if you don't want Trump as president, and you don't vote for his principal opponent (and live in a state that could go either way), you're basically voting for him anyway.

I don't mean this as a civics lecture, but when we vote for or against a ballot proposition of some sort, we can choose "yes" or "no" (or "for" vs. "against", depending on wording). With votes for a candidate, in a system (like that for president) where only one of two people has any chance of election, not voting for the (even marginally) better candidate is roughly equivalent to casting half a vote for the worse candidate.

I think - and you may disagree, of course - that Trump represents a clear, present, and unique danger to the United States. If he is returned to office, I think most of the norms we have depended on to keep government effective for us will be shattered. If he replaces a resigning Thomas or Alito (or both) with another under-50 justice like Barrett, we could be facing 30+ years before the Supreme Court can be returned to some semblance of sanity. If Kagan or Sotomayor has to retire for health reasons, we could be looking at a 7-2 Conservative Supreme Court for 40 years.

I get that some people feel like they have to be "motivated" to vote for someone, otherwise they withhold their vote. And that's certainly one way to look at it. But I have no patience for anyone who does that, and then complains because the worse candidate, who they helped elect through refusing to vote against him, pushes through something truly awful. And it's especially important this election, where our future is at stake. 

Well, we have a fundamental disagreement. Because if Trump is so bad and so evil, which I believe he is, then the burden should be on the opposing candidate to earn my vote.  

You’re not gonna get my vote by default fear or telling me you aren’t going to do nothing for me. That represents the status quo and that is not acceptable for me. 

As far as the Supreme Court goes, the Democrats put themselves and that position. Starting by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, not retiring when it was advantageous to her party. Next, by wasting their time, trying to get Donald Trump removed from the ballot because they didn’t want to run against him instead of turning out the heat on Clarence Thomas

7 hours ago, topblkmale said:

So she's mixed or biracial.

Which part of her family is black?

The Jamaican half. African slaves were employed in cane fields until the British banned slavery and remunerated slave owners. On an island as small as Jamaica intermingling of black and white communities is unavoidable.

9 minutes ago, descartes70817 said:

The Jamaican half. African slaves were employed in cane fields until the British banned slavery and remunerated slave owners. On an island as small as Jamaica intermingling of black and white communities is unavoidable.

Jamaican doesn’t mean black. He could be Indo-Jamaican.

10 minutes ago, descartes70817 said:

Jamaica + African slaves.

Thanks @descartes70817

I get it now

Kamala Harris is black. 

One love. 🇯🇲

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BlackDude said:

Well, we have a fundamental disagreement. Because if Trump is so bad and so evil, which I believe he is, then the burden should be on the opposing candidate to earn my vote.  

I understand your point. I cast my first vote for Gerald Ford. Then in ‘80,  I thought Reagan was evil, but I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Carter. So I voted 3rd party for Jon Anderson. I regret that vote, and I’d never vote 3rd party again. But only you get to decide what you value most. I hope you’ll land on Harris, but you have to be true to yourself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

i'm a tall skinny white guy, and i like the fact that Kamala is a woman, Indian and Black.  For me, it has nothing to do with credibility, but perspective.  She will bring diversity and perspective to the office, and i think that's an asset.

Credibility is a different topic to me, though i do find Trump to be incredible.

I always love your rational, level headed approach. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlackDude said:

What does her being in a sorority have to anything? You’re assuming I didn’t know that?

Are you actually a white straight Russian troll?  Because that’s exactly what a white straight Russian troll on Xitter would say.

• Like 1

well, i suppose all minorities are unique but while i 100% agree with those saying it has nothing to do w credibility or qualifications, i also realize the topic is triggering to me due to my own past. 

the "gay community" is a mess when it comes to inclusion and in particular its lack of acceptance of bisexuality and the toxic attitude of " there are no bisexual men, only gays in denial". 

it also goes back to my early childhood when we moved to the #2 state with the largest % of italian americans. we were literally the very first family on the block that was not 100% italian american and our new neighbors openly spoke of it often, telling us to our faces that we weren't real italian americans.

you don't get over these kinds of blatant rejections easily. that's just my perspective. 

13 hours ago, BlackDude said:

You’re not gonna get my vote by default fear or telling me you aren’t going to do nothing for me. That represents the status quo and that is not acceptable for me. 

As far as the Supreme Court goes, the Democrats put themselves and that position. Starting by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, not retiring when it was advantageous to her party. Next, by wasting their time, trying to get Donald Trump removed from the ballot because they didn’t want to run against him instead of turning out the heat on Clarence Thomas

No, Mitch McConnell put us in this position when he decided that ratifying a proposed candidate from our black president was too much to bear in his last year in office, but when Orange Geesus posed his in his last weeks, that was fast tracked.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1