What Does HIV Status "Don't Care" Really Mean?

rawTOP

• Administrators

On BBRT there's the HIV status "Don't Care". I'm never sure what that means... I'd understand "Don't Care" for "Your Status", but what does it mean as the person's status? That they're neg and don't care if they become poz? Or is it the status for the guys who just never get tested - but isn't "Not Sure" a more appropriate status for those guys? Or does it mean they're poz and ignoring it? Thing is, I get the sense that some long-time poz guys have it as their status. They might even be on meds. If they're on meds it would seem they're beyond "Don't Care" - they're actually addressing the situation.

I never know quite what to think when I see "Don't Care" - how do you guys interpret it?

I would take it to mean "not an issue", as in let's move on to other discussions - if we really need to talk about other things before we fuck. Could mean that they're neg and don't care if they convert, or they're poz but don't get into making a big deal about it. It could be a hookup version of don't ask don't tell (before that took on a military connotation), or even "yeah, my my mom's side of the family has a medical history of diabetes, what's it to you? let's fuck". It is what it is. Or even "none of your business".

I think it means "I am most probably positive, but I don't give a fuck and I am not going to get tested in the near future! I want to fuck you and if I poZ you...well I don't care!!!"

At least that's how I interpet it.

Back before I tested poz, I would have considered myself one of those "Don't Care" types. What it meant to me is that my partner's HIV status was irrelevant. I was interested in whether the guy (or guys) were hot. I was interested in having sex bareback. I didn't care about my partner's status.

I didn't care about my own status either. At that point I was only getting HIV tests if I was required to while I was in the Army. While those came up negative, I was aware that I was routinely engaging in risky activities. So it wouldn't have been fair to my partners to call myself negative. And I hadn't officially tested positive either. I suppose saying "don't know" would have been reasonable, but "don't care" not only described my status as far as I knew it, but also my approach as well.

FWIW, I personally believe that sex sites, especially those catering to barebackers, really should not have a "Negative" option available. It's possible to have HIV even if you tested negative yesterday (it can take months for the antibodies to show up). And, of course, many guys don't get tested as often as they should. And some guys will lie in order to get laid. So unless you're a virgin, the only honest options really are "Positive," "Undetectable," "Unsure," and (if you like) "Dont' Care." That would go a long ways towards ending the myth that only having sex with men who say they're negative is somehow an effective means of prevention.

I like "Don't care" because it's a bit slutty. For me it means I don't want to talk about status, completely opposite to "Ask Me", which is calling for a discussion on the issue.

I think that any sex site with HIV-Status the option "Negative" should be accompanied by the date of last test.

When I see the status "don't care" it means the guy does not care if his partner is poz or neg. He may be neg at last test but does not care if he gets pozzed. It could mean he is poz and does not care if his partner is poz or neg. On my BBRT profile for the other guy I say "No Preference" and for me "Ask Me".

I take it to mean they don't think about it. They could be poz, but it doesn't matter to them.

The "not sures" are more concerned (maybe they plan to get tested but haven't gotten around to it) and want to let potential partners know they're taking a greater risk than with a "negative".

On mine and for me, it means that despite testing regularly, i really don't care about my status... if i'm neg today, I may be poz tomorrow... but i dont care. It's not an important issue to me. I'm here to fuck, and be fucked, not to worry about my hiv status.

Sometimes i go long periods without testing, other times i'm dilligent about it... but i don't care about my status... i only test so that I know what it is generally, it wont change the sort of sex that i have nor the people I have it with.

• 1 year later...
I think it means "I am most probably positive, but I don't give a fuck and I am not going to get tested in the near future! I want to fuck you and if I poZ you...well I don't care!!!"

At least that's how I interpet it.

I agree with this

On the surface I see it as meaning that he does not care if you or he may positive or negative and will bareback regardless. I am positive and say so in my profile. I also see it with a broader meaning that he doesn't care what he has or can get. I really don't want anything else that I will have to deal with like Herpes, Syphilis or Hepatitis. I always assume that he is positive at the very least.