Grindr banned in the Olympic Village in Paris (2024)

brnbk

Is the decision to ban Grindr from the 2024 Paris Olympic Village homophobic?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Grindr bans geolocation services in the Paris Olympic Village out of safety concerns for gay players.

• Yes - absolutely, Paris now has the same levels of freedom for gays as communist China.
    • No - Turning on geolocation could compromise the identity of gay sportsmen, many of whom are high profile stars.
    • Yes, it is homophobic. Gay likes to give or take a quick load before or after a sport match.
    • No - it is not homophobic
    • Not sure
    • Other.

20 hours ago, topblkmale said:

I'm assuming you're referring to safety for gay LGBTQ people and not safer as far as crime, assault, gun violence and police brutality. Not specifically targeted at gay people.

I would question that 'Secret Police' can use geolocation to pinpoint gay men.

Crime is down in all categories.  Turn off Fox and other right wing propaganda (excuse me, “entertainment”) sites.  They’re lying to you to make you think things that will radicalize you toward the right.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEDenver said:

Crime is down in all categories.  Turn off Fox and other right wing propaganda (excuse me, “entertainment”) sites.  They’re lying to you to make you think things that will radicalize you toward the right.  

We are from vastly different parts of the country, different cultural ethnic backgrounds and live in totally different neighborhoods.

I don't consume legacy mainstream media as I don't have cable TV.

Yes, crime is down. Way down.

Harris/Walz 2024!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, topblkmale said:

I'm assuming you're referring to safety for gay LGBTQ people and not safer as far as crime, assault, gun violence and police brutality. Not specifically targeted at gay people.

Yes, and I should have been more precise, so thank you for the correction. I was strictly comparing "safety to be openly gay" between western countries (in general) and the Middle East (in general).

I would say in most of the west (the US especially excepted), police brutality is less of an issue in the West than the Middle East. 

As far as gun violence is concerned, again, most of the West, the US specifically excepted, is pretty safe, though I can't compare it to the Middle East for lack of information. I'm fairly certain that gun violence in the U.S. is worse than any other first-world Western nation, by a long shot.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, blackrobe said:

Next, there are many stories from different unfriendly countries of them actually using gay apps to entrap, capture, detain, and torture LGBTQ folks.  It's a probability approaching certainty that techniques like trilateration are being used by police in LGBTQ unfriendly countries to target people.

If your country has a morality police they likely already have a list of suspected homosexuals in their country, so the GPS on the Grindr app in Paris is hardly going to get them trapped. Most gay guys in countries where being gay is illegal, still try to meet up and create  gay spaces even if the police could show up anytime and arrest them; simply because human beings are humans, and the human spirit to experience life is far greater than any conservative's safety net.

Even in the West:

On 8/7/2024 at 7:24 PM, BootmanLA said:

For fuck's sake, they KNOW it's not safe to be gay - they already LIVE that back home....... because getting you laid is a lot more important than ACTUALLY keeping you safe, is just stupidity. Sheer stupidity. 

as confirmed by the men here on our site, gay men choose to bareback rather than use condoms even if that is the safer thing to do simply because the human spirit wants to be free; and no it's not stupidity, its called wanting something more free.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21 hours ago, blackrobe said:

......Back in 2019, Pen Test Partners were able to use trilateration to build a map of gay app (Grindr, Recon, Romeo) users locations with the distance data these apps get from geolocation. They published data on the exploit and It looks like only Recon has fixed the problem.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:07 PM, PozBearWI said:

.....  Disclosing someone's specific location does nothing to protect a customer.  

The problem is not the GPS on Grindr but the fact that Grindr shares/sells data to third party companies, who of course can pass it on to criminal people/the morality police, and who often use it to harass/harm gay men as some recent lawsuits against Grindr in the US and UK indicate. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Yes, and I should have been more precise, so thank you for the correction. I was strictly comparing "safety to be openly gay" between western countries (in general) and the Middle East (in general).

22 hours ago, Poz50something said:

but is it really a safe place for LGBTQ people in the West, particularly trans women of colour? 

List of trans women murdered in 2024: 

If being gay only means gay men and perhaps gay women, then yes the West is definitely more safe for gay men and perhaps gay women as well. However the West is a nightmare for Trans people - If you consider them as "gay/LGBTQ", whereas violence against Trans people in the Muslim world/middle East is unheard of.

In Iran the State encourages even gay men to become Transexual and pays for gender reassignment surgery as Trans sex is not seen as anti-Islamic. So, again words can mean different things and what might be true for one culture, isnt necessarily the case elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1