Internet Manners

thick

Maybe Im from a different generation. Possibly its because Im southern. Is because I have some education? I dont know. What crawls up my ass the most about online cruising is when I give a guy a compliment like..... "nice ass!" or Beautiful body man!", and I get silence in return. I see on my track list where the fucker has checked me out. Is it that hard for someone to say "thank you"??

Lets say I was in a bar and I praised a guy and he looked me up and down, said nothing and walked away. In my mind thats equally as rude. I understand cyberspace gives people a feeling of anonymity, but rudeness is rudeness.

I say thanks to even the lowliest of trolls. Its common courtesy! Ive gotten to the point now that when Im dissed like this I send the bastard another mail saying "youre welcome, asshole."

Yeah youre gonna tell me to grow a thicker skin.......but I know Im not the only guy this type behavior pisses off!

Edited by thick
  • Like 1

I agree thick. I always send a "thank you" back if I get a compliment. If I like pics of the sender too I add a compliment as well. If I don't really like the sender I just send a "thank you" and leave it at that. Unfortunately, in the latter case, for some guys the reason I reply is for them to start sending me messages asking me to hook up. Which I am really not interested in. Sometimes a "no, thank you" is not enough and they continue sending me messages. Some then use abusive language, simply because I am not interested. In that case I just block them. I do not easily do that, because blocking people may lead to the fact that they start badmouthing you on the site. Not sure why some people have that attitude, but it happens.

Three of us from three different countries agreeing one one simple fact. Personally I think the custom of usernames has led a substantial number of people into believing that they're totally anonymous online, and therefore can say what they want. I use perhaps four screennames in all and whichever screenname I'm using I try to write as though I was speaking to someone in the room. As thick said, you wouldn't act that way in a physical setting so why do it online?

Some guys feel if a thank you is returned its open to keep on contacting. If im not interested, why would i want further contact from someone ?
as I see it. a thank you is not an open invitation for anything. If I hold the door open for some woman at the store and she walks in like Im the doorman and its my job to hold the door AND she doesnt say thank you. That pisses me off. I have gotten bold as of late and will say flat out "youre welcome" snidely. If that same person says thank you when I hold the door open......am I expecting to fuck her in the produce section? no. kindness and compliments doesnt mean it has to go anywhere else. Its selfish people who dont understand what being nice is all about.

as I see it. a thank you is not an open invitation for anything. If I hold the door open for some woman at the store and she walks in like Im the doorman and its my job to hold the door AND she doesnt say thank you. That pisses me off. I have gotten bold as of late and will say flat out "youre welcome" snidely. If that same person says thank you when I hold the door open......am I expecting to fuck her in the produce section? no. kindness and compliments doesnt mean it has to go anywhere else. Its selfish people who dont understand what being nice is all about.

Thick,

Your right on the mark here. Over the years I have come to notice what I like to call "It's all about me" syndrome. I like you see it everywhere. I too have done things similar to you with opening doors and I too was raised in the south. Hopefully if we all work on it we can change it one person at a time.

We all have to put forth a little effort and things can change. "Just be nice and polite"

I agree with all of you on this point. I get it all the time. I send a guy a compliment knowing full well he wont be interested in anything with me but get silence in return, and like thick know for a fact he's checked me out.

Personally I blame it all on technology. With the advent of Texting and Cell phones, people have lost all sence of "good breeding". Manners are a thing of the past one might even say Retro, particularly with the youth of today, they are just rude. Teenagers in convience stores just slapping change on teh counter and not even looking at you or ignoring you for 5 minutes becuase they have their phones in their hands.

It's all the techno age fault, in my opinion. And I wasnt raised in the South. Thats my 0.02.

I am 29 YO, so I am not as old as some here, neither I am a teenager.

Brothers, please let's cut the crap of missing the good old times. Some of the worst assholes I have found on the Internet are guys in their fifities. Some very polite, mild mannered guys that I have rejected (I usually don't do guys under 25) are 20 or 19.

As I get old it amuses me to see some very obnoxious people I met back in the day shocked, outraged at today's youth. Big deal.

Ageism works in both directions.

I agree with you when its a door being held open in public but not on a sex site. sex sites, we are there to pick up and get picked up, I feel that makes it very different from real life. id always thank you for holding the door, id always thank the top for fucking me. but replying with a thank you on a sex site always ends up with another email being sent back from a guy i have no interest in whatsoever. So why bother with the thank you ? email and the internet are not and have never been a place for politeness, manners, perfect punctuation etc. that is what face to face and letters written on letterhead are for.

With that all said, I respect your opinion.

i believe in fuck karma.

you never know. the guy you ignored or insulted yesterday could be best friends with the guy you try to hook up with tomorrow. and they could talk.

it costs nothing to be kind, even if you're not interested. you can be clear without being rude.

You've hit the nail on the head, einathens - you can be clear without being rude.

Yes, some people are apparently so starved for attention that if you respond "Thank you", they take it as an invitation to start outlining how your first date's going to go. That can be handled politely too.

Here's how it goes with me:

PersonI'mNotInterestedIn: Nice pics guy!

Me: Thank you, that's very kind of you.

PINII: Nice pics guy!

Me: Thank you, that's very kind of you.

PINII: YW, I'd sure love to meet you and shower you with attention

Me: Again, very kind of you. Thanks - and good luck in finding what you're looking for!

Keeping things polite but formal isn't hard and you eventually get across the message. And sometimes, yes, you do have to be clearer:

PINII: So when do u want to meet so we can fuck?

Me: I'm sorry, I don't think I said I was in a position to do that. I don't see that happening, though it's always nice to know someone's interested. Good luck!

Note: while I do believe one must always respond to polite compliments, there's no need to respond to impertinence or rudeness.

PINII: your hot

Me: Thank you, very kind of you.

PINII: always answer ME with SIR YES SIR u wrothless fagit

Me: [sounds of crickets chirping]

• Upvote 1