HIV Conspiracy??? Has anyone heard this crap?

3 hours ago, pussyboy82 said:

I think a good theory to discuss is, did HIV treatment help discover vaccines for covid?

I can't remember where but I have seen various quotes / articles stating that the HIV pandemic in the 80s caused such an increase in knowledge and professionals in this field, that yes it has had a huge positive impact on how quickly they were able to react to Covid.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2014 at 4:42 PM, fagxave said:

My first obstacle when hearing any conspiracy theory is that I can't believe any government - let alone mine (Australia) or even less likely the USA - is competent enough to organise and implement any of these intricate and specific schemes. I mean the US can barely afford itself and Aus can't decide who the leader is in the first place. Ridiculous.

THIS.  Took the words right out of my mouth.  Most governments can't tie their own fucking shoelaces.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, versasslover said:

Three years ago I was in this Uber in LA, black guy, gay as fuck, southern drawl and pretty hot for a short chubby guy. So I chatted him up a bit, small talk about what he liked to do, trying to steer it into more gay things. But he shut it down soon by saying he hated LA, how he was gay but not a fag, wanted to move back home, too many fags in LA. And out of the blue states that cancer and AIDS were a fabrication of the government, as in artificially created. And big pharma was in on it. And the only cures were bee stings. He continues to rant for a while  I shut up and after an awkward 10 last minutes exited the car silently. 

That would have earned him a report to Uber for me. He's free to believe what he wants but passengers - customers of his employer - shouldn't be forced to listen.

15 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

That would have earned him a report to Uber for me. He's free to believe what he wants but passengers - customers of his employer - shouldn't be forced to listen.

I would have but didn’t order the Uber, my boss did. But I’ve never had a normal Uber ride in LA.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pussyboy82 said:

I think a good theory to discuss is, did HIV treatment help discover vaccines for covid?

I think we'd need to clarify some terms.

The study of viruses, especially retroviruses like HIV, undoubtedly increased dramatically once HIV was discovered. We forget that back in the early 80's, there was a lot more discussion of "superbugs" - ie bacteria that were antibiotic resistant - possibly developing, whereas we seemed to have a reasonable grasp on viruses - cold, flu, pneumonia. They still affected millions and some years thousands died but we had a good handle on vaccines and the bigger problem was just getting more people to take the damned shot. We'd largely eliminated smallpox, polio, and a host of other viral diseases with vaccinations and improved treatments.

Then along comes HIV - a virus that nothing really worked on to treat, and against which we had no tools to prevent infection, either - and it was, for almost all patients, especially at the end, painful and fatal. And that's for a virus that is, for all its power, relatively hard to transmit. It dies very, very quickly once it leaves its host unless it immediately infects another in the process. Imagine a virus with the destructive power of HIV coupled with the ability to survive outside the human body for extended periods, the way some cold & flu viruses can, and that doesn't require contact with permeable tissues (vaginal/anal/oral linings) to infect.

That fear prompted a lot of work that helped in the development of treatments for HIV (eventually); and even when treatments failed to "shake out" from particular research, the increased knowledge of how viruses work helped science across the viral study front.

In fact, the Moderna mRNA vaccine for Covid is built on work that Moderna was already doing on HIV, which helped them get up to speed quickly. But to be clear - that's research for an HIV vaccine, not "HIV treatment", which isn't the same thing.

There ARE some antiviral drugs coming on the market - oral ones - that also build on HIV treatment research. In some cases, avenues explored for retroviruses like HIV that were dead ends found new life - and better suitability - in treating coronaviruses like SARS-CoV-2 (the Covid-19 virus). 

So I'd say the short answer is "Kind of" but with the note that HIV vaccine research was more productive in facilitating Covid vaccines than HIV treatment research (specifically) has ben in facilitating Covid treatment. And broadly speaking, But specifically, HIV *TREATMENT* leading to a Covid *VACCINE*? Not really. The former is (ongoing) work to find ways to manage HIV in already infected people; the latter is a product that prevents (or dramatically limits) infection in the first place.

It’s interesting that in the semi-post covid world we are seeing things in clinical trials that are seen as cures for HIV. That said, it is still not clear where HIV hides as a reservoir against current treatments so these may end up as another group of effective management tools.

1 hour ago, Justaholeff said:

You know the best thing that has happened to humanity AND the worse thing that has has happened to humanity is fucking social media!

I agree with half of your reply.  It's the worst thing that has happened to humanity, to critical thinking, to intellectual effort, to interaction with our fellow human beings, almost every human activity. 

It reminds me of a joke:  So there was this girl walking to school.  There was a boy driving his car to the same school.  Both had their heads buried in social media on their phones.  Girl starts to cross a street, boy runs her down. Neither noticed.

• Like 1

My first long term partner absolutely refused to use condoms with me, and I was probably not assertive enough in my youth to challenge this. At the time the treatments were only really coming to light, but his argument was that HIV was a myth and that AIDS was caused by poppers. It was my first experience of an outwardly looking intelligent person absolutley missing the point on data and knowledge.

I've not exactly blamed him for my barebacking lifestyle, but after a few years of exclusively raw sex, it did mean I wasn't ready to go back to condoms when we split. At least however that was because I was slutty, not ignorant lol

• 1 month later...

Im not one that would normally stand up for the criminal pharmaceutical industry, but I do always find it rather asinine of people that go around suing some of these companies for the HIV medications of the past and them developing certain side effects from them when those are clearly addressed prior to starting the medication, and then the fact that theyre only still alive to bitch about these companies because they were taking those meds.

The only "conspiracy" in regard to HIV I thought was interesting was how the SIV strain crossed species during the mass polio vaccinations which had monkey plasma in them. One of the arguments against the meat-market theory that is universally accepted is that it was introduced during the meat-market trade and somebody's blood mixed with a monkeys blood, but seems like that would have happened at one point or another at some previous point in human history. But what do I know

41 minutes ago, 120DaysofSodom said:

But what do I know

You, young man, know how to Service a Top to perfection.  

but - does anyone actually eat monkeys ???  How would their blood get into meat destined for human consumption ......

4 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

but - does anyone actually eat monkeys ???  How would their blood get into meat destined for human consumption ......

Various types of “bush meat” are not uncommon in some countries 

1 minute ago, hntnhole said:

This is true. I do know that 😁

2 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

does anyone actually eat monkeys ???  How would their blood get into meat destined for human consumption ......

People eat monkeys all over Asia and Africa. Its an available source of protein. Can't say ive ever tried it myself, and I think id equate it to cannibalism since theyre cousins. The meat market theory though posits that at some point during the mass meat market trade in Africa, somebody, somewhere cut themself and their blood was mixed with the blood of a monkey they were butchering. HIV/AIDs is a zoonosis. This means a virus that crosses species. SIV being harmless to most primates, eventually mutated when introduced into the human population and became HIV.