Kamala Harris and Mark Kelly ticket?

i'm increasingly excited and encouraged by the turn the democratic party has recently taken in it's offering of presidential candidates. The more i see of Harris and learn about her, the more i like her. She's both seasoned and fresh, something i think our country wants and needs.

And now, i see one of the top possibilities for her running mate is Mark Kelly. Wow. He would round out the ticket beautifully i think. A true and accomplished citizen of our country, yet relatively new to politics and a background that brings some wonderful perspective, and i think balance, to the ticket.  Here's some info on him:

"Kelly’s third career would not bring much to the ticket. He’s a neophyte politician, a first-term senator just beginning to create a record.

Even so, his mind-bending first and second careers as a Navy fighter pilot and a NASA astronaut are his ticket to ride. They earned him entrée to the U.S. Senate in his initial run for office.

Kelly fought in aerial combat. He flew multiple space missions. He married a U.S. congresswoman and then devoted his life to her rehabilitation after she was shot in the head and nearly killed.

He has become an evangelist for better gun laws and a safer country, even as he owns guns and shoots for recreation.

Any of that would seem exceptional, but there’s something more about him that makes him not only a powerful antidote to what ails Harris and today’s Democratic Party, but also makes him a formidable foe to Republicans.

His mom and dad were cops.

And they have helped set the mood for the 2024 election. This is a law-and-order election that favors the Dad party – the Republicans.

We’re tapped out on Mom, who sees every malcontent as victim and every victim as child who must be swaddled and smooched by Mom’s generous big government.

We’re done with that. We’re done with all the word play and feel-good therapy.

It doesn’t work, for starters. It makes the country more angry and more divided. We can’t afford it, and there are larger problems on the horizon that need our attention.

There is no way the son of two police officers from West Orange, New Jersey, is ever going to denigrate cops."

[think before following links] https://www.yahoo.com/news/kamala-harris-doesnt-scare-republicans-090715646.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&segment_id=DY_VTO&ncid=crm_19908-1202929-20240728-0&bt_user_id=C4RLkmcnGyjK347zfz6rIDVdbWOml9OT%2F4QGUDtfsvkhPP7%2BbDqVfAPJ15Lu2Rv%2B&bt_ts=1722177976791

• Upvote 4

I won't be upset if Harris picks Kelly, but personally think Beshear or Shapiro would bring in more swing voters. My preference in order would be

Beshear

Shapiro

Kelly

I just hope she doesn't pick Pritzker.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NWUSHorny said:

I just hope she doesn't pick Pritzker

I doubt she will - the connection to decades of Dem ownership of Chicago & some of the burbs - and thus the State - would almost be a "cat-ladies" opportunity for the R's. 

Frankly, I was surprised he's even in the running.  There's plenty of "buried treasure" for the R' to hang around his neck back in Chgo .... 

Edited by hntnhole
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Frankly, I was surprised he's even in the running.  There's plenty of "buried treasure" for the R's to around his neck back in Chgo .... 

As usual, I suspect some of these are courtesy mentions. 

I like the “idea” of Kelly. Especially love that it would bring Gabby into the mix. I don’t know that much about him, but I’ve read he’s not a compelling speaker/debater.  I trust Kamala to make a good decision.

Would love to see Buttigieg get the nod, but probably not a good idea. With his language skills, smarts, and great communication ability, he could be a great Secretary of State. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Agreed.  When he was running for Pres, he came to Ft. L. to some old dumpy joint (seemed to be an old disco, maybe?), and the place was jammed.  

I also like Walz - he's articulate, blunt, and smiley.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see .... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hntnhole said:

I also like Walz - he's articulate, blunt, and smiley.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see

He’s been on fire!

I just heard Whitmer speak. Dynamite! I’ve seen her on plenty of interviews but didn’t realize what a charismatic speaker she is. 

Dems really have an amazing bench 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DallasPozzible said:

As usual, I suspect some of these are courtesy mentions. 

I like the “idea” of Kelly. Especially love that it would bring Gabby into the mix. I don’t know that much about him, but I’ve read he’s not a compelling speaker/debater.  I trust Kamala to make a good decision.

Would love to see Buttigieg get the nod, but probably not a good idea. With his language skills, smarts, and great communication ability, he could be a great Secretary of State. 

You captured my thinking about Mayor Pete well.  While he has the skills to be president and I believe eventually will be, SOS would be a proper next step.  And Kelly adds an essential balance to the ticket.  Astronauts are historically vote getters.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PozBearWI said:

Astronauts are historically vote getters. 

Other than John Glenn and Mark Kelly, I can’t think of one that was very successful. Glenn was a well-respected, longtime Senator, but his higher aspirations fell flat. Just reviewing his Wikipedia page, he was considered by Carter for VP but his convention speech fell flat and Carter picked Mondale. Glenn tried for presidential nom and lost out in Iowa caucus and NH primary. 

I still think Kelly’s bio makes him worthy of consideration. But if he’s not a compelling speaker/debater, we probably have better alternatives. For a while it felt like momentum was behind Kelly, but I’m not hearing much of that now. 

There seems to be a lot of energy behind Walz. Announcement won’t come for several days, so who knows where we’re headed.

And now that Republicans are experiencing buyer’s remorse about Vance, will Trump toss him aside?

Such interesting times. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DallasPozzible said:

Other than John Glenn and Mark Kelly, I can’t think of one that was very successful. Glenn was a well-respected, longtime Senator, but his higher aspirations fell flat. Just reviewing his Wikipedia page, he was considered by Carter for VP but his convention speech fell flat and Carter picked Mondale. Glenn tried for presidential nom and lost out in Iowa caucus and NH primary. 

I still think Kelly’s bio makes him worthy of consideration. But if he’s not a compelling speaker/debater, we probably have better alternatives. For a while it felt like momentum was behind Kelly, but I’m not hearing much of that now. 

There seems to be a lot of energy behind Walz. Announcement won’t come for several days, so who knows where we’re headed.

And now that Republicans are experiencing buyer’s remorse about Vance, will Trump toss him aside?

Such interesting times. 

Can Trump toss Vance aside???

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

What i really love is all of the choices we have... good, descent choices

And what does the corpulent, thiiiiis close to 80, orange-utang wind up with ???   

CAT LADIES !!! 

Of note; reportedly, the-sponsor-in-chief, who plucked Vance out of the bottom of the pile, gave him millions to get elected to the Senate, on and on, turns out to be one of us.  Maybe not the particular subset we BZ'ers belong to, but the greater "we".  Paid for his Senate campaign, paid for all kinds of things on behalf of Vance.  

Can't help but wonder why ........    

Edited by hntnhole
  • Downvote 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:35 PM, hntnhole said:

I doubt she will - the connection to decades of Dem ownership of Chicago & some of the burbs - and thus the State - would almost be a "cat-ladies" opportunity for the R's. 

Frankly, I was surprised he's even in the running.  There's plenty of "buried treasure" for the R' to hang around his neck back in Chgo ...

Pritzker probably isn't anywhere near as corrupt as Trump, but he does have more than a few of his own problems in that regard, and we know both the MAGA Party and the general elective are hypocritical enough that it will stick to anyone not named Donald Trump.

Edited by NWUSHorny

48 minutes ago, PozBearWI said:

Can Trump toss Vance aside???

Probably, and unless he either turns around in the polls or garners unwavering across the board support from the MAGA base, Trump will dump him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NWUSHorny said:

Pritzker probably isn't anywhere near as corrupt as Trump

Well, who is ???  If I believed in supernatural beings, I suppose the supposed resident-in-chief of Hell would qualify .... 

• Upvote 2