Where to retire?

Just don't decide on Florida.  I have lived here long enough to know that it's not the state is was even ten years ago.  Home owners insurance (if you can get it) has skyrocketed.  If you are an American and want to stay in the states, why not consider the Buford, South Carolina area?  Mild winters, beautiful beaches, resort style living.

Sure, you'll have some cold nights in the summer, and there is a strong Republican presence in the state and local government.  However, if you check out the physical beauty and small town charm that area of South Carolina might be to your liking.

No, your choice of Doublelist playmates might not be up to the standards of some other areas, but there will be enough, more subdued gay life to enjoy.  I may make a change if things continue to decline in the Sunshine state as they say....

between climate change, political conservatism and income inequality we're all screwed. 

sunday i was walking down the street in ptown (my current fantasy retirement home) and overheard the following conversation between 4 white 60ish gay men:

guy 1: what did u think?

guy2: it was a basement!

guy 3: it was $1.1M! 

guy 4: so... $1M to live in a basement. 

they then all just walked on in stunned silence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellentonboy said:

Buford, South Carolina area

I haven't heard guys talking about Buford, SC, but thanks for mentioning it.  

Interestingly, Asheville North Carolina is being talked about by guys here in Ft. L. that know the writing is on the wall, weather-wise.  One gay guy on the next block moved up there, and I know secondhand of several others (friends of friends) that have moved there recently. 

I just don't want to start all over again somewhere else, but who knows what Mother Earth is going to do - after all the rapacious behavior we've visited upon her? 

11 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

I just don't want to start all over again somewhere else, but who knows what Mother Earth is going to do - after all the rapacious behavior we've visited upon her? 

i've got the opposite problem. predictors suggest i best stay where i am but i yearn so for a change! 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 6:59 PM, topblkmale said:

Somewhere outside of the USA where there is less political nonsense, where men are still manly as well as masculine and the cost of living is cheaper. 👍🌎

Next year...Umbria, in Italy.  Already have an agent looking for a villa for me!!  GREAT TOPIC!!

2 hours ago, hntnhole said:

I haven't heard guys talking about Buford, SC, but thanks for mentioning it.  

Interestingly, Asheville North Carolina is being talked about by guys here in Ft. L. that know the writing is on the wall, weather-wise.  One gay guy on the next block moved up there, and I know secondhand of several others (friends of friends) that have moved there recently. 

I have visited Asheville as well.  It has a fair amount of openly gay men living there, I haven't heard any rumblings of them experiencing anti-gay rhetoric from the four I know who have moved there.  From what I understand, it's been an accepting place for gays for a number of years.  Will that change, I am not sure.  I got a "hippy" feeling from my stay, no one really staring or noticing four or six gay men having dinner together.  Everything seemed fine.

My time in Buford was very nice.  There is the beach area, as well as a downtown area that is very nice as well.  Much pricier than Asheville, but you have to factor in it's proximity to the ocean.   One interesting note, I had made one inquiry into maybe renting a place for a year, rent not buy.  Since that time,  I have received multiple texts, voicemails and emails from Realtors trying to sell me $650,000 homes.  Not happening with me, lol, but it's quickly growing.  I just hope "word" doesn't  spread to the point it is overrun with wealthy people who buy up everything and ruin the place.

I understand what you are saying about starting over somewhere new, I am looking maybe five years from now.  However, it's been nice to have other locations to consider.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, NWUSHorny said:

I'm still trying to figure this out myself, since I'm at a point in life where relocation makes sense, have a job that allows me to live anywhere in the US, and am 10ish years from retirement. There are many trade offs to be considered, but after living 16 years in a rain forest that is also a casual sex desert, the availability of willing hookup partners is very important.

Agreed, we all need more play buds

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

I have received multiple texts, voicemails and emails from Realtors trying to sell me $650,000 homes.

That's been the case around here for at least a year.  I don't receive mail every day, but on the days I do there are always "come-on's" offering me that much and more.  This without any inspections of anything other than a photo taken from the street.  And believe me, this is not a swell neighborhood.  Every time I get one of those phone calls, I "block" the number, but they keep calling from other numbers.  They even stop and take pictures of my house, paste it on a postcard, and send me a postcard with my house pictured.  

The realtors are like crocodiles around here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I know this probably goes without saying, but there's a slew of other factors to consider for retirement housing, and for gay men they're sometimes not the same as for straight people.

For instance: some gay men have children from a previous straight marriage (and some adopt or go through surrogacy), but the vast majority of us don't have kids, and we're not having to think about leaving the next generation "set up" for the future. So an area where housing prices are rising faster than average, or faster than inflation, isn't as big a deal if you're not worried about your kids getting to split the profits from expensive real estate.

For another: geography and climate, and I don't just mean climate change. Some people want to be near the beach or ocean, and some people can't stand the sand for more than a day or so. Some of us love mountain vistas, while others want the flatlands and anything more than a slight rise is too much. Some of us can't stand the heat, and some of us can't stand snow and ice. And whatever our preferences are now, those may change by the time we're, say, 75 or more. 

That's not to downplay factors like politics for the region or the number of potential sex partners. But those aren't the be-all, end-all, do-all of retirement life, either.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, hntnhole said:

That's been the case around here for at least a year.  I don't receive mail every day, but on the days I do there are always "come-on's" offering me that much and more.  This without any inspections of anything other than a photo taken from the street.  And believe me, this is not a swell neighborhood.  Every time I get one of those phone calls, I "block" the number, but they keep calling from other numbers.  They even stop and take pictures of my house, paste it on a postcard, and send me a postcard with my house pictured.  

The realtors are like crocodiles around here. 

This brings back nightmares from 10 years ago, when my partner died unexpectedsl. The loss left me so shocked that I was unprepared when real estate agents who learned of his death (from a notice in the newspaper) began calling to offer "condolences" and to ask if I was looking to sell our home. I listend politely and said no to the first one or two calls before realizing how appalling these opportunists were and just hanging up. That didn't stop their texts (and even snail mail), which I reported as spam and blocked.

I eventually did sell the house a few years later, but the experience really soured me on real estate agents. It's another reason I hope my move in retirement will be my last.

21 minutes ago, Bator916 said:

This brings back nightmares from 10 years ago, when my partner died unexpectedsl. The loss left me so shocked that I was unprepared when real estate agents who learned of his death (from a notice in the newspaper) began calling to offer "condolences" and to ask if I was looking to sell our home. I listend politely and said no to the first one or two calls before realizing how appalling these opportunists were and just hanging up. That didn't stop their texts (and even snail mail), which I reported as spam and blocked.

I eventually did sell the house a few years later, but the experience really soured me on real estate agents. It's another reason I hope my move in retirement will be my last.

That is really horrible, I’m so sorry that happened to you and I can’t quite believe it- over here estate agents aren’t held in a particularly good light but I’ve never heard of anything like that

On 10/10/2023 at 10:12 AM, ellentonboy said:

Just don't decide on Florida.  I have lived here long enough to know that it's not the state is was even ten years ago.  Home owners insurance (if you can get it) has skyrocketed.  

I’m among those who transplanted here a bit over 4 years ago. When I bought, I had my eyes on Punta Gorda since I have relatives in the area, and looked at homes on the canals. But something told me that ultimately wouldn’t end well, and that proved out with Hurricane Ian. I’m happy with where I landed which came through Ian unscathed and is in a good area near everything that isn’t on the East Coast (the night life on the Gulf Coast is fairly tame).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SomewhereonNeptune said:

You mean alligators, don’t you?

I bow to your precision:  I know there's a difference between the two, but I don't know what it might be.  Allow me to rephrase:

Realtors around here are like alligators !!! 

(and yes, I'm a transplant from the northern flatlands, and I'm pretty decent behind the wheel too)

Edited by hntnhole
local flavor
  • Like 1