Server migration today! Post problems here.

rawTOP

• Administrators

Breeding Zone is moving from a server in Miami to a much faster, more energy efficient server outside of Detroit. The migration will start sometime between 2-3 Eastern. I'll probably put up a error/warning page so you don't post/upload during the migration.

AFTER the migration is over post any new problems that may be caused by the migration to this thread. Do not post long-standing issues, or post problems before the migration.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

It looks like the server migration will happen today after all (any moment now). You'll get a Error 503 message during the migration to make sure no one posts anything that doesn't get migrated.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

The migration is done. Post any NEW problems here.

Chat is still on the old server. So I'm expecting problems with that. It won't be able to confirm your session cookie, so chat may be broken until Monday when the rest of my sites move to the new server.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

Got no response/504 when issuing a warning, but the warning did apply correctly.

Are you sure it was a 504, not 503?

Restart your browser and If it happens again, let me know.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Are you sure it was a 504, not 503?

Restart your browser and If it happens again, let me know.

Browser restarted (actually the whole machine, as Windows wanted an update again).

Still getting the error. It's a gateway timeout - at some point the server's response to the submit post is getting dropped.

Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

2 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

Browser restarted (actually the whole machine, as Windows wanted an update again).

Still getting the error. It's a gateway timeout - at some point the server's response to the submit post is getting dropped.

I wonder if the 2 servers are looking at DNS entries that are propagating properly. I know when I worked in IT we tested with IP addresses and it worked. At least we knew what the issue was.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Hotrawbutt4u said:

I wonder if the 2 servers are looking at DNS entries that are propagating properly. I know when I worked in IT we tested with IP addresses and it worked. At least we knew what the issue was.

AFAIK, the only way in which the severs are talking to each other right now is for the sending of email notifications. The configured SMTP server points to the old server. But that DNS setting hasn't changed and the config settings have an appropriate user name & password.

Which reminds me - have any of you gotten email notifcations since the migration? Or not gotten ones you were expecting?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, rawTOP said:

Which reminds me - have any of you gotten email notifcations since the migration? Or not gotten ones you were expecting?

I seem to be getting email notifications normally. Haven't noticed whether any were missing.

If I remember correctly we had an issue with a migration and we finally got one of the tier 3 network guys in and he looked into the records on the gateway router and with his " vodoo magic " found packets getting dropped. I think he made an entry into one of the tables and it fixed the issue ( might have been the ARP table )

If you are moving the other parts of the app to this new location early next week this might be a null issuee

got a notice that  there was a error. and my chat had been hijacked .  I havent had chat for a couple of days now  I have  shut every thing down and restarted but  it is the same .

Maybe  when  all your work is done it may be ok 

• Administrators

The problems were related to the fact that the firewall on the old server blocked access by the new server. That seemed to be the source of the issues since it was sending emails through the mail software on the old server.

• Upvote 2