What Do You Think Of The New Version Of Breeding Zone?

rawTOP

Opinion of new version of Breeding Zone  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new version of Breeding Zone?

• Administrators

It's very hard to navigate

A number of you have said "it's hard to navigate" but no one has detailed what you mean by it or even mentioned what platform you're on. If that's your issue, then you need to explain what you mean by it. Navigation has been simplified not made more complex. IMHO, it's actually easier to get around this site than the old one. I can do nothing for you unless you're specific.

Everyone comes to this site for different reasons, so you'll get hundreds of different answers on what they like/dislike. The best you can do is strike some kind of balance, and I think you've done that. Aside from speed/bug issues that can be improved with time, it's not TOO different from the previous site (but design wise it's definitely looking more slick). The individual post "blocks" are a bit full on - there's so much grey empty space that you could probably size them down a bit, still keep the content as it is, but fit more posts per page.

• Administrators

I've figured out why a sizeable minority of you are having problems. It's your browser… It's OLD… Read this…

https://breeding.zone/topic/29981-your-old-web-browser-is-why-this-site-looks-like-crap%E2%80%A6/

So basically I'm not supporting anything but the most common browser versions. That means those of you on IE7 or IE8 need to change browsers. Either upgrae to IE 10 or 11, or switch to Chrome or Firefox.

If you're still having issues, please state what OS you're on and browser you're using when you tell me your problem. I'm assuming this is the reason why people are having issues. I'm going to delete the poll and start a new one which specifically says not to vote unless you're on a current browser. I just don't have time to try to please people who can't be bothered to keep their software up-to-date.

I'm finding it very hard to navigate.

I can't find the threads I subscribe to on the mobile version and it doesn't work properly with forum runner any more (which was my preferred method of interaction, I can log in but every thread comes up as page does not exist).

I hope I get used to it but I'm finding it very hard to find the stuff I was looking at before :(

• Administrators

Another question...what does unproven in the green box on the profile page mean?

That's the new reputation system. "Unproven" is probably not the best word. If anyone has a better word to use - let me know. It basically means the person hasn't proven themselves yet. As people's posts get likes, the number will go up. So it's not about how many posts you do, but how much people like what you post.

I've been looking at the site on a big iMac and just now am looking on and 11" MacBook Air and I love that even using the same browser because of the resolution differences it changes the layout (removes the header graphic etc). Same on iPad and then using iPhone. I love how it adapts the layout and I think it looks very modern and clean.

I'm on Safari 8.0 (Yosemite beta) on Mac right now

Suggestions/requests I have are the following:

1. I wish it were more clear when a section has new items. If you for example click on General and then go into that section the new sections are bold, but on the forum page for all they are all bold whether or not new. Maybe the bold carried through to the main forum page or an icon to the left or something?

2. There is quite a bit of white (gray) space...maybe tighten up a bit? More noticeable on this smaller screen and iPad

3. I'd like a dark reading option. I liked the black with white text. Was easier to read at night (though I've turned brightness down so it's not bad)

Overall I say great job! I think it looks much more modern and clean. Thanks! 

And I'm sorry this was posted here. After I did I thought this should probably go in the What do you think of in the General section. I was going to move it, but it look like we can edit but not delete a post? Unless I'm just missing it. 

Edited by sinfuljock

When people say "it's hard to navigate", they do not have a specific call out. Things you have grown used to aren't where they used to be. When sites you visit regularly update, changes layouts and design, it is not always pleasing to the eyes, especially when the previous version was just fine. A lot of guys may not be a fan of the new site because they just aren't used to it yet and that is to be expected. I have been on many forums where the owner changes the design/layout and few things happen: people hate it (often), love it (not often), indifferent (mostly) and they make decisions based on their feelings. Some visit the site less, some stop coming, and some do not make any changes. People just need time to get used to it, the new features, and the placements. 

I would say look at the traffic. If it is down, perhaps it has to do with the new design. 

Eventually people will just get used to the new layout.

The website display is much better, and easier on the eyes. 

This is my third visit in the last 12 hours.   I'm getting more of the hang of the navigation.   It looks like most of what I use to browse is still there--just have to do a workaround sometimes.    Once I get more familiar, I doubt that I will have any problems.

Thanks for the all the work and thought that went into the redesign.   I'm sure you will get the inevitable bugs worked out over time.

• Upvote 1

I don't like it. It's interface isn't easy on the eyes and seems like its more suited for mobiles, to be honest. I had to refresh the page because I thought I may have entered the mobile version by mistake! It's too.....digitally civilized! I much preferred the previous version. 

I don't hate it but I don't love it either.  I haven't been on as much checking out what has been posted etc.  I just haven't had the chance to really look around and get familiar with it, that may take longer then expected, long story won't go into that here. 

But I'm sure as with all change in life, it takes time to adjust and get used to it.

I had a friend request the day of the conversion but wasn't able to accept as the site was down but it didn't convert at least I don't think it did, maybe it did but I didn't have to approve it at the time.  Hmm..  

I miss the old designations too, the Whore, Slut etc.  The dots aren't fun, but that's just my opinion, I used to be a Slut now I am 4 dots.

Edited by Bear4Breeding