Chat Missing

Hi Rawtop, New member here.  I have been visiting the site for a few years now and decided to join.  I am trying to use the chat function but I keep getting the following message;

PDOStatement: Duplicate entry 'bbsyd2765' for key 'name_UNIQUE'

Sorry you encountered an error. Details about this error have been written to our logs and will be reviewed to make sure it doesn't happen to other users.

I changed my user name shortly after joining and  I am using an in private browser,. Not sure if that is the reason.

On 2/29/2024 at 5:39 PM, bbsyd2765 said:

I am geting the following message: 

PDOStatement: Duplicate entry 'bbsyd2765' for key 'name_UNIQUE'

Sorry you encountered an error. Details about this error have been written to our logs and will be reviewed to make sure it doesn't happen to other users.

I changed my user name shortly after joining and  I am using an in private browser,. Not sure if that is the reason.

It's not the reason. I'd suggest you read back through the last several pages of posts in this topic - the issues with "Chat" are well-known and not really within the scope of the site's owner to fix (it's a third-party module that no longer really integrates well with this forum software (which is also third-party software). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and until the site gets rewritten from the ground up, I don't think it's going to work on a consistent basis.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotten some chat messages but can't see them. I get an error every time I try checking: 

PDOStatement: Duplicate entry 'ObjectPersona' for key 'name_UNIQUE'

I did send a message to an admin about this but then realized that I wouldn't hear back since the response would be through the chat which doesn't work. Is this something that can be fixed? Thank you!

37 minutes ago, ObjectPersona said:

I've gotten some chat messages but can't see them. I get an error every time I try checking: 

PDOStatement: Duplicate entry 'ObjectPersona' for key 'name_UNIQUE'

I did send a message to an admin about this but then realized that I wouldn't hear back since the response would be through the chat which doesn't work. Is this something that can be fixed? Thank you!

1. If you look in this forum, you'll find a very lengthy thread on problems with the third-party chat system. Short summary: The chat software was an "add on" to the software that underlies this entire site of forums, and has never been integrated very well (the two systems need to share information and they don't do that well). That's unlikely to be fixed as the longer-term plan is to migrate this forum onto different software, which WILL have an integrated, built-in chat system.

2. Messages to the admins are NOT responded to by "chat", but by reply messages.

1 minute ago, BootmanLA said:

1. If you look in this forum, you'll find a very lengthy thread on problems with the third-party chat system. Short summary: The chat software was an "add on" to the software that underlies this entire site of forums, and has never been integrated very well (the two systems need to share information and they don't do that well). That's unlikely to be fixed as the longer-term plan is to migrate this forum onto different software, which WILL have an integrated, built-in chat system.

2. Messages to the admins are NOT responded to by "chat", but by reply messages.

Ok, thank you. I assumed it probably all worked by now (in most cases) since I keep seeing numbers other than zero appear for chat and my guess was that people were sending me things that I just couldn't see.

6 minutes ago, ObjectPersona said:

Ok, thank you. I assumed it probably all worked by now (in most cases) since I keep seeing numbers other than zero appear for chat and my guess was that people were sending me things that I just couldn't see.

Nah - the "chat" is like a chat room (if you remember those from AOL or IRC or other sites), where the conversation is "live" and you only see what's been said in the room while you're present. If you leave and return, like in real life, there's no "catching up" on what you missed, and nobody's likely to address you there when you're not present.

In other words, it's not like instant messages or text messaging or anything like that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.