Mike Johnson speaker of the house

tallslenderguy

14 hours ago, NEDenver said:

The ELCA churches are decent.

I'm glad to know that.  The SELCA I referred to above, was a part of the old Augustana Synod, before becoming absorbed into  the ELCA, and remained more "conservative" culturally than the ELCA, but still a part of it.  As I recall, when the "new" ELCA hymnal (Lutheran Book of Worship, red in color I think?) was introduced, the SELCA kept it's old black hymnal/BoW as well. 

Reportedly (I was a teen at the time), the Lords of Lutheranism got fairly pushy about the issue, and the ELCA won in the end.  But, we still kept the old Augustana Synod hymnals/BoW in the pews, right alongside the new ones, and used them regularly.  Lots of the hymn texts were printed in Swedish, natch.  

Shortly after I left for school, I was approached by the pastor of the Swedish services to "organize" (meaning, produce) a paper-back hymnal containing many of the old favorites of the Swedish hymns.  There were forms passed out, where each member of the congregation could write in a few of their personal favorites, from which I chose 92 (just now looked it up), and rendered them onto staff-paper myself, along with all the verses.  I only refused to accept one, entitled "There is a fountain filled with Blood".  The first verse began: "There is a fountain filled with blood, drawn from Immanuel's veins - and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their earthly pains".  Absolutely ghastly.

Once delivered, I went dancing out the door of Lutheranism  for good.  

Edited by hntnhole
included a really hellish title ...

FWIW, quite a number of us around the Louisiana capitol had a similar impression of Mike Johnson - that he was a man fighting hard against his true self. I hadn't considered that his wife might be "in on the joke" so to speak, but yeah, it's very possible she is there primarily to shore up her husband's bona fides as a heterosexual.

FWIAW, I'd always had the same vibe from Tony Perkins, who was in the state legislature here with Johnson for a while before Johnson (different geographic area represented, and a different temperament - definitely more of a snake). As many of you may know Perkins is now the president of the Family Research Council.

That "he seems a little swishy" vibe seems to pervade all sorts of organizations on the right in this state. The head of one of Louisiana's biggest anti-abortion groups is another one. I once made a passing comment at the Capitol that he would clearly be against abortion because any fetus created by sexual congress with him would have to be desperately, desperately wanted by both parties, given what he'd have to convince himself to do to make it happen. 

• Thanks 1

I'll also add: while Louisiana is a very, very conservative state, there are liberal enclaves in New Orleans and Baton Rouge and Shreveport, and within those, there are religious institutions that are much more accepting than most others. The First United Methodist Church here in BR is one of them, as is the Reform Jewish temple and the Unitarian Universalist Church. Their leaders are very supportive of the LGBT community.

• Thanks 1

Uh, well done guys. 

If you hadn't just posted nearly 100 message of hysteria about one guy in Washington who we hadn't heard of in our lives, then uhh America would have been hit by a magical whirlwind of anti-gay Christianity and gay sex would have been recriminalised in a second and everyone would have gone to jail.

Luckily, a hysteria weather forecaster told me that due to your efforts, the storm went south and those things happened in Costa Rice and Guatemala instead.

GOOD WORK!

• Downvote 3

7 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

FWIAW

I'm guessing 'for what it's also worth'?  

I'm only familiar with N.O., since there was a regional convention there (pertaining to the business).  I absolutely loved New Orleans, and still do.  There was a bar around the corner from the place we stayed, two-storey, with iron grilled balconies guys fucked on.  People on the street could watch if they wanted to.  Can't recall the name of the joint, but it was a First Class Pigpen.  

Antoine's, Brennan's, Galatoire's, Court of the 3 (?) Sisters, so many wonderful restaurants, with the Blues bars, Jazz joints  everywhere ... I just loved it.  

Thanks for mentioning the UU's; I've respected those folks for many years.  

1 hour ago, harrysmith26 said:

about one guy in Washington who we hadn't heard of in our lives, then uhh America would have been hit by a magical whirlwind of anti-gay Christianity

Correction: Who you hadn’t heard of. He’s made lots of noise in lots of places influencing lots of people over his misguided career. And the anti-gay Christianity is an active force in the here and now, causing actual harm - just this week the North Georgia division of the second largest Protestant denomination in the US lost nearly half its member churches because the other half insisted on being anti-gay. Hysteria, you say? The man isn’t some fringe political nobody - he’s now the Speaker of the House of Representatives and second in line of succession for the Presidency. He may be crazy, but he’s been placed in a position of power to actually make some crazy happen. There is a significant percentage of the American population that would be absolutely on board with sending people to jail for being homosexuals - or indeed, for doing anything they don’t like. One of their kind is now in power. To object to that isn’t hysterical, it’s vital.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, harrysmith26 said:

Object to it on a forum no Christian or member of the House of Representatives ever reads?

Yeah that's "defending freedom" alright!

“On a forum no Christian ever reads”

BWAHAHAHAHA

You think Christians don’t fuck bareback?

I’m a Christian, and this is my 4,001st post here.

And you think no member of the House of Representatives would ever sully his eyes on such content? I assure you, some of those people are among the sleaziest, most corrupt whoremongers on the planet. How about good ol’ George Santos, who evidently used campaign donations to pay for his subscription to OnlyFans? You can’t make this shit up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

You can’t make this shit up.

You just said how sleazy politicians are, but they would never rig/arrange approximately 30 million false votes to get their pathetic doddering tortoise of a candidate over the line?

Edited by harrysmith26
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, harrysmith26 said:

You just said how sleazy politicians are, but they would never rig/arrange approximately 30 million false votes to get their pathetic doddering tortoise of a candidate over the line?

Actually, since you said that, it is amazing the shit some people make up.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Upvote 4

23 hours ago, harrysmith26 said:

Object to it on a forum no Christian or member of the House of Representatives ever reads?

Mr. Smith:  

1.  You don't know that.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, harrysmith26 said:

hysteria

2.  There is nothing "hysterical" whatsoever about the exchange of ideas with one's peers.  There are a number of threads on BZ that I'm not interested in, so I don't read them.  I suggest you follow suit.  

On 11/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, harrysmith26 said:

then uhh America would have been hit by a magical whirlwind

3.  "uhh" is not a word.  Maybe it's you that's living in some "magical whirlwind".  

16 hours ago, harrysmith26 said:

rig/arrange approximately 30 million false votes to get their pathetic doddering tortoise of a candidate over the line?

4.  Since it appears you're only interested in throwing road apples, however ridiculous, may I mention that there's a contrivance here on BZ wherein we can "block" individual members, and thus not be bothered by their input.  At the top of this page, there are 7 links, the 5th of which is entitled "other".  If you need help in accomplishing this task, one of the moderators will help you "block" the input from other members that seem to irritate you so substantially.  I encourage you to use that function as it relates to my input.

This site is for every guy, exchanging viewpoints on all kinds of issues, and doing that with some measure of respect for the viewpoints of others.  Myopia simply doesn't work well in this type of milieu.  

In any case, good luck to you. 

• Upvote 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, harrysmith26 said:

... approximately 30 million false votes to get their ... candidate over the line?

I'll just put this here:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2021/2020-presidential-election-voting-and-registration-tables-now-available.html

So uh, anyway, Erroswhatever - Trump supporters were/are afraid of Islam

But yourself... and all the others just like you, haven't yet actually specified what you fear will happen if you let one of my posts go without getting "the last word" or ridiculing me by clicking a "downvote". 

You're afraid it'll somehow make you even balder and more wrinkly? I dunno, tell us!

Edited by harrysmith26
  • Downvote 3