PrEP four days a week?

concerned1

5 minutes ago, Pozlover1 said:

It seems inevitable that a strain that is resistant to Travuda will take off and multiply, and the people pushing PrEP will try and cover it up

Yep. And that is what's happening now......Lemme say this, I don't think the government like gay people that much to begin with, if they see a way that almost precisely target the gay population. Then they may just sit away, I am not saying they are actively persecuting. But their inaction can do as much harm, just like the Reagan administration's response towards the HIV epidemic. 

• Moderators

The 7 cases are cases where blood tests confirm that the person was PrEP daily. There is an additional case where the guy was using on- demand dosing, but it is much harder to confirm whether the person is doing that because it doesn’t create a constant presence in the blood. 

There have been other cases of people taking PrEP, but their follow up tests confirm they were not taking it daily consistently. I presume those are the ones SunHornyBottom is talking about. 

• Confused 1

PreP taken 365 days a year is over 99.5% effective.. PreP taken as per the French parameter is over 93% effective (more so if U are a top).. there are a multitude of tests/seminars around the world.. (yes not just in the US).. read the reports.. U will be better informed..

Don't fall for the .."oh the drug companies are just out to clean up" syndrome.. overall it's your health.. Look after it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

• Moderators

As the saying goes, "A man convinced against his will is of his own opinion still," so I know I'm not too likely to change minds... BUT.

<flame>

Y'all need to make a distinction between verified facts and anecdotal evidence (i.e. hearsay), and don't even get me started on what happens when you ASSUME.

The science proves that PrEP works. It works better than condoms. It is not perfect, and it's a lot less perfect if you don't take it consistently.

The science also proves that strains of the virus that are drug-resistant are less transmissible than the more common drug-susceptible strains. How much less transmissible, we don't know.

At least in Seattle, the "government" (i.e. the medical community and public health organizations) take the threat of a snowballing drug-resistant strain very seriously - they monitor new cases and test them for drug resistance, and if they see a cluster of new drug-resistant cases, they chase them down:

April of 2016, we became aware of a potential primary transmission of Truvada resistant HIV in an individual reporting high PrEP adherence. This prompted us to look at Truvada resistance among all King County residents living with HIV infection. Our goal was to find Truvada resistant individuals with viremia -- plasma viral load above 1,000 or 10,000 copies (and thus with a high capacity for onward transmission) and do harm reduction work to help them move towards viral suppression. We defined Truvada resistance as one or more genotypic test (at any time) with intermediate to high level resistance to both components of Truvada (or PrEP): emtricitabine and tenofovir.

King County actively engages individuals with barriers to care in several ways, including the following two ongoing projects. The CAPP (Care and Antiretroviral Promotion Project) team regularly attempts to contact individuals either not receiving regular HIV-related medical care or without viral suppression to do harm reduction work and help move people towards greater antiretroviral adherence or to work on whatever barriers they have to access optimal HIV care. CAPP gives participants a $50 incentive for participation. The MAX clinic is a walk-in clinic for individuals with major impediments to seeking health care (including substance use, mental illness, incarceration, and homelessness). MAX also uses participant incentives, including providing participants cell phones so they may better communicate with medical providers.

We have submitted two lists of viremic individuals to the CAPP team, one in 2016 and one in 2017. The lists contained 18 to 21 individuals. Most individuals have previously been referred to CAPP or MAX. Some of the individuals sought had relocated and were no longer King County residents. Most of the remainder are being served by the MAX clinic, have become non-viremic, or have reduced their viral load by over one log since their initial identification.

(quote from this page)

Certainly, history tells us that QUILTBAG people are at risk for being "thrown under the bus," but there is also plenty of evidence that most of the people working on HIV in the scientific and medical communities are fighting to help us, not to harm us.

It is also true that from what we currently know about evolution in general and about drug-resistant microorganisms in particular, it is reasonable to believe that eventually a virus that is repeatedly exposed to a certain antiviral will evolve resistance to it in a way that doesn't lose its transmissibility. But from what we've seen so far (a history of 30 years now with NRTI drugs), it does not happen fast.

So, if PrEP is right for you, I'd say take it regularly and don't worry about it. Worry about something really threatening, like car accidents or global climate change. Or taxes.

</flame>

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, drscorpio said:

The 7 cases are cases where blood tests confirm that the person was PrEP daily. There is an additional case where the guy was using on- demand dosing, but it is much harder to confirm whether the person is doing that because it doesn’t create a constant presence in the blood. 

There have been other cases of people taking PrEP, but their follow up tests confirm they were not taking it daily consistently. I presume those are the ones SunHornyBottom is talking about. 

No, I am personally aware about two dozen people who have taken PrEP consistently, daily but still get pozzed. Apparently, its effectiveness is in doubt. And I believe totally the "government" is capable of covering up this. And yes, I really think we are being thrown under the bus again...As we are at the beginning of a new, stronger epidemic...As long as all the homosexuals/injection drug users die off, the HIV epidemic could essentially end.(I am not saying it should be the case, but this is a fact, and this fact could be the basis of government's action or inaction.) It's not the first time the medical community is covering up vital information from vulnerable communities. So please consider the guidelines they give judiciously.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, SubHornyBottom said:

As long as all the homosexuals/injection drug users die off, the HIV epidemic could essentially end.(I am not saying it should be the case, but this is a fact, and this fact could be the basis of government's action or inaction.)

When you state something as obviously absurd as this, and claim it to be a fact, you are giving people a good reason to doubt your other assertions. I will explain that statement further if you wish. I'm trying to take your argument about personal knowledge seriously, but I'm honestly finding it difficult to imagine that you know two dozen people who are getting medical care and are taking PrEP regularly have seroconverted and I have not heard about any of these cases. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen, for example, if it happened to me, knowing my primary care provider. And I live in West-fucking-Virginia, by god!

If I get my test results back next week and am proved wrong, I will come to you with a humble apology. In the meantime, can you help us to understand your reality by explaining more specifically what's going on with these couple-of-dozen people that normal standards of medical care and reporting, not to mention journalism, have vanished like smoke?

Sorry if it seems like I'm coming down hard on you. You're throwing around some pretty serious accusations without a lot in the way of support, and it comes across like a conspiracy theory. I'm honestly not trying to say you're lying, I'm trying to say there must be some things you're not telling us, because your story on the face of it does not make sense - at least not in my world.

Edited by vnaught8x6
Added final sentence
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vnaught8x6 said:

When you state something as obviously absurd as this, and claim it to be a fact, you are giving people a good reason to doubt your other assertions. I will explain that statement further if you wish. I'm trying to take your argument about personal knowledge seriously, but I'm honestly finding it difficult to imagine that you know two dozen people who are getting medical care and are taking PrEP regularly have seroconverted and I have not heard about any of these cases. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen, for example, if it happened to me, knowing my primary care provider. And I live in West-fucking-Virginia, by god!

If I get my test results back next week and am proved wrong, I will come to you with a humble apology. In the meantime, can you help us to understand your reality by explaining more specifically what's going on with these couple-of-dozen people that normal standards of medical care and reporting, not to mention journalism, have vanished like smoke?

Sorry if it seems like I'm coming down hard on you. You're throwing around some pretty serious accusations without a lot in the way of support, and it comes across like a conspiracy theory.

...Good luck on your test...

I could be wrong, but wouldn't someone who personally knows 24 people who have contracted HIV while on PrEP,take that information to all and any medical oficials as possible?

If no response after doing that, run to the media with those two dozen people and expose the cover up by the government and medical officials.

Just making those claims on this site is basicly worthless, if, in fact, helping the gay community is the main point.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BlindRawFucker1 said:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't someone who personally knows 24 people who have contracted HIV while on PrEP,take that information to all and any medical oficials as possible?

If no response after doing that, run to the media with those two dozen people and expose the cover up by the government and medical officials.

Just making those claims on this site is basicly worthless, if, in fact, helping the gay community is the main point.

I am not out yet...I am discreet...

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...