Emoticons/reactions

• Moderators

You're still classified as a "New Member" - you can see that title right below your avatar photo. As you continue to participate on the site, you will get promoted to a member category that allows you to react to posts. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, drscorpio said:

You're still classified as a "New Member" - you can see that title right below your avatar photo. As you continue to participate on the site, you will get promoted to a member category that allows you to react to posts. 

Ah thanks!  Makes sense now 👍🤭🐷

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, drscorpio said:

Thanks DrScorpio, I had the same question 👍🏻

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 6:42 PM, drscorpio said:

good info 🙂

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Are all of them positive with the exception of the obvious one?  Or are some of them neutral?  Mainly, I’m curious about the “sad” and “confused” ones.

• Administrators
On 6/26/2021 at 10:44 AM, doctordoctor said:

Are all of them positive with the exception of the obvious one?  Or are some of them neutral?  Mainly, I’m curious about the “sad” and “confused” ones.

Without checking the admin area for the exact settings I'm 95% certain sad and confused are both neutral on points value since they can be used in both positive and negative contexts.

3 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Without checking the admin area for the exact settings I'm 95% certain sad and confused are both neutral on points value since they can be used in both positive and negative contexts.

That would make sense. One thought: I've occasionally thought about suggesting an "Angry" reaction, but I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea.  If it were to come about, though, I'd suggest it also be neutral on points, because one could be angry about a situation described in a posting, or angry about the opinion expressed by the poster. My gut feeling is that a single reaction (downvote) that generates a negative point, and the three (upvote, piggy, thanks) that seem to generate a positive point, are probably sufficient for points-affecting reactions. I'm assuming that "HaHa" is likewise neutral, in that one could be sharing the laugh at a joke posted by someone, or laughing at a ridiculous take in a post.

• Downvote 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

That would make sense. One thought: I've occasionally thought about suggesting an "Angry" reaction, but I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea.  If it were to come about, though, I'd suggest it also be neutral on points, because one could be angry about a situation described in a posting, or angry about the opinion expressed by the poster. My gut feeling is that a single reaction (downvote) that generates a negative point, and the three (upvote, piggy, thanks) that seem to generate a positive point, are probably sufficient for points-affecting reactions. I'm assuming that "HaHa" is likewise neutral, in that one could be sharing the laugh at a joke posted by someone, or laughing at a ridiculous take in a post.

HaHa is also +1. So there are 5 that give a point, 2 neutral, 1 that subtracts a point.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:42 PM, drscorpio said:

you will get promoted to a member category that allows you to react to posts. 

how long does that take?  i feel like i was able to do a reaction one day, but haven't been able to again.  it's a frustrating aspect of the platform.  you want us to interact, but you prevent us from doing so....

7 hours ago, beefyinkedguy said:

how long does that take?  i feel like i was able to do a reaction one day, but haven't been able to again.  it's a frustrating aspect of the platform.  you want us to interact, but you prevent us from doing so....

It's not a question of time; it's a question of how much you engage with the system by making posts and commenting on others' posts. If it were time-based, the spam folks would simply seed lots of dummy accounts, sit back, and let them "mature" into accounts that have much more access, then wreak havoc on the system. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, drscorpio said:

I'm glad I came across this thread as I had the same question and it confirms what I thought would be the case. Are you able to reveal at what member level the permissions appear? Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.