Hairy FTM trans

Marlin

I see many FTM trans guys that are pretty hairy. Nice beard and hairy chest. 
I'm a masculine gay man who has no chest hair. Decent facial hair and below the waist but totally smooth above. I always wish I had some chest hair as I love the masculine. My question is how do these formerly female guys end up becoming hairy. Does genetics play a favor as they take testosterone? Would testosterone give me chest hair?

Genetics do play a role, of course. Since a FTM person typically has XX chromosomes, one of those came from his father. So if he transitions and is on testosterone, and his father was a hairy man, it might well trigger the "hairy" gene to express itself more than if his father had been relatively smooth. So not every trans man is going to have a hairy chest no matter how much testosterone he's prescribed.

If you're a cis man, however, you have a Y chromosome from your father, which itself may be coded for "not so hairy" (particularly if your dad wasn't hairy). That doesn't mean higher testosterone levels wouldn't help you, but the effects might be more limited. On the other hand, if (as austin picked up on) your testosterone levels are somewhat low, just getting them up to average or higher might make a dramatic difference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

What @BootmanLA said. Testosterone level modifies the amount of facial and body hair, but genetics have an awful lot to do with it also. The genes for hair are inherited from both parents (they're  not on the X and Y chromosomes), so your body hair patterns can resemble either parent or be somewhere in between. There is definitely a correlation between body hair prevalence and ancestry - genetics from east asian, native american, and some other backgrounds are linked to little body hair, while european background is linked to more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot is genetic… as yes there are some hot furry ftm otters out there (who I think are really hot) … but there are also some smoother twink type ftms … who (I would assume) are probably taking similar doses of testosterone 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, drscorpio said:

My late husband had a very smooth chest when we got together.  A few years later, he had to go on testosterone because his levels were too low. Within 8-9 months, he had a very hairy chest. 

Damn, that's hot.....always jealous of men with chest hair....As i said, I'm moderately hairy waist down...nice bush, hairy hole and hairy legs. I/m also lucky in that I have a full head of hair with no signs of losing it