I'm 19 and ready to be Poz.

Am I ready to become poz?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Am I ready to become poz?

To me this is like asking, I'm (insert age), am I ready for cancer? Or any other disease. It's a disease for pete's sake. You ask as if you are thinking of getting a tattoo. It's a fucking virus.

exactly, its not a damn "gift" its a disease that without consistent treatment will kill you. Who wants that!?

If you are hell bent on getting bugged, first go buy a cheep "Term Life" insurance policy. That's not one with savings. It's just insurance. Buy a big enough policy to cover the price of the house or condo you eventually plan on purchasing. Keep up the payments - it's only going to be something like $25 a month. You'll need life insurance insurance to get the mortgage, and you won't be able to get it when you're Poz.

You don't need any kind of life insurance to get a mortgage...

I voted NO. HIV is still a disease. And at the moment, still a lifelong one. It cannot be cured until now. I don't know where this desire to become poz comes from. I have been lucky to BB for a while and still remain neg. If you really, really want to become poz then sort out your insurance first. I am not exactly sure how health insurance is cared for there (depends on where you are living I suppose). Otherwise you need to spend a LOT of money for your medication. and at 19 I don't see how you can. Or do you expect your parents to pay for it? Be responsible for your own health, and at 19 I think that is too young.

I voted no because you're 19 and if you poz now you'll have 60 years to live with it IF you make it that long. You're 19 and are still learning who you are and what you want in life and should not depend on anonymous people on the Internet voting on a life changing event like getting poz. I voted no out of compassion for you because I would hats to see you ruin your life at such a young age.

In the end it is up to you, you are the one to live with it. I wish you well and good luck.

I voted no. Why not use PrEP and enjoy the same sexual freedom with much less risk, assuming that you will take your medication daily?

Someone suggested that you buy life insurance before becoming positive, as it will be a requirement for taking out a mortgage if you want to buy a home. That is not true. Mortgage lenders care about your assets, debts, income and job, not your health record. Mortgages need not be life-insured.

If you later have a spouse and/or children whom you want to protect, many employers offer term life insurance that costs pennies a day. There is no health evaluation if you enroll when you start a new job. "Term" means that you're only covered for a certain period of time -- while you work for the employer, in this case. Once you retire, presumably your home will be paid off and you'll also have savings to pass on to your heirs, making life insurance less necessary at that stage.

Perhaps my initial statement was poorly worded. Let me rephrase.

There is more to life than being a cumdump piggy whore. HIV has tendrils that creep into other aspects of your life. There are unintended consequences to HIV that a young Bug Chaser may not have considered.

Major purchase often require that you buy disability insurance **1. Disability insurance usually has a few health questions. Policies with health questions usually specifically mention HIV as one their preexisting conditions. For example: Life Investors Insurance Company of America Term Life and Disability Insurance Application -- Question 1. Sometimes it may not be in the questions, but is listed in the consent to release information. For example: Assurity Live Insurance Company: Ohio Application for Mortguage Disability Income Insurance - Page 6. It may also be on the disability insurance Claim Form, in the consent to release information. For example from my bank: Mortgage Disability Insurance (AIMP) Claim Creditor Insurance. Policies that include a provision for HIV, usually limit it to occupational exposure.

Regardless of a specific example, I think we can all agree that an HIV diagnosis creates complications for "normal" things like life insurance, travel insurance, or employer required medical exams.

Many states have enacted specific laws that criminalize sex while Poz. Some are vague enough that any body fluid is considered a contagion. There are people in jail for zero risk activities like mutual masturbation, or incarcerated for something as stupid as spitting.

The day after he shoots his load, an online hookup may regret his "heat of the moment" decision, and decide he want's PEP. A well meaning nurse or doctor may call the police, resulting in charges. It has happened, and the young Pozzie involved felt his life was ruined, and eventually hung himself in jail.

Former fuck buds, or jilted lovers may decide to start legal proceedings, claiming you never informed them. Since the discussion happened verbally, a Poz guy has no proof. The Pozzie is considered guilty, until proven innocent.

Many Neggies do not react well when you advise them of your status. Some are just rude and insulting, while others get hysterical and say "You're trying to murder me!" Lets not forget all the online profiles with "Clean U B 2" and "D & D Free." They wear you down over time.

My worst experience with disclosing my status, was a pup I chatted filthy with for several months. He asked - I revealed - He freaked. Figuring there was no chance, I switched to education mode. After a good discussion on safe sex, he said he wanted to meet, for meat. I went, but it was a set-up for a bashing. (I was aware enough, that I saw it from afar and avoided it.) He was afraid of a little cum in a condom, with the load not even shot while inside him, but he and a bud were perfectly willing to beat my head in with a tire iron. Which would have put him at more risk? I can at least understand the mind set of a bashing when status was disclosed AFTER sex. But Before Sex? Some Neggies are insane.

There are countries that do not allow people with HIV to visit them. They require a visa, and it's approval is dependant on a doctor's examination, blood tests, and medical form.

Some countries with an HIV embargo don't require a visa. But say you have a cut that requires stitches, and go to the hospital. Your status will be reported to the authorities, and upon completion of your treatment, you will be immediately deported.

My diagnosis happened long ago, when death was considered a certainty. As a result, I did not follow some carer paths, set inspirational life goals, and did not plan well for retirement. Being Poz can defiantly change your outlook on life.

Poz guys are twice as likely to experience erectile difficulties, and are five times more likely to have low testosterone for their age. A couple of examples of the "early aging" some Poz guys are experiencing.

Just a few of "these things you had no idea about." The list is endless.

Being Poz isn't romantic. It DOESN'T set you free. It's a ball and chain that shackles you for the rest of your life.

**1 From Wikipedia: "In the United States, subject to the Homeowners Protection Act of 1998,[5] a borrower who provides less than 20% down payment up front may be required to pay for private mortgage insurance until the outstanding mortgage is less than 80% of the value of the property"

**1 - Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (provides protection should the financial institution goes bankrupt): "Mortgage loan insurance is typically required by lenders when homebuyers make a down payment of less than 20% of the purchase price. Mortgage loan insurance helps protect lenders against mortgage default, and enables consumers to purchase homes with a minimum down payment of 5% — with interest rates comparable to those with a 20% down payment."

**1 -- CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) - Mortgage Disability Insurance - Key Benefits: "You'll receive simple and fast approval when the mortgage amount plus the outstanding principal balance of all your other disability insured CIBC brand mortgages is less than or equal to $500,000 and you answer "No" to the Health Questions on the insurance application and your mortgage is approved."

Term Life Insurance - From Wikipedia: Because term life insurance is a pure death benefit, its primary use is to provide coverage of financial responsibilities for the insured or his or her beneficiaries. Such responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, consumer debt, dependent care, university education for dependents, funeral costs, and mortgages. Term life insurance may be chosen in favor of "Permanent" or "Whole Life" insurance because Term insurance is usually much less expensive, even if the applicant is an everyday smoker. For example, an individual might choose to obtain a policy whose term expires near his or her retirement age based on the premise that, by the time the individual retires, he would have amassed sufficient funds in retirement savings to provide financial security for the claims.

In a guaranteed level premium Term Life insurance, the premium is guaranteed to be the same for a given period of years. The most common terms are 10, 15, 20, and 30 years.

• Upvote 1

stop being so negative (pun intended) - if he wants to enojy himself, encourage him. you're only young once

That is a very bad advice IMHO. The guy is only 19. He can enjoy himself and still be healthy. "Your only young once"" . Yes indeed. How long long do you want him to live??

• Administrators
stop being so negative (pun intended) - if he wants to enojy himself, encourage him. you're only young once

I gotta agree with this. I really envy the guys who are young today. When I came out and started having sex it was the height of the AIDS crisis and it just reinforced my generally conservative tendencies (I grew up in a fundamentalists household). If I had it to do all over again, without HIV being such a killer, I'd totally be a bareback pig - giving and taking loads. Now, with the advent of PrEP guys really can have a great time sexually. I do the best with what I've got, but it would be a blast to be young and hot today.

RT, Prep is not an option in all countries around the world. It may an approved medication in the US but it is not an approved medication in other countries. Please keep that in mind. Just want to point that out.

• Administrators
RT, Prep is not an option in all countries around the world. It may be an approved medication in the US but it is not an approved medication in other countries. Please keep that in mind. Just want to point that out.

The OP says he's in Hawaii, so it is an option in his case.