Closing gaysauna’s or cruisebars trend ?

Chuckynultien

It's definitely a global problem.

Australia's two biggest cities are a good example.

In Melbourne, in the last two years, we've lost Club 80, an epic cruise club. In the last ten or so years, we've also lost the Porter Street sauna and 10 Plus cruise club, along with a couple of short-lived others.

In Sydney, in the last five years or so, we've lost the Bodyline and Ken's saunas, and the Signal cruise club. Another major sauna, 357 Sydney City Steam, will close in the next year or two. It seems that Sydney - a gay friendly city of 5 million people - will soon have only one gay sauna.

To add to this, our gay bars really don't have Euro-style back rooms.

Bars and baths still going strong around here but yes, in places I travel baths have been closing over the years. Prices keep going up as well. I like to calculate my load per dollar when I leave ClubFTL. 😂

Apps have definitely made it easier to stay at home or quickly go visit somebody. 

Also didn't help that some of these places don't know what a power drill or a hammer look like and just let the place go to shit slowly. 

30 minutes ago, CumdumpDad said:

Also didn't help that some of these places don't know what a power drill or a hammer look like and just let the place go to shit slowly. 

So true! Sometimes I feel like volunteering to fix things up. Plus some shame us gayer than gay gays with terrible decor. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, barebackbro said:

Don't let my post discourage anyone from visiting Australia!

Australia has more than its fair share of hot, horny, kinky guys.

3 hours ago, hntnhole said:

Agreed.  And most of those are pretty enough to melt one's eyeballs .... just sayin .... 

Don't lose sight of the fact that Australian expats (like me) and travelers are everywhere. About 5% of the Australian population lives and works outside Australia.

You don't need to be in Australia to fuck Australians, there's almost certainly some hot, horny, kinky guys near you!  

• Upvote 2
  • Piggy 1

1 hour ago, blackrobe said:

Don't lose sight of the fact that Australian expats (like me) and travelers are everywhere. About 5% of the Australian population lives and works outside Australia.

You don't need to be in Australia to fuck Australians, there's almost certainly some hot, horny, kinky guys near you!  

I have been in Australia but didn’t manage to fuck one yet😟. I already meat a lot nationalities over here in Rdam or during vacations abroad. But most of the times in a bathhouse.  This is the reason I am concerned. I prefer to really meat Some one instead of app or chat

I feel the UK has always suffered. Decent saunas are only in larger cities with a gay quarter/area such as Manchester, Birmingham and London. 

All smaller cities really struggle for decent or any saunas or cruisebars 

Edited by UKFFBBBtm
Spelling

There have been several gay bars close here (which do not have backroom action), as well as adult theaters. So far the saunas and adult books stores have all remained open. I've long wondered how they managed to stay open here, since they don't see the kind of action that occurs in most cities.

Edited by NWUSHorny

19 hours ago, Chuckynultien said:

Is Rotterdam the only city losing his gaysauna’s and cruisebars or is it a global epidemic?

in 5 years we lost 2 sauna’ & 2 bars. 

Is this also happening in the rest of the world?

It has happened here in the Austin, Texas area.  We used to have a bathhouse (midtowne spa) and 5 adult bookstores with booths/theater.  The bathhouse closed a few years ago supposedly mostly due to the rent in the area it was in getting too crazy expensive.  That's been a general problem for a lot of businesses around here.  Austin population is booming and real estate prices have tripled or more in the past 10-15 years.  Two of the bookstores were closed because supposedly the owner got in trouble with the IRS for tax issues, although there were also allegations about some video they were selling that was banned for some reason.  I don't know the whole story about that.  One of the other ones closed not that long ago.  From what I hear it wasn't doing all that well before Covid, and after Covid, it and another one which were owned by the same person cut way back on their hours (from 24 hrs to only 11a-2a).  So now we only have two bookstores and that's it.  Well, there are a bunch of other book/video/toy/lingere stores, but none of them have booths, or at least not booths they permit more than one person in.

I really wish I had any money at all.  I think there's a great opportunity for a bookstore/spa/bathhouse here if it was in a good location and run properly.  A lot of people say that the online sites have killed cruise spots, but so many people can't host that those places are a good alternative and safer and better as far as weather, bugs, etc., than park bathrooms and places like that.  But I could be wrong I suppose.  Maybe these places are doomed in the long run.

1 hour ago, UKFFBBBtm said:

I feel the UK has always suffered. Decent saunas are only in larger cities with a gay quarter/area such as Manchester, Birmingham and London. 

All smaller cities really struggle for decent or any saunas or cruisebars 

Birmingham doesn't have a gay sauna anymore. I couldn't believe it when the last of the Chariots saunas closed in London. Considering the size of London, I think in Brighton we're incredibly lucky to have what we do. Sadly there aren't any cruise clubs anymore though. Schwarz used to be great, even if it was small.

1 hour ago, austin_submale said:

That's been a general problem for a lot of businesses around here.

That could be a function of inner-city gentrification, too.  What used to be somewhat run-down neighborhoods - perfect locations for haunts we rawguys like to prowl in, suddenly become far more valuable when gentrified.  It's happening here in Ft. L, for sure.  But, if the Fed misses the mark in staving off recession, the real estate values will start falling in an eyeblink.  Around here, anyway, people have been paying huge amounts for poorly-maintained properties in compromised neighborhoods.  That bubble is beginning to collapse, because the buyers (often younger folks who haven't experienced a substantial economic downturn) and are in hock up to their eyeballs, assuming that they knew everything there was to know.   Hopefully that will take care of the march towards gentrification for at least a few years.