Think I might have syphilis

Kind of freaking out, though not hugely since it's curable, because I am about 99% sure I have syphlils but I don't know for sure. I have read that you get a "chancre" when you do on the infected area, and I have a hardish painless bump on the bottom underside base of my cock. What is making me think it may not be is that a hair is growing straight up through the middle so it may be something to do with the hair being ingrown maybe(though probably not since the bump doesn't hurt)

For the people on here who have had syphilis does this sound like the chancre and that I am in the beginning stage? I would just go to the hospital but would rather not unless I am even more sure that it is syphilis.

To the best of my knowledge. The difference between an ingrown hair and a syphillis chancre is that the first will turn to pus, so after a while the "hardish" part will move to the surface and will become more elastic, usually you can just pop it like a zit in the end, whereas a syph chancre is more like a frozen pea stuck under your skin (you can't "pop" it, because it isn't pus, it's infected tissue), and it will become wet and oozy not unlike a herpes sore.

The thing about syphillis is: The earlier it's diagnosed, the easier the treatment, sometimes it's just one shot of penicillin. Once you get to the stage where body is covered with the typical rash, it has spread throughout your body, often requiring more antibiotics / longer treatment.

So if you think that it's syph, get tested and treated ASAP and PLEASE: Don't have sex with other until you treatment is finished. Be fair.

As to the "freaking out" part: Syphillis is 100% percent completely curable, if it's caught early, the only possible effect might be some scarring where the chancre was. Be calm and relaxed, just don't procratinate: see a doctor, if necessary get treated.

Edited by GermanFucker

Great advice German fucker. See a doctor immediately you dont have to go a family doctor. There are clinics that offer screening of this and as German Fucker said , the worst case scenario in this case is a shot of antibiotics, if it is treated soon.

But do not panic, we all go through these types of things. If you read the internet you will have a sore and it will be terminal cancer by the time you read everyones opinions.

Your instincts are usually correct. It could be just a ingrown hair and chances are it is but get it checked out soon :)

You know, even an ingrown hair could benefit from some medical attention, depending on whether it's infected or not. It's not inconceivable to get a staph infection on your penis. While syphilis, as was pointed out, is much more easily curable when caught early, the same is double true for something like MRSA. It's not sexually transmitted, but it wouldn't be hard to pick it up sexually either. Go see a doctor. I know it's embarrassing, but it really isn't for the doctor. In my experience, most doctors treat these sort of things with a fairly good bedside manner. Just go and get your worries alleviated.

Thanks for the advice guys. I called today and have an appointment for Wednesday morning so I'll let you all know the results then. I'm about 100% sure it is syphilis now after reading more online, though the pictures I find don't look like my bump but like you all said it's better to go and know then not and then have it harder to cure and pass it on to others

Guest JizzDumpWI

Glad you are having that checked. If your clinic is similar to mine it costs the same whether you check one thing or all possible. So check it all. I go every 3 months, but do go every six at least. The STI's out there can be worse than HIV.

Glad you are having that checked. If your clinic is similar to mine it costs the same whether you check one thing or all possible. So check it all. I go every 3 months, but do go every six at least. The STI's out there can be worse than HIV.

I have no idea if they do but that'd be very convenient since I last had an HIV test 5 months ago

This motherfucking bump keeps getting bigger...I did something stupid and googled more on bumps around/on the penis and now I'm worried I have HPV, though the bump doesn't look like those bumps either. It may just be a cyst from what I have read. I'm not so nervous about showing the doctor anymore in the morning, now I just want to find out and deal with whatever it is.

I received some very valuable advice from my therapist, soon after I was newly diagnosed. She told me to STOP GOOGLING the meds & side effects. Everything I read on any topic, I was all of a sudden, In my warped mind, having those symptoms...that disease or WORSE. Relax, see a professional & everything will be alright. Don't rely on Google (or WebMD) for advice or treatment opinions that a qualified professional who you trust should be giving you.

This motherfucking bump keeps getting bigger...I did something stupid and googled more on bumps around/on the penis and now I'm worried I have HPV, though the bump doesn't look like those bumps either. It may just be a cyst from what I have read. I'm not so nervous about showing the doctor anymore in the morning, now I just want to find out and deal with whatever it is.

According to the CDC virtually all sexually active adults will contract HPV at one point in their lives. It sounds to me like what you have is most likely a swollen sebaceous gland/sebaceous cyst. If it turns out not to be HPV and you're still under 21, get the vaccine. It's now recommended for young men. At my last STD checkup I tested negative for everything but HPV. Never had any symptoms but I assume as long as I stay sexually active, I'll likely be a carrier. Yes it can cause cancer but given that there are about 80 million infected in the US and about 1500 cases of penile cancer every year, it's a fairly small risk.

i didn't know there was a test for men for hpv. i'm 28 and was told almost a decade ago that i had been exposed to hpv through my limited (still existing yet limited) sexual experiences with guys and girls. I was told that nearly everyone except for virgins (ovbiously) had been exposed so i never really gave it a second thought... excuse me for being ignorant- to everyone i've fucked & exposed over the past so many years....

Also keep in mind: Many guys feel some kind of inner pressure to "confess" their sexual "depravity" at the doctor's office. But most doctors aren't interested confessions, only in medically relevant information. (Yes, when assessing if something might be HIV it can be relevant to know whether the patient has a lot of unsafe sex. Or if someone is into fisting when looking for HepC.)

You can get syphillis by receiving a blowjob. So you don't have to tell anything that you're not comfortable with. You can be as specific or not as you like to. Some of my standard lines are "I'm young and sexually active. .... No specific risky situation comes to mind, but out of responsibility and for the sake of my partners I just want to be sure."

• Moderators

Please do get it taken care of. I most likely picked up syphilis this spring at a Bear Run in Dallas. Being a bottom, the initial infection chancre must have been internal. I didn't notice anything until I developed a rash this summer. Unfortunately, it started the week after I had spent an entire Saturday pulling vines and clearing brush in our yard, so I thought it was a reaction to some plant I was allergic to for the first week. By that time I had red dots all over my arms and legs. Fortunately, my doctor recognized the rash as most likely secondary syphilis right away. After tests confirmed it, I got a big shot of penicillin, and I was better in a few days. But the rash took weeks to completely fade. And everyone I ran into wanted to know what was up with it. Then there was the added joy of contacting every trick from the period when I might have been contagious.

Syphilis doesn't get dangerous until it goes past the 2nd stage, but it is truly no fun. Get it looked at now.

Hmm. Now that it was mentioned, you're right about HPV tests for men. I wonder what I was thinking. I went back to look at my last results (the comprehensive panel from Any Lab Test Now) and I was positive for HSV-1 not HPV. Also, not so surprising.