Where to retire?

On 1/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, BootmanLA said:

All true, though I'd note that Palm Springs may also develop water troubles eventually, as some of their groundwater comes from the Colorado River, which also supplies much of Arizona's water (and California's, and other states'). 

Wait - PS uses so much water they get some from the Colorado River?  PS sits on top of the world's largest aquifer .... stop watering everything endlessly, all day and return 1/3 of the land to maintained desert landscape.  

Edited by fuckholedc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, topblkmale said:

El Salvador is so beautiful. The cities in central and southern Mexico have a nice mix of culture, climate and affordability. Right now my top choice for retirement is somewhere between Oaxaca, CDMX or PVR.

But most Anglo North Americans have no concept of these areas outside of mainstream media.

I've stopped trying to convince my gay friends here in the NYC area to visit Mexico City as its AWESOME! Even the ones who are fluent spanish speakers won't visit. 

But yes, the community there is WAY more active and hot!

I'd be considering all of these places, but I don't speak Spanish. It feels disrespectful to go and live in a place where you don't speak the language passably well. At the same time, there's a lot to like about places like Ecuador and parts of Mexico. Indigenous and transplanted cultures add to the interest there with First Peoples and Afro-Mexicans. Oaxaca seems very interesting at first glance. It makes me wonder how they'd cope with a fair skinned Australian living amongst them. I'm interested in all kinds of men from all cultures, but wonder if I'd be an outlier and not their cup of tea.

I don't want to hijack this conversation (which is a great), but I'd be interested in chatting with guys  here - via DM i- who have retired or live in Texas. I mentioned in a previous post that I'm from Dallas and, since losing my partner 10 years ago, I may return there eventually to be close to family. (I'm the only one who was fortunate to leave after college for a wonderful career and life in California.)

Aside from rabid red politicians, I'm curioius about coping with everyday issues related to weather, extreme heat, nonstop construction and traffic congestion, boring landscapes (except the Hill Country and Big Bend) and other drawbacks of living in Texas.  (The summer heat is a big concern for me, because I'm a regular runner, hiker and cyclist.) What are some good reasons to move and retire there? (I know about the lack of state income tax, but I checked out a few new homes in DFW and learned I'd pay more in property taxes there than I do in California.) Thanks, guys.

51 minutes ago, blackrobe said:

I'd be considering all of these places, but I don't speak Spanish. It feels disrespectful to go and live in a place where you don't speak the language passably well. At the same time, there's a lot to like about places like Ecuador and parts of Mexico. Indigenous and transplanted cultures add to the interest there with First Peoples and Afro-Mexicans. Oaxaca seems very interesting at first glance. It makes me wonder how they'd cope with a fair skinned Australian living amongst them. I'm interested in all kinds of men from all cultures, but wonder if I'd be an outlier and not their cup of tea.

Oaxaca is amazing and the men are beautiful. There is not much issue with skin color there unless you make it. I'm very dark-skinned black American as you can see. Zero issues. But yes, not speaking Spanish will be a slight issue.

i started over in 2008 after divorcing... former wife got a everything, a sizable fortune. Was either that or pay alimony till i died. That to say, i cannot picture ever being able to retire. i'm doing well, changed careers and became a critical care nurse 10 years ago, so i can pretty much live anywhere... though another country might be a challenge? Especially with the language barrier? Maybe a place where there's lots of expats and they need an English speaker? 

i looked seriously at Palm Springs, toured the hospitals where i'd work, then the pandemic hit. i vacation in PS a couple of times a year. It's about 40% gay from what i have read. It's also close proximity to San Diego and LA.  Summers are very hot, not for everyone, it is a desert. Winter is short, the mountains around PS have snow in the winter. I've been there in the spring and enjoyed weather in the 80's with snow on the surrounding mountains.  Lots of gay resorts, and hook up sex is readily available and easy. It's the only place i've ever been where a guy will hit on me right on the street lol. 

Expense wise? Real estate would be a lateral move for me, but everything else in CA is more expensive than most places (cept maybe big cities like NYC, Ontario, Vancouver).  Everything cost more, food, gas, taxes.  

Having lived in a small town for the last 10 years, it can be frustrating not having a large gay community for friends and sex, so culture is a consideration as well as sex. PS has all of that and more, especially with its proximity to SD, LA and Mexico. It still tempts me.

• Like 1

@Bator916

the reasons we chose to leave Texas, in no particular order:

the asshole politics

the gun culture

ERCOT and the threat of losing power year round

the property taxes in Houston were skyrocketing

the city is now so crowded it is hard to get anywhere

hurricane threats and flooding every year

21 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

culture is a consideration

Do you mean the cultural arts?  Galleries, symphony, theatre, etc.? 

About the only thing I really miss about Chicago is the richness of the above there, vs the relative absence of those attributes here in Ft. Lauderdale.  There is a symphony orchestra down in Miami that appears in the local Arts complex downtown, and at least the conductor avoids the larger works they couldn't pull off.  It's at least something .... but what tries to pass for "theatre" is deplorable.  

The weather is great, it does get hot/humid in the summer, but at least you don't have to shovel it, and your car won't get stuck in it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm still trying to figure this out myself, since I'm at a point in life where relocation makes sense, have a job that allows me to live anywhere in the US, and am 10ish years from retirement. There are many trade offs to be considered, but after living 16 years in a rain forest that is also a casual sex desert, the availability of willing hookup partners is very important.

20 hours ago, hntnhole said:

Do you mean the cultural arts?  Galleries, symphony, theatre, etc.? 

Both really. All those things but also some form of established gay community/culture.  The last place i had that was in Louisville KY.  Louisville was a surprise for me. i had season tickets each year to Actors Theater, the restaurants there are often on the food channel, and i had gay friends to socialize with. I'd go out usually once a week just with friends who were also gay.  That's easier to come by in a larger city with a larger gay population.  It's hard to take a walk in Palm Springs without tripping over a gay person lol. That's pretty true in Ft Lauderdale too from my limited experience. 

• Like 1