MRSA infections

This maybe a little confusing and I hope I explain this right. But my question is this, if you had a previous mrsa infection and it was treated how likely is it that you will get it again? Are you more easily able to contract and spread it? I have been getting conflicting answers. Thank you

I had it and almost died. Thankfully I had doctors that knew immediately what was wrong with me. I was in the hospital for eight days, had two operations and on home nursing for a month after. Have had no issues since. That was ten years ago. Completely changed my view on life. I enjoy it more and don't worry about little things. My doctor told me it could happen again but most likely will not. He told me I have a very strong immune system or I would not have made it.

i was getting chronic staph infections... mostly due to my job in a hospital doing wound care. anyways my doctor told me to wash with a surgical pre-op soap... ask your pharmacist. I apply it with a shower scrubby head to toe and let it sit. I have not had a recurence since I started that. staph lives very well in you nose... you can also once a month apply an antibiotic ointment to the inside of your nose for a week every 30 days. most effective is washing your hands. the index finger is the dirtiest part of your body... it goes everywhere while you sleep, it defends from all of those pesky itches all night long... and always wash your hands before you touch your dick... your dick is clean you hands are not. lol

• Moderators

My father who was in poor health for years brought home a MRSA infection from the hospital a few years ago. He had several recurrences including one that ended up spreading to my husband when my sister didn't change the sheets in the guestroom between their visit and ours (thanks, sis). My husband's first outbreak was so bad he spent two days in the hospital himself. After that he and I both had several incidents.

The two things we did that seemed to finally get the germs out of our house were washing with the soap newtin78 talked about and treating our laundry. Everything that could take bleach, we bleached. Everything else we washed with a capful of Lysol disinfectant mixed in with the detergent. We did this for a couple of months, and we stopped having MRSA outbreaks. I still treat our underwear with it once a month or so as a preventative.

Gee, I didn't know how dangerous it could be.

For a time, my skin was constantly errupting in boils. They were unsightly and inconvenient, especially when they bled, but they typically resolved themselves without extraordinary treatment.

Twice I was scared because of where the boils appeared: once near my right eye and another time on the back of my head. I was given a course of antibiotics the first time, and the swelling went down the first day. The other time, the antibiotics had no effect. It was MRSA; I had to return to the doctor's office daily for monitoring and draining of puss, and I took a special antibiotic that cost (at that time) about $100 per pill.

This period was when I had been on HIV medication for years already and my numbers were always in normal range (or even high), but I was partying and whoring a lot.

I just noticed that I didn't really address the question. When I was having frequent skin infections, I was tested for MRSA just once but could have had it both before and after. I always attributed the infections to my own behavior and not to mutating germs, but I never discussed this with the doctor or anyone else.

Pretty much, yes. If it is found in a person's wound, then when the wound closes, others will not be able to be exposed to it. It is only harmful really to those that are compromised, like have a decreased immune system or are extremely sick. For healthy people it pretty much like lays "dormant". There are probably more people walking around with MRSA in their bodies than you would ever know

This maybe a little confusing and I hope I explain this right. But my question is this, if you had a previous mrsa infection and it was treated how likely is it that you will get it again? Are you more easily able to contract and spread it? I have been getting conflicting answers. Thank you

There is no easy way to answer your question. As always a big factor is how well your immune system functions. the wikipedia article has some good information on MRSA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methicillin-resistant_Staphylococcus_aureus

In short its nothing to mess with and can cause major infections even in healthy populations. I have had a couple friends get it, and they were all young or middle aged and healthy. The major issue is overuse of antibiotics. Too many people take antibiotics when their body will naturally clear an infection. I have a few friends like that, where EVERYTIME they have a slight sniffle they rush to the doctor and demand antibiotics, which for the vast majority of the time wont do shit.

However if you suspect you have MRSA, as others have said, EVERYTHING needs to be cleaned with powerful disinfectants, including stuff like trashcans. Otherwise it can come back.