DoxyPEP every time?

I’ve only heard about DoxyPEP recently and have been wondering if it is for me. It is only new where I live and I thought I needed to understand it better before speaking to my doctor. I remember when PrEP was new my doctor, though supportive, had some misconceptions. Although I have a lot of raw casual sex I nonetheless like to take reasonable precautions e.g. getting HPV and MPX vaccinations.

Anyway my question is whether people who have a reasonable amount of raw sex use DoxyPEP every sexual encounter or adopt some kind of risk-based approach? For example, my case I have occasional sexual encounters about 1-2 times a week and then have very busy periods. Right now, for example, I’m just finishing a 10 day holiday in Bangkok where I’ve usually had sex with 2-3 guys every day and been bred daily. I’d say that I’m more at risk of STIs now than in my regular routine and wondered how guys familiar with DoxyPEP approach these things.

• Moderators

I've been using DoxyPEP (or DoxyPrEP) for a while now. I definitely use a risk-based approach. If it's a one-off play date with a guy I already know, or who I believe has a reasonably good risk profile, I usually skip it. If I'm headed to the bookstore or the sex club, I take it. This has been very effective (I think zero failures) for about 5 years now.

Frankly, I'd probably take it more of the time if my current primary care people just prescribed me a bottle of it, but they dole it out a dose at a time, so it's just inconvenient enough to create a bit of a speed bump. We'll see how the next set of medical professionals does, as I'm moving soon and will likely be auditioning a new team.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I take it when higher risk events baths, sex clubs etc  I must say since starting a couple years ago my sti rates have dropped to zero.   So for me it is definitely working for preventing infections.    Here in Canada the script is for 30 days plus refills or maybe they just know I am ass up face down alot 😆 

• Upvote 1

I take doxycycline (200mg) every time after I fuck raw ( fuck or get fucked) regardless of risk profile (no issues here with supply, one medical RXes a bunch and they are essentially free). I haven't tested + again for the bacterial ones since I started doxypep. I was testing + on those frequently before.  Seems to be working for me. 

I get a bit concerned if I'm on vacation and I've popped 200mg every day but I don't notice any side effects from it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's worth mentioning that in a small percentage of people (about 3%) doxycycline can cause photosensitivity. So just be cautious if taking it consistently if on holiday in sunny climates. Or at least be sure to use sun screen if you do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FallenLad said:

It's worth mentioning that in a small percentage of people (about 3%) doxycycline can cause photosensitivity. So just be cautious if taking it consistently if on holiday in sunny climates. Or at least be sure to use sun screen if you do.

what are the dangers of photosensitivity in regards to doxy intake?

7 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

It's more phototoxicity, so like a bad sunburn - blisters, red skin, itching, etc. But from far less exposure than would normally cause those symptoms.

A very small percentage of people are likely to have that. But it's a possible side effect with a number of antibiotics.

10 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

A friend of mine who is a doctor of medicine told me that all these problems only occur when you take it DAILY. So if you are on holidays, fuck around and only take it once nothing should happen.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RubberAustria said:

A friend of mine who is a doctor of medicine told me that all these problems only occur when you take it DAILY. So if you are on holidays, fuck around and only take it once nothing should happen.

Well, that's a bit of the problem isn't it?

Some of us go in whoredom trips where we'll be slutting for a whole week and if we do 200mg doxy every day.. we are at a higher risk of side effects?

3 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

Well, that's a bit of the problem isn't it?

Some of us go in whoredom trips where we'll be slutting for a whole week and if we do 200mg doxy every day.. we are at a higher risk of side effects?

For the sunlight sensitivity issue: yes, you're at a higher risk if you're on it daily for a slutting vacation. That means use a lot of sunscreen, probably at a higher SPF than you might otherwise use, if you're going to be outside a lot. If you're going to be inside a hotel room or sex club most of the time, it's less of an issue.

It's still better to deal with a bit of sun sensitivy/sunburn than STI treatment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RealCute said:

Here are some guide lines and info and side effects

Doxy PEP.pdf 1.27 MB · 1 download

Awesome that is helpful!

How soon after sex do you guys take it? The guidelines say within 24 hours up to 72 hours. Do most of you wait until almost 24 hours? Wait a few (say 2-3) hours after? Is there a too soon? It's always confused me

3 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

My concern is daily usage would cause your body to become somewhat resistant.

Besides I live in Florida and medications like this one have caused me to burn quickly.

Well, it's for post-exposure prophylactic treatment; if you aren't taking anonymous, random loads daily, then you don't need the pills daily. If you are, well, maybe it's time to stay out of the sun more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JockstrapBottom said:

Awesome that is helpful!

How soon after sex do you guys take it? The guidelines say within 24 hours up to 72 hours. Do most of you wait until almost 24 hours? Wait a few (say 2-3) hours after? Is there a too soon? It's always confused me

As most of my hookups are later in the evening to the early morning. I go to sleep and when I wake up, then I take them which might be 6 to 8 Hours afterwards, sometimes a little longer..   I always make sure I'm going to be vertical, not laying down after taking them seems to help with stomach issues..

• Like 2