How many of you go to the gym?

Sharp-edge

My bf and I workout 5x/week. We workout 3 days together and 2 days on our own. We both do it because at our age, I am 40 and he’s in his 50s, fitness is more critical than ever. I got into gym life in my late 20s after testing poz. My status got me into fitness and   Healthy living . My bf was already into gym life when we met. If I can say so myself, at our age we are in very good shape. I personally enjoy it not just because I like to work out but also because I like the quality time together. We not only workout but we get to talk to each other about whatever and just catch up on what’s going on. I truly enjoy the time and just being able to talk. 

I will say as gay men there’s social pressure to be in shape and I’m sure that’s part of reason why we both workout. We are both bottoms and for me I know it gives me advantage as I am aware some tops are interested because I have a fit body. My bf is 50 and while he looks great for his age, I am sure being fit makes his age less of an issue for younger guys. I hate that it’s this way but I am pretty sure being fit also works in our favor to attract tops, esp at play parties and bath houses 

Long time gym rat here. Love to show off (both in and out of my gym shorts) while I lift and have had sex at least one time in nearly every gym I've ever been in. That said, my answer to this question is far more philosophical than sexual.

I don't find gym attendance is a man's or woman's, or gay versus, straight thing, but rather a way-of-life thing. Aside from the looking good aspect gym life brings, you also feel better and have much better overall health, not just physically, but mentally too. Yes, gay guys tend to have a bigger emphasis on looking good that their straight peers, but over the last 20-30 years the gay male in-shape look has influenced straight guys on that score. For instance, see GI Joe dolls from 1960 to now--he's waaaaayyy more built now than the Ken doll in fatigues he started out as.

I grew up a swimmer from very young and transitioned into weight lifting in college and then on to body building (and competed a number of times). For me, the gym life is a form a worship. In fact, both Satannism and Christianity regard the body as a temple. Temples by definition are places to be treated with reverence and taken care of because they are sacred.  When people ask me where I go to church, they are bewildered when I give them the name of my current gym. But, that is the place I go to care for my male temple and worship my male form. (the bathhouse/sex club/sex resort is where I take my temple to celebrate my male being and connect with other males on that plane). For me, going to the gym is a part of taking care of myself s that I may enjoy this male body I've been blessed to have to its fullest.

Does it pay off? Absolutely, While the Bible Belt is mired in massive amounts of obesity*, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and so on, those of us living here who are active and/or gym goers. We eat decent food (rather than fast food crap all the time) and enjoy far better health and longevity. I got to meet Lou Ferrigno a few years ago. Even in his 70's, Lou is in great shape and great health. (While I did tell him that as a boy, he was what inspired me to get into weight lifting, I didn't tell him that his Hulk was also how I knew I was into guys.) 

*Obesity is misunderstood, at least in the USA and the idea is put forward that if you have any amount of fat on your body you are a bad person and unhealthy. This, as Jeff O'Connell notes in the book "Sugar Nation" (buy it! read it!), is false. Football linemen and power lifters have guts and they are in amazing shape (especially the linemen given how much running they have to do). But, there is a line. Just as you can be skinny to a point it's unhealthy (just ask Karen Carpenter or a line of bulimic struggling super models), you can also be too fat to a point it's unhealthy, especially if you are eating nutritionally vacuous food regularly and not doing any physical activity. That is to say, "fitness" and "no body fat" are not the synonyms they are marketed to be in the USA; you can be fit and, to a degree, fat, at the same time. In the SE USA (the Bible Belt) you encounter the unhealthy variety and all the negative health effects too much fat, poor nutrition and no physical activity has, just you have negative health effects from being too skinny, like malnutrition from vitamin deficiencies. 

• Like 1

I go to the gym most every day and mix up my workout routine. Its mostly guys but you do get a few women for the treadmills and different classes there. I do think gay/bi/curious guys tend to go more often as I see a lot of the same faces pretty regularly. The gym I go to has a reputation for being cruisy and there's a lot of hooking up that goes on in the showers, guys jerking in the sauna to see if you're interested. It's pretty easy to pick up a guy or get picked up there.

I used to go to LA Fitness as I am grandfathered in at a ridiculous rate, I have been making yearly donations since Covid hit. When the gyms were shut down I built up my basement gym.

Over the years, I have everything I need.

Best part is not having to share equipment of wipe down someone's skanky sweat.

I have been going for years. I go 2-3 times a week. I live in a predominately straight area so I don't think there are too many gay men around, at least not ones that advertise. Probably 15% are women. I had a personal trainer for a little while but it didn't make much difference, and maybe I'm a hard gainer due to my genetics and being tall. 

Like others here have said, my main motivation is to make myself (hopefully LOL) more fuckable. I'm generally only into fit muscular men and my assumption is they generally only want to play with other similar men, so I've got to make an effort to look the part myself. So its the social pressure thing, even though I am not into the gay scene.

But just as important, it is also for my health and fitness as I work in a sedentary job.  Especially since predominately working from home, I don' move around as much as I would like and don't do any other exercise apart from walking. I don't want to end like some members of my family or extended family who either sadly died quite young or suffer ill health due to their poor life style choices. I don't drink or smoke of use drugs. 

• Like 1