PrEp allergy

Mcv69

Hey guys has anyone ever had a reaction or allergy to PrEp? My friend has started taking the last few days and has been getting a tingling face, aching headache and itchy eyes etc? Curious to hear if anyone has had Similar experience. Thanks 

Studies show about one out of five men, or 20 percent, have side effects when they start taking Truvada as PrEP.  The side effects go away in a few weeks.  When I started taking it, I had headaches, fatigue, and nausea for three to five hours after swallowing the pill.  I have ridden through this rough patch and take it daily with no issues.  Some men break the pill into pieces and take just a piece until their body is sensitized and work themselves up to a full pill.  Someone must take the entire pill to be protected.  If your friend powers through, the discomfort will be well worth the benefit. 

I had a pretty severe reaction to PrEP when I first got on it. However, after I switched to Descovy for PrEP I no longer have had any issues for years. 

My reaction was different from what you describe, I had a skin rash that broke out all over my body, it was pretty intense and frightening at the time.

I have had (ongoing) issues with PrEP, the main issue being elevated liver enzymes. I didn't know this all the time -- a blood test revealed it -- but the last few times it happened, I felt sick to my stomach sometimes. I'm supposed to switch over to Descovy once this latest lot settles down.

Best for your friend to talk it through with his doctor or health professional about it.

No allergy but symphtoms similar to gastroenteritis whenever I restarted the double dose after stopping it. I pretty much gave up on on-demand PrEP and take it daily, even if it means taking it one week in advance to the actual sex.

• 1 month later...

Has your friend's issues settled down? Weird headaches are a common side effect when starting but usually dies down, according to the literature. Mine took a couple of months to diminish. I also had weird bad dreams for weeks. And tingling but I think that was in my fingers. The headaches were so intense initially that it put me off the idea of event-based dosing, which was my original plan. The sexual health clinic doctors indicated the side effects might reapply each time I restarted. So I've stuck to daily for over six years. No side effects at all after the first few months.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:09 PM, Mcv69 said:

Hey guys has anyone ever had a reaction or allergy to PrEp? My friend has started taking the last few days and has been getting a tingling face, aching headache and itchy eyes etc? Curious to hear if anyone has had Similar experience. Thanks 

Not an allergy but a side effect.  Talk to doc; there are options.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:48 PM, ThisBoyBottoms said:

I have had (ongoing) issues with PrEP, the main issue being elevated liver enzymes. I didn't know this all the time -- a blood test revealed it -- but the last few times it happened, I felt sick to my stomach sometimes. I'm supposed to switch over to Descovy once this latest lot settles down.

Best for your friend to talk it through with his doctor or health professional about it.

My liver enzymes spiked just before I left for the last BioHazardMens Party in Berlin.  My doctor actually said that my liver enzymes had gone up "slightly" (no they hadn't, they had gone off the charts).  I had no obvious reaction to this issue (never felt ill, etc.).  I specifically asked why I couldn't just switch to Descovy and he said the liver issue can occur with Descovy as well.

My general issue with doctors are that they often hide the truth from their patients or oversimplify the issues.  European doctors tend to do this less in my experience *BUT* I've also had many fewer interactions with European doctors than with American doctors.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:53 AM, fuckholedc said:

My liver enzymes spiked just before I left for the last BioHazardMens Party in Berlin.  My doctor actually said that my liver enzymes had gone up "slightly" (no they hadn't, they had gone off the charts).  I had no obvious reaction to this issue (never felt ill, etc.).  I specifically asked why I couldn't just switch to Descovy and he said the liver issue can occur with Descovy as well.

My general issue with doctors are that they often hide the truth from their patients or oversimplify the issues.  European doctors tend to do this less in my experience *BUT* I've also had many fewer interactions with European doctors than with American doctors.

My liver enzymes went through the roof, too, so my doctor stopped prescribing it. I really don't want to get HIV, but condoms are honestly a turnoff.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 6:14 PM, Guest said:

No allergy but symphtoms similar to gastroenteritis whenever I restarted the double dose after stopping it. I pretty much gave up on on-demand PrEP and take it daily, even if it means taking it one week in advance to the actual sex.

omg thats ME exactly... last friday i restarted taking prep with 2 dosages and then i vomitted the whole night... like 12 times in a row... horrible