Brrrrrrrrr!!! It's bloody fall again....

I am constantly amazed how quickly it turns from warm summer temperatures to a cold bloody day. What I find, and it's always been the case since the day I came to Montreal in 2002, is that my libido plummets to close to nothing when the temp. goes down. I lived in Georgia from 1994 - 2001, and while everyone else around me loved the change from sweltering stickiness to wearing several layers to keep warm. I detested this, still do. I wonder if it has to de with being HIV+ or just the fact that I grew up near the Equator. I am also wondering if there is anything you could suggest to make this better, to gain some hold on the winter blues that I go through every single year. 

1 hour ago, Poz50something said:

I am constantly amazed how quickly it turns from warm summer temperatures to a cold bloody day. What I find, and it's always been the case since the day I came to Montreal in 2002, is that my libido plummets to close to nothing when the temp. goes down. I lived in Georgia from 1994 - 2001, and while everyone else around me loved the change from sweltering stickiness to wearing several layers to keep warm. I detested this, still do. I wonder if it has to de with being HIV+ or just the fact that I grew up near the Equator. I am also wondering if there is anything you could suggest to make this better, to gain some hold on the winter blues that I go through every single year. 

It's odd because in my case, it's the exact opposite. I'm more of a Cole Porter kind of guy in that respect - when it's too darned hot, my libido plunges. Come spring or fall, things skyrocket. Winter, it depends on the circumstances (maybe because winters here are so irregular, bouncing between a low in the teens one night up to a high in the 60's or 70's a few days later). 

There is a documented condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder - it's a type of depression that typically sets in somewhere in fall or early winter. It may be triggered by the shortening of day length and less sunlight, which isn't a stretch - we know, for example, that bird migration is mostly triggered by day length, or photoperiod. Even in species that migrate earlier or later in the calendar than most, it seems that when day length reaches a certain point, it triggers something in their DNA to alter behavior.

I'd look into whether that could be your issue - there are treatments available, not just with medication but with other things like light boxes (exposing you to light that mimics sunlight, early in the morning, which seems to trigger chemical changes in the brain) and exercise. 

• Upvote 2