B.C. health officials are recommending Gloryholes

hungry_hole

Ha, if the US adopts this (not holding my breath), it could be a boon for struggling sex shops.  i can see the religious right jumping all over this and claiming that Covid is (yet another) 'judgement from God."  But practically speaking, it could be helpful. 

As a healthcare provider who takes care of Covid patients, i'm not convinced this has been well thought out though. We are just starting to get science on Covid. Studies take time and results are starting to filter in and be published for peer review/scrutiny.  Sex shops are not known for their pristine cleanliness. The 'booths' with glory holes are small and not well ventilated (Covid patient rooms are negative air pressure, i.e., the air is always being sucked out of the room). Right now, we treat Covid as "droplet precautions" and some argue that should be "air born precautions."   With droplet precautions, one gowns up, mask, face shield and gloves.  Points of pathogenic entry are considered mouth, eyes and nose.  But Covid is a virus, it could theoretically enter other openings, e.g. anally. The anus/rectum is just the far end of the digestive tract beginning with the mouth... a known point of entry.  

We do not know if one can catch Covid from surfaces. According to the CDC:

"The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads."   [think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0522-cdc-updates-covid-transmission.html

These guys apparently haven't spent a lot of time in booths at sex shops. Spit abounds. The guy who's cock you may be sucking could have his or anothers spit on it from him jacking or another sucking him prior to you. The surfaces of the booth are potentially covered with the Covid pathogen.  in a Covid hospital room at our hospital, protocol is to disinfect every surface three times a shift... that's six times in 24 hours. And that's an isolation room. The only ones in the room are the patient and the care giver with all the PPE.  

A sex shop doesn't currently come close to anything approximating precautions. They have potential for 'safer sex,' but not as they currently opperate. 

Studies are needed lol. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, tallslenderguy said:

Studies are needed lol. 

Get your notebook and swabs and lead the way! (As a BCer, who cringes imperceptibly every time this story gets brought up by non-local media, I would suggest the goal is “safer” sex through glory holes as opposed to “safe” sex. Unfortunately my own innate fussiness has brought me to the ripe old age of 55 without ever having used a glory hole, so my take is strictly academic. Lol.)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...