reactions

Yes

6 hours ago, Yes said:

I can't figure out how to add a "reaction" to someone's comments. I can see those added by others. 

Is it because I'm a newer user?

I believe so.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:25 PM, rawTOP said:

I've changed the user groups up and it makes a difference to what you can do on the site. Basically "members" has been split into 3 groups:

1. New Members
  2. Members
  3. Trusted Members

New members can do very little on the site. They can only send a few messages, they can only post a few posts. They can rate only a few items. "New" is defined by a few things – length of time since you joined, how many posts you've made, and how those posts have been rated. Being low on any of those will make you a "New Member".

Members are those who have been here a while, done a bunch of posts, and had them well-received.

Trusted members are people who have been here a long time, done a lot of posts, and had them well-received. If a trusted member stops being active on the site eventually they will get demoted down to member, but actively participating will get them back to Trusted Member status.

Notice that "well-received" is a criteria in all the statuses. This means that down voting a post can slow a person down in achieving the next highest status. So those of you who are long-time members with the ability to do a fair number of ratings, please use that to slow down potentially problematic members.

As you go up in status you can

• Post more posts
  • Rate more things
  • Upload bigger images and files
  • Have more galleries with more images
  • Have more blogs

In addition, moderators will be more lenient as your status goes up. This will be especially true for Trusted Members – the points they'll be given will be lower, and hence the consequences less.

One change that's been made across the board is that everyone can now delete their own images, galleries and blogs. (I finally got past a problem that was preventing me access to the settings that control that). That will reduce the workload on moderators.

• Like 2

thank your for clarifying. 

interesting system. not sure i have seen this anywhere else. did the site admin(s) make this up or is it a known practice that is just new to me? 

looks like it's working for the people who are here as there are many members who have been regular participants for quite a long time. 

curious about how ppl think this system impacts the traffic and content. as a new member it's kind of a barrier to participate. but sometimes barriers are good to raise the quality. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Yes said:

did the site admin(s) make this up or is it a known practice that is just new to me?  ...

curious about how ppl think this system impacts the traffic and content. as a new member it's kind of a barrier to participate. but sometimes barriers are good to raise the quality. 

The software that runs the site has the capability and RawTOP set it up in an effort to reduce spam. It's pretty much a constant battle with social media of any kind to keep bots and trolls from spamming the site into uselessness, and the perpetrators of such keep upping the ante.  The current member levels here are "New", "Junior", regular (no prefix) Member, and "Senior". I just kicked over into senior myself, and I've been here for something like 8 years I think. But "New" only lasts a short while. Just keep posting and you'll get to Junior before you know it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Riverfk said:

OK drS, but is there a difference in meaning between a like and an upvote? 

You may need a philosophy professor to answer that. 🙂

As far as the function of the site works, I don't think so. @rawTOPmay have more insight. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, bredbiyou said:

When I upvote something I'm usually indicating agreement, or appreciation for the thought and effort put into a post.

When I 'like' a post, it's more of an indication that it made my cock twitch.

...but that's how I use them.

I never thought about it, but yeah that makes sense.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.