Getting tested for STI

Just curious what usually is the incubation period for STI before you can test positive for them. I was at a sex party this past Saturday and had quite a few guys try my hole. I was just curious if its to soon. As of this typing it would be 2.5 days since my last encounter with a lot of men.

Unless you get symptoms, I wouldn’t bother going to get tested for at least a couple of weeks.  That’s often how long it takes for chlamydia and gonno to show up in a test, and they’re the first ones out the gate. HIV and syphilis takes weeks, even months, to show- Hep C even longer.

It always perplexes me when I hear someone say something like, “I had a really filthy weekend in Berlin. First thing I did when I got back was get myself checked out at the clinic.” Pointless! Or even worse, it gives a false sense of security.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Unless you get symptoms, I wouldn’t bother going to get tested for at least a couple of weeks.  That’s often how long it takes for chlamydia and gonno to show up in a test, and they’re the first ones out the gate. HIV and syphilis takes weeks, even months, to show- Hep C even longer.

It always perplexes me when I hear someone say something like, “I had a really filthy weekend in Berlin. First thing I did when I got back was get myself checked out at the clinic.” Pointless! Or even worse, it gives a false sense of security.

I agree!!

It should be noted that some men can be asymptomatic after being infected with an sti. While in the short term you might not suffer any discomfort you can still suffer long term consequences. 
     The specifics for length of time for detection vs. symptoms vary so how long to wait for before testing is a bit of crap shoot. 
     The fact is if you are a cumdump taking multiple loads on a regular basis you should be tested regularly regardless if you are symptomatic or not. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RealCute said:

This is a good diagram..IMG_20220119_180450_041.thumb.jpg.3256ef17867ce3f83fa2213dd6b2864e.jpg

This is really interesting, thanks.

This chart does show something different though - it's when symptoms show (and remember often stds are symptomless for a long time).

The poster is asking for when stds are detectable with tests.

My local sexual health clinic suggests a 10-14 window if that helps

1 hour ago, Treehugger said:

It should be noted that some men can be asymptomatic after being infected with an sti. While in the short term you might not suffer any discomfort you can still suffer long term consequences. 
     The specifics for length of time for detection vs. symptoms vary so how long to wait for before testing is a bit of crap shoot. 
     The fact is if you are a cumdump taking multiple loads on a regular basis you should be tested regularly regardless if you are symptomatic or not. 

Yep a routine three monthly check is a good idea  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

This is really not true for PCR testing of Chlamydia and gonorrhea. These two will turn PCR + very early on in the samples if there's infection. I've seen/experienced as early as 2-3 days. At the week mark you are guaranteed a PCR + if infected. You are sampling the bug directly. it's not like it's hiding anywhere and PCR is very sensitive. 

Very true for all sorts of other testing:

HIV 4th gen ab+antigen= starting at 2 weeks

HIV PCR= starting at 1 week 

Syphilis RPR/VDRL ~month

Gono/chlam ab testing/culture test = useless.

But yeah, if you are gonna test them all in one go and there are no symptoms better wait at least a month. 

Thanks, RealCute, for posting that diagram; lots of guys will benefit from seeing it.  This is why I get tested monthly, rather than every 6 months.  Better to catch bugs at the earliest possible time, get them treated, and keep doing what I need to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

This is really not true for PCR testing of Chlamydia and gonorrhea. These two will turn PCR + very early on in the samples if there's infection. I've seen/experienced as early as 2-3 days. At the week mark you are guaranteed a PCR + if infected. You are sampling the bug directly. it's not like it's hiding anywhere and PCR is very sensitive. 

Very true for all sorts of other testing:

HIV 4th gen ab+antigen= starting at 2 weeks

HIV PCR= starting at 1 week 

Syphilis RPR/VDRL ~month

Gono/chlam ab testing/culture test = useless.

But yeah, if you are gonna test them all in one go and there are no symptoms better wait at least a month. 

Hi @rawfuckr

If I go for my usual 3-monthly check-up and do an anal swab, what sort of testing is generally involved (UK-based here)? PCR or some other type?

4 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Hi @rawfuckr

If I go for my usual 3-monthly check-up and do an anal swab, what sort of testing is generally involved (UK-based here)? PCR or some other type?

I'm pretty sure the UK is doing PCR (gono & Chlamydia) for anal, mouth and dick samples. But better just to ask.

You are behind swabbed in mouth,ass and dick? Dick can be done with "first catch urine" too. Slightly less sensitive sample but so so much comfortable for the patient. 

• Thanks 1