How many "neg+PrEP" liars do you think are there out there?

rawfuckr

BarebackRT now has a 'neg+PrEP' status. There are 173 folks in California and 66 in SF that have changed their profiles to Neg+PrEP.

I've been wondering if there are people out there who will lie about this when they are actually poz or simply not on PrEP. Not sure what the motivations would be, but looking around these forums with all this 'gifting' business I'd assume there are actually out there? How common you think they are?

• Upvote 1

Rawfuckr: Excellent question! I am on PrEP and have changed my status to Neg + PrEP on BBRTS. Just like those who lie about status, I would have to assume that liars will be present for PrEP. Like you, I am unsure of what their motivations would be however the mind is complex and who knows what the liar is truly thinking. What do I know? Since being on PrEP, my sexual activity has dropped enormously. I've had considerable blow back. I have also thought about lying about my status just to get laid. Sad but true.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I met someone who lied, he changes his status to show prep then when I mentioned it he said he wasn't on it. Today it still shows he's on it. Plus he lied about several other things on his profile too.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Blowback is a real thing. If you want you sex life to plummet put neg+prep on your bbrt profile. I've been thinking about pulling all that - but with so many still learning abt prep - seems best to keep it there.

Blowback is a real thing. If you want you sex life to plummet put neg+prep on your bbrt profile. I've been thinking about pulling all that - but with so many still learning abt prep - seems best to keep it there.

Of all the places, BBRT is the one I've had the least problems disclosing PrEP usage. Most people don't give a crap either way. Also, the number of Neg+PrEP seems to have doubled since a few months ago, so it can only get better.

Of all the places, BBRT is the one I've had the least problems disclosing PrEP usage. Most people don't give a crap either way. Also, the number of Neg+PrEP seems to have doubled since a few months ago, so it can only get better.

I have never had more sex in my life since changing to neg+prep. (And yes I am on it, see my other post)

After I tell people about it most want to be on it, several have.

Neg+Prep is turning out to be Neg + Rubber

Les_Evil: Excellent analogy! I think PrEP changes the risk dynamic mentally. It's that age old adage about the brain being the largest sex organ. It's the hunt/thrill. For most of us before PrEP, barebacking and taking loads was so taboo that that's what made it so hot and exciting. Now, Neg + PrEP = no excitement mentally. A profile with "Ask me..." or "Negative" still implies risk. Risk = mental excitement.

Les_Evil: Excellent analogy! I think PrEP changes the risk dynamic mentally. It's that age old adage about the brain being the largest sex organ. It's the hunt/thrill. For most of us before PrEP, barebacking and taking loads was so taboo that that's what made it so hot and exciting. Now, Neg + PrEP = no excitement mentally. A profile with "Ask me..." or "Negative" still implies risk. Risk = mental excitement.

I definitely agree with that. I went from Neg to Neg+PrEP to Ask Me. Neg and Ask Me definitely got me more hits.

Well, it was either that or a new pic of my ass ;)

• Upvote 1

BarebackRT now has a 'neg+PrEP' status. There are 173 folks in California and 66 in SF that have changed their profiles to Neg+PrEP.

I've been wondering if there are people out there who will lie about this when they are actually poz or simply not on PrEP. Not sure what the motivations would be, but looking around these forums with all this 'gifting' business I'd assume there are actually out there? How common you think they are?

Well I just had a FB diagnosed HIV+ who was on PrEP, went off because of a lack of insurance, because HIV+ and just a few days ago changed his profile to "positive" So it does happen. He could have been HIV+ for up to three months, and he was surely quite toxic in that time.

In general however I think people are lazy about changing status just like they are about getting tested. I bet there are many more people on PrEP who never changed their status. Additionally most of the people I have talked to have been pretty consistent with PrEP usage, so while my FB did convert, I think most people try to be better about taking PrEP than he was.

• Upvote 1

@wood: i always like your posts, even if we're diametrically opposed: PrEP v POZ. I really keep telling guys: well get pozzed or get on PrEP so you can hurt yourself

Thank you, I appreciate it. And really it has nothing to do with PrEP vs POZ. I strive for a balanced view no matter what.

PrEP isnt perfect, and I reiterate this all the time, but its by far the best tool we have right now. The whole idea of liars in general really irks me because it causes so many issues within the community. I think PrEP is too new to have many people lying about it. However I do think there are people that are willfully ignorant about it like my FB that just became poz. I bet he has been having raw sex for years before PrEP so when his insurance ran out, he didn't think twice about doing the same behavior as he did before. However in this circumstance he got infected and likely infected others while highly virulent because he is vers. All the while having a profile that says "Neg on PrEP. Call it lying, call it willful ignorance, but the end outcome is the same.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Neg + PrEP but on BBRT I put "Ask me" because I feel like that will get me the most interest and the least negative feedback. (Been reading about PrEP guys getting blasted for being on the drug.) And if someone asks then I truthfully answer that I'm neg and on PrEP.

• Upvote 1