"You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day"

Guest Az921

On 10/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Note: It is because you are a New Member. Keep posting and participating, and you will be promoted out of that group. 

Also, we were having problems with spammers making accounts to send private spam messages. Currently new members are very restricted in this area for this reason. 

Thanks! That was my question too.

It makes perfect sense to curb the spammers and nasty (not in the good way) people who just want to see the world burn (again not in the good way). I believe that I'm only a few more levels from being able to unlock the messaging but it's still frustrating to see it as a reminder of things I need to do.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GayDipperCubOH said:

It makes perfect sense to curb the spammers and nasty (not in the good way) people who just want to see the world burn (again not in the good way). I believe that I'm only a few more levels from being able to unlock the messaging but it's still frustrating to see it as a reminder of things I need to do.

Yeah I feel the same way!

On 10/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, drscorpio said:

Moderator's Note: It is because you are a New Member. Keep posting and participating, and you will be promoted out of that group. 

Also, we were having problems with spammers making accounts to send private spam messages. Currently new members are very restricted in this area for this reason. 

@drscorpio: I fully understand that you're careful in granting full features availability, because you obviously ventured too much spammers and scammers - That's really a bad attitude 🤢.
Nevertheless I'm missing some transparency on what are the prerequisites to get promoted by you for full features access. I'm nowadays more than a month actively contributing (29 posts), trying to add some value to the site, but still I'm completely limited and not able to communicate properly with any potentially interesting users, nor can I add comments as I'd like to, nor can I like or upvote any contents.

Any clear guideline on your promotion conditions could be encouraging for any newcomer, otherwise it's kind of frustrating 🤔

Thank you for your kind consideration.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, cagedclit1 said:

At what level does the messages open up I do not believe i m still new and still can’t private message. I had two warning points almost 2 years ago could it be that 

As has been noted several times throughout this forum: the moderators do not divulge exactly what combination of participation items (number of posts, number of responses generated, etc.) triggers a move from one level to another, because doing so would tip the hands of those who want to game the system in order to spam-post or spam-message the membership.

I will note that the system indicates you've only made 43 posts and replies in total over the years. That's not "nothing", but it's also not a huge amount of participation. One can be an "old hand" at reading this site without actually advancing very much.

I always advise people: keep posting, keep commenting, and the rest will follow pretty quickly once you make it a pattern.

I don't think a couple of warning points that old would really make a difference now, other than perhaps having set you back a little bit when you first got them. 

On 10/20/2020 at 3:48 PM, rawTOP said:

To be a little more specific… There were a few days where there were hundreds of new account registrations. They then used those accounts to send out spam private messages. The accounts were deleted and the PMs deleted as well. But in some ways the damage was done. People who had "send me an email when I receive a new PM" got the spam messages in their email inboxes. Clearly I can't delete email from your inboxes, so that couldn't be undone. Some of those users then reported those emails as spam to their email service providers. For example Google lets me see the percentage of emails that I send that are marked spam by their users. Most often it's 0%. Sometimes it's 0.2%, but it almost never gets above 0.5%. But this past Friday (days after I'd deleted everything I could) it spiked to 3.3%. Luckily it went right back to zero the next day, so Google should see it as an anomaly, not a meaningful pattern.

The logical way to deal with all that was to simply turn off the messaging system for new users. This is (primarily) a forum site, not a private message system. So now if you come on here and immediately complain that you can't send PM, I'm gonna assume you're a spammer. Participate in the public parts of the community, earn some trust, and in time you'll be able to send PMs. Just not right away.

I participate is most of the features if the site & I enjoy it. But I also enjoy getting private messages too. I sent admin a message asking if/how I can increase my mailbox size because it is now at 100% & I can't send or receive messages--& I don't have that many messages saved either. Which means that the mailbox size on BZ are really small. Anyway, the response I received was a "maybe" if I continued to rank up, which I have accomplished as well. I even offered to pay for a larger mailbox but that was ignored. HOW CAN WE INCREASE THE SIZE OF OUR BZ MAILBOXES???

Just now, FelchingPisser said:

You can dump old messages.  Pull down the 'options' button and delete.

How about "No"

But you are MISSING THE POINT anyway. 

I don't want to "dump old messages". I like to re-read and/or re-engage in email exchanges with members so why would I want to "dump" messages. How about a better idea? How about we have mailboxes that hold more than 10 messages. I mean, come on. It's 2022 now & storage is cheap, it's been cheap for at least 10 years now.

10 hours ago, TwinkChaserSlut said:

How about "No"

But you are MISSING THE POINT anyway. 

I don't want to "dump old messages". I like to re-read and/or re-engage in email exchanges with members so why would I want to "dump" messages. How about a better idea? How about we have mailboxes that hold more than 10 messages. I mean, come on. It's 2022 now & storage is cheap, it's been cheap for at least 10 years now.

AGAIN, you didn't seem to read RawTop's posting.

One of the ways they control the spammers that plague sites like this is by only gradually opening up abilities. More participation over a longer period of time = more message capacity.

You've made a total of 58 posts and replies in nearly ten years of membership on this site (five of which have been in the last day and two of which are in this complaint thread). That's roughly one every other month. That is not the sign of a person who is participating extensively in the site. Reading? Sure, you may be reading a lot on here, and that's great. But the site only succeeds when people *contribute* to the site, in terms of content, as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 7:21 AM, drscorpio said:

I understand trying to minimize spam, but if Users can’t communicate with each other - half of the point of being here is gone, and I’m less likely to spend time here. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.