How to react to post?

2 hours ago, RandomStranger said:

Your first statement is condescending, and your second makes no sense in this context. 

No more condescending than your declaration that this is "unnecessary". It's not your, or my, place to determine what the site owner thinks is necessary, especially on an issue that has been extensively discussed with him in multiple threads in this forum. New members have limited privileges, for a reason, and while the details of those privileges may change periodically, the overall concept isn't going away.

As for the second statement I made: I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. The site's owner has determined that it's a good thing - and very much intended - that relatively new members have limited ability to interact with the site except by posting, which is a substantive way of proving one's bona fides for membership. I can't imagine why you think that this is "unintended" or that deterring potentially malicious behavior is a bad thing.

• Administrators
On 12/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, RandomStranger said:

Still, it's an unnecessary annoyance.  And an unintended deterrent.

The analogy I like to use is you're in someone's house and you make a mess and the homeowner has to then clean up your mess. It's no big deal if it happens once in a while by mistake. But it is a significant problem if you just don't give a fuck and have an entitled attitude as if your mommy still follows you around cleaning up your messes. The 2nd case is just flat out rude to the volunteer moderators who keep this site running. This is why I clap back HARD when people get offended by infractions. From my point of view the fact that you're complaining rather than apologizing means you're an asshole who I don't want on the site.

Which then ties into the original question - prove to me that you understand what this site is about and its culture, THEN I'm interested in what you think is good or bad. Until then just watch and (politely) participate.

(And yes, some interactions do affect other people's standing on the site - so I limit who can interact with posts. If I had designed the system I'd let everyone rate things and then weight the ratings based on their status on the site. So a newbie's rating might not affect anything while a senior member's rating could strongly impact things. And I'd probably go as far as making it so a newbie who gives the opposite rating of most senior members gets penalized for their rating. But that's not how the software works. )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.