"Lockdown ‘has broken the HIV chain’, says leading sexual health clinic"

56 Dean Street in London argues that HIV transmission rates in countries with effective treatment may be dealt a blow by lockdown.

Briefly put, most HIV transmissions occur in the period of a couple of months after HIV infection where someone has not developed antibodies to HIV while in fact being highly infectious. It is possible, especially if people get tested post-lockdown as quickly as possible, HIV infection rates might get permanently reduced. This is arguably especially the case now, with prophylactic treatments like PrEP and effective treatment regimens like TasP being widely available.

[think before following links] https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/05/01/hiv-chain-broken-transmission-lockdown-coronavirus-56-dean-street/

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

This will be interesting to follow. I can see how this may happen in the US, UK, France and other wealthy countries. How will this play out in poor countries. Let’s see where we are this time next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

One aspect they may not be thinking of, is with  so many out of work, perhaps some or many on meds will be unable to afford them . Either because they have lost their health coverage ( more so in the US than in countries where health care is supported by the government) or because a choice between food or meds  comes down to a lack of income, money on hand, and food wins out. In this scenario, how many men who have been undetectable go off meds for a month, two months, or longer, and begin having viral loads again while going out and playing like they were undetectable still?  So, lets say a neg bottom fuck bud has been playing  with someone who has been vigilant about taking his one a day HIV med, but then stops due to  the pandemic cutting off his low or no cost access to it. They still keep having raw sex, even as the poz top begins gaining viral load levels and becomes, perhaps unknowingly, a "gift giver" to the guy he has been nailing for the last 2 years ?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'll be willing to bet that once things begin opening up and moving again, this slow down in infections will rapidly speed up and get out of control very quickly !!

Like other medical conditions, people are likely not going in to be tested for fear of catching Covid-19. It is true however that sexual contacts are down with people not meeting up, with many meeting places closed down. When restrictions are lifted however there will be a good deal of horny men very eager to meet. When a vaccine for coronavirus is discovered and distributed, I believe there will be a definite return to old ways, particularly since people will believe that if they survived the coronavirus pandemic, HIV is a walk in the park (or in the Ramble)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the situation mentioned by the original poster will only happen if ALL the following happens:
1. almost everyone goes on PrEP post lockdown,
2. almost everyone gets tested right after lockdown AND every 3 months after AND
3. everyone responds accordingly with whatever treatment is needed.

Sadly we all know that ain't gonna happen because one trait deep inside all of us slut fuckers is a love of the anonymous unkown, both in partners, locale and status. I've regular shy'd away from tops who want to talk before fucking me - I don't want to know how much they love their grandma's strawberry jam, how much they like Panera Bread's grilled cheese sandwiches OR that he's neg on Prep or Poz or has this or had that...I took my own precautions and I own the results so just give me that cock. I just want it in my mouth, then in my ass while his buddy puts HIS dick in my mouth to get ready to be the second one dumping a load in me while I suck #3!

I'd love to see an "instant test" that prints an armband with the appropriate colors to indicate what you're positive for; at bathhouses, theaters and sex clubs you could choose to match wristbands, pass if you don't like what a guy is positive for or just ignore it - but in any case you'd know beforehand without ever uttering a word. 

s9c.jpg