HIV infection odds for a cut total top after one single potential exposure?

tonio

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tonio said:

It's just that I humbly think that cut total tops can rely on lubricated condoms instead of using PrEP. This way, they'll be protected against HIV but also against syphilis.

Yes, indeed they can (although syphilis can, of course, be transmitted in spite of them by oral sex or kissing).

But then they would have to wear condoms, which significantly impair the enjoyability of sex for both partners and can cause performance issues for the top. A lot of people (and certainly the great majority of BZ members) consider those reasons sufficient to choose a different option.

• Upvote 2

On 12/28/2022 at 3:05 PM, tonio said:

Simply because I did not carry condoms. Now I know that some sex workers don't always have condoms, and as a result I always carry at least 4/5 condoms plus a bottle of lube in my pocket. That bad experience made me become a real condom nazi. So no... I'll always use lubricated condoms from now on. 

I get ya, but my point stands. Its like smoking, you start smoking and theres a good chance you'll try again, after all, you are in a forum where part of the fantasy is to get hiv+, make sure to keep it just a fantasy unless you really want it. Anyway, good luck and make sure to use protection. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like if you don't use condoms + lube, the only safer way to have bareback sex is to:

- Get the hepatitis A/B vaccines

- Get the HPV vaccine

- Get the monkeypox vacine

- Get the Meningitis B vaccine (40% cross-protection for gonorrhea)

- Get at least HSV-1 AND be circumcised (about 40% cross-protection for HSV-2)

Only then, you can get safely on Prep and will be fine (other STDs are curable).

Edited by tonio

On 1/17/2023 at 3:00 PM, tonio said:

I feel like if you don't use condoms + lube, the only safer way to have bareback sex is to:

- Get the hepatitis A/B vaccines

- Get the HPV vaccine

- Get the monkeypox vacine

- Get the Meningitis B vaccine (40% cross-protection for gonorrhea)

- Get at least HSV-1 AND be circumcised (about 40% cross-protection for HSV-2)

Only then, you can get safely on Prep and will be fine (other STDs are curable).

This is generally true, except the part about the herpes vaccine (HSV). While the HSV shots show *some* protection against infection, they do not offer complete protection, and once contracted, herpes is *not* a curable STI.

See, for instance, [think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/treatment.htm

That's not to discourage this course of action, but as you note, it's a "safer" way to have bareback sex, not a "guaranteed safe" way.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:28 PM, BootmanLA said:

This is generally true, except the part about the herpes vaccine (HSV). While the HSV shots show *some* protection against infection, they do not offer complete protection, and once contracted, herpes is *not* a curable STI.

See, for instance, [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/treatment.htm

That's not to discourage this course of action, but as you note, it's a "safer" way to have bareback sex, not a "guaranteed safe" way.

I was talking about the HSV-1 disease, not HSV shots.

Once you get HSV-1, you get partial protection from HSV-2. Circumcision also helps reducing the odds of contracting HSV-2. But as you mentioned, it does not eliminate the risk of catching HSV-2, it only reduces it.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:36 AM, Ben said:

I’m a total top and don’t want to get infected, but I think my risk tolerance is relatively high. I never wear a condom and don’t plan to.

Your risk is pretty high if uncircumcised. If you really want NOT to get infected, at the very least, get circumcised, and for more safety, if you don't want to use condoms and lube even if circumcised, get on PrEP. 

Edited by tonio