Isn't the Rona lockdown an amazing opportunity to get rid of STD's in the entire population?

Guest Appletree

Guest Appletree

If people are following the quarantine at all then virtually all of the STD viruses can't spread and are therefore vulnerable. Couldn't we take that opportunity to detect and treat them? They wouldn't be able to evade detection through latency periods. We could theoretically wipe out the vast majority of the viruses out there, and then fuck our brains out with a little less to worry about for some time.

Am I missing something?

Your first sentence reveals the flaw in your theory: human nature will prevent everyone from adhering to the protocol. I’ve had several married guys I’ve played with hitting me up to get together, I can only imagine what other gay guys are doing.

• Administrators

I doubt many guys are getting their STIs treated during stay-at-home orders. So yes, there's less transmission, but doesn't mean they won't come back once the lockdown is over.

• Like 1

Guest Appletree

Everything you guys say is right so far. But when you look how the world has mobilized around fighting the coronavirus, I can't help but think what we could accomplish for safe, bareback sex if we put a fraction of that effort into mobilizing against STD's.

A lot of people are still hooking up for sex. Just now, I have to turn down another offer from a guy whom in normal times, I would jump on the opportunity to play with him.  This is the 2nd guy I have to turn down.  The temptation is so great when you are horny. This is especially true for those who are into pnp sex....

• Like 1

Guest Porthos
On 4/3/2020 at 10:37 PM, ltrhornypig said:

A lot of people are still hooking up for sex. Just now, I have to turn down another offer from a guy whom in normal times, I would jump on the opportunity to play with him.  This is the 2nd guy I have to turn down.  The temptation is so great when you are horny. This is especially true for those who are into pnp sex....

You are so right....Last night I had two guys hit me up for sex...Both of them very hot bareback tops....I turned them down, but it was tough

The huge issue with this is that the normal access we might have to anti-STD treatments is simply not there, for fear of COVID-19 contagion. The Hassle Free Clinic has shut down for anyone who is not a contact of someone diagnosed with STDs, and even that might well end. Some STD infections might well peter out, be defeated naturally by immune systems, but that is all we can expect.

Guest CuriousDallas
On 4/2/2020 at 8:26 AM, Opensesame said:

Your first sentence reveals the flaw in your theory: human nature will prevent everyone from adhering to the protocol. I’ve had several married guys I’ve played with hitting me up to get together, I can only imagine what other gay guys are doing.

This is it in a nutshell. Guys are still hooking up.yeah, you May see a lot more guys on Grindr and while most aren’t actually hooking up some still are...same on the other apps too. It’s not hard to find guys in parks still looking too...social distancing be damned. Still a lot of ignorant straight boys who have needs and will take their chances too. The idea that everyone is adhering to a “lockdown” is inherently flawed. I went to go interview for a job yesterday and stopped at a convenience store and the place was packed...including a couple hot shirtless latino boys cruising the parking lot either looking or selling. Human nature doesn’t change that easily folks.

It would be difficult to do during this time since major portions of the world's health care systems are geared toward fighting the pandemic, however, if a global effort to test and treat STD's was mounted at some point in the future, they could be virtually eliminated. There are, however, 3 issues that would have to be overcome to make it work: 1. Anti-vaxers who resist the use of vaccines. 2. Bug chasers who think it's cool to acquire and pass on diseases. 3. Stigma attached to anything associated with sex.  

• 2 weeks later...

Nice idea. One problem where I live is that the Sexual health clinics are closed in lockdown and, while you can get tested at your your doctor or a lab, routine testing for some STIs is not available only testing when you’re symptomatic. I think that is because the authorities are keeping Lab capacity for Covid-19 testing and repurposing the throat swab test kits. As an aside it means that the requirements for getting PrEP prescriptions refilled have been relaxed requiring only blood tests for HIV and syphillis and not gonorrhoea and chlamydia. So on balance because of the need for reprioritising Lab resources it may not be quite as positive for reducing STIs as it might have been although the reduced amount of fucking around will have slowed transmission for the time being.

It will slow down and trasmission for those adhearing to not going around hooking up.

The downside is those that are still hooking up are more likely to contract anything and spread it to other who are so that population of people who are still hooking up would probablu have a higher rate of STI since it's a smaller pool of individuals. And yes a lot can't get treated right now

Once it's officially "over", we're all gonna going out and getting laid with any and everybody and it will in fact, create a huge STI problem as those that have it spread it with everyone who then goes on to sleep with everyone else.