What Was Your Family's Religion?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Family's Religion?

• Protestant - Born Again Christian
    • Protestant - Other
    • Roman Catholic
    • Other Christian
    • Jewish
    • Other Organized Religion (Muslim, Buddist, Hindu, etc.)
    • "Spiritual", but not part of an organized religion
    • Atheist / Agnostic / Deist

Was raised Catholic, and it's kinda done a bit of a number on my spiritual life. Yes, I went to Catholic schools as a kid. Yes, I was an altar boy and all that. No, I wasn't molested (sorry to ruin the fantasy, but it's the sad truth LOL).

I can't, in good conscience, stay in a religion that's so anti-gay. The Catholic hierarchy, IMO, are the poster boys for the closeted guys who cover up for themselves by lashing out at openly gay men. But I was indoctrinated well enough that I can't really buy into much of anything else.

So I fill the gaping hole in my spiritual life with lots of meaningless and anonymous sex ;) Well, hell, it's as good an excuse as any for why I'm such a pig.

• 8 months later...

raised catholic spent 16 years in catholic schools and in spite of the churches "official" stand on homosexuality have not been able to get away from the church It has never hindered my deviant life style and seem to have found a balance with my sexuality and spirituality

I was brought up in this nasty, evil, vile cult called church of christ. in my early teens I started asking "why" why certain things happened the party line answer they kept giving "it is gods will. don't question it". after about a year, I quit asking and stopped believing. I still had to go to church to keep the peace but I was going through the motions until I graduated high school and went into the USAF and told those sorry motherfuckers to kiss my ass.

Dad is a Sunni-Muslim Albanian, Mom is Orthodox Christian Montenegrin. we were raised Muslim, tho we also celebrated Easter and Xmas, particularly bcuz the latter is a week later in the Orthodox tradition than in the Western Xian one, so basically Xmas Eve/NYE-Xmas/New Years were the same for us. in terms of doctrine, Albanians tend to be much more hardcore about ethnic traditions than religious ones...were were bloodfeuding a thousand years b4 the Sicilians and have a more elaborate attachment to it, especially the mountain-clan stock my dad descends from. Montenegrins r similar, just slavic.

turns out the exact region my Dad's side is from had a gay marriage tradition recognized by local imams and priests:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1ha9GgWNmy0C&pg=PA315&lpg=PA315&dq=same+sex+unions+in+Albania&source=bl&ots=MKHDr8nVIq&sig=yvIj8U4_keJ4myP4SfA8sVDGqz4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eqU0T7bhMoLi0QGX5NW4Ag&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=same%20sex%20unions%20in%20Albania&f=false

I was raised Baptist and did the whole church every Sunday thing with my mom and grandmother. But I also went to private Catholic school for SEVERAL years and was forced to attend and participate in Mass...also attended private Baptist school as well. I never bought into any of that mess and refused to be baptized. I also attended my traditional Native American Pow Wows. I've personally always considered myself to be Pagan/traditional Native American and have always believed and practiced as such.

Roman catholic until our gay priest killed himself in the basement of the rectory. Mom then converted us to Lutheranism (catholic lite). Dad became a jehovah's witness after is marriage to his 2nd wife. After what my dad, his wife, and the jehovah's witnesses did to me when my dad found me fucking a neighbor kid's ass bareback when I was 13 years old, I refused to go to any type of church or place of worship ever again. Hard to believe there's a god after my dad, his wife, and the jehovah's were done with me.

Edited by RyanWolff

• 4 weeks later...

I was raised as catholic, but to quote the comedian George Carlin, "I was catholic until I reached the age of reason." After growing up with the religion being shoved down my throat, I left the catholic church, and havent set foot in one since my mothers funeral in 1997. It wasnt pleasant growing up under such strict religiousness. Very strict, indeed. And (unfortunately) even tho I was an alter server, none of the fun molestations never happened to me either! Anyway, nowdays, I guess im more Pagan or *****ist than anything, and i wouldnt have it any other way!

• 8 months later...